Half Marathon Training and Body Pump

Options

Replies

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Body pump can be done while you are running and should have very little effect on your training. I would recommend running before doing the body pump classes.

However, the biggest issue I think you have is the injury history you mentioned. You need to do one of two things. Either go to competent running store to figure out what kind of shoes you should be wearing to convert yourself to minimalist running. I have been converting to minimalist running this winter and I cannot recommend it enough. Just did 30 minutes this morning on the treadmill in my socks and it felt sooo good.
    What's the second thing?

Either go to store and get proper stability, neutral, motion control shoe or convert to minimalist style running to prevent further injury.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much plateu
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Body pump can be done while you are running and should have very little effect on your training. I would recommend running before doing the body pump classes.

However, the biggest issue I think you have is the injury history you mentioned. You need to do one of two things. Either go to competent running store to figure out what kind of shoes you should be wearing to convert yourself to minimalist running. I have been converting to minimalist running this winter and I cannot recommend it enough. Just did 30 minutes this morning on the treadmill in my socks and it felt sooo good.
    What's the second thing?

It's a typo. It's meant to read 'or convert'.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

What's the second thing?

It's a typo. It's meant to read 'or convert'.

Okay. That makes more sense.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I ran my first half last May and am currently training for my second half (end of January) I agree with most of the posters here, you need to increase your mileage (slowly, 10% a week) I'm not an expert, but I would recommend running 3 or 4 times a week. 4 being preferable. You should have one long run a week, which should increase to somewhere between 11-14 miles depending on your training schedule. I cross train with weights and an occasional bike ride. But if you are training to run, you need to run :wink:

As for the shin splints, I had those starting out too. A couple of things, strengthen your calf muscles (the shin splints are usually caused by an inbalance of muscle in your calves, I can actually see my "shin" muscles now!), while sitting draw out the alphabet with your toes (sounds silly I know) and you may need to work on your running form, try not to heal strike, when running try to hit the mid part of your foot. And make sure you have good running shoes, I agree with one of the other posters about the minimalist..but that is for another thread!

I love to have "running buddies" so add me if you want, and I would love to try to answer any questions for you! I'm not an expert, have only been running for over a year, but I have been through a lot with my running :tongue:
  • bsmith404
    Options
    I am doind the Hal Higdons Novice 1 Half Marathon Training Plan. Thanks so much for the advice. I could use all the advice I can get. I am going to go get fitted for shoes soon. I just have to find a place and living in Madrid with the laguage barrier hope that I can get that accomplished. They love to run here so hopefully I can find a good place to fit me for shoes.

I never got shint splints until one day I just couldn't run. I was so tired so I walked and walking is what caused them so ever since then I refuse to walk. When I get tired I slow down instead of walking.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    When is your half marathon? I've run quite a few. I have a training plan that I can send to you that I received from Fleet Feet from a training group that I did last year.

In essence you need to build up your distance, do interval training, and cross training...REST IS IMPORTANT. Be sure to constantly hydrate yourself and eat properly. Proper nutrition is VERY important...especially as you increase your distance.

You also will need to start running more than two mi multiple times a week and make 4-5 your standard.

example plan:

Sun: Rest
    Mon: 2-3 miles
    Tues: interval training (i.e.: warm up 5-10 min, run 2 min on, 1 min off 20 minutes, cool down 5 min)
    Wed: Rest or X Train (yoga, swimming, cycling, rock climbing, etc)
    Thurs: 2-3 miles
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: EASY Long Run (ie: 5 mi - and increase as time goes on. Walk if you need to. It's all about training your body to be able to move for longer period of time aka ENDURANCE) Never run more than 11 miles. Do 7-8 the week before the race. Don't over train the week of the race...your body needs REST!!!
  • bsmith404
    Options
    Ok great. Do I send my email address to you? The Hal Higdon has me doing no more than 10miles and thats a week before the race. My race is on April 7th but if i'm not ready I'm going to do the Rock and Roll half marathon on teh 28th. In your opinion for a person in my position would you do the later half marathon. Either one doesn't matter to me. I signed up for the April 7th on only because the Rock and Roll wasn't offering the half until two weeks ago but I am signed up to do the 10k.
  • sammyneb
    Options
    Ok great. Do I send my email address to you? The Hal Higdon has me doing no more than 10miles and thats a week before the race. My race is on April 7th but if i'm not ready I'm going to do the Rock and Roll half marathon on teh 28th. In your opinion for a person in my position would you do the later half marathon. Either one doesn't matter to me. I signed up for the April 7th on only because the Rock and Roll wasn't offering the half until two weeks ago but I am signed up to do the 10k.

You can totally run the race on the 7th since you have some running, my first I followed a 24 week training schedule because I had never ran before (well except for a month prior) But a 16 ro 20 week training scheduled for your first would probably be more beneficial (so you might want to think about doing the Rock and Roll, I have heard they are GREAT races anyways!). I agree with prior poster about the training schedule, that is pretty much the exact schedule I followed for my first half also. Your longest run should be 2 weeks out from race day (and I would say run 11 not 10) The last miles of the race are the HARDEST. I would suggest getting a little closer to 13. Make those long runs SLOW and LONG so on race day you are running a lot closer to the equivilant of the amount of time you ran for training. You will run faster on race day...it just happens. :)
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing the Rock N Roll 1/2 Marathon in April, but mine's the 27th. Good luck with your training, I'm getting ready to start mine up again after taking a couple weeks off for food poisoning and a knee injury!
  • sammyneb
    Options
    I'm going to try to post my first training schedule (22 week), hopefully it converts ok:

22 Week Program
    Beginner
    Walkers & Runners

Sunday Monday Tuesday WednesdayThursday Friday Saturday Total
    Wk Rest Easy Moderate Rest Easy Rest Long Miles
    1 0 2 2 0 2 0 3 9
    2 0 2 3 0 2 0 3 10
    3 0 2 3 0 2 0 4 11
    4 0 3 3 0 3 0 3 12
    5 0 3 4 0 3 0 4 14
    6 0 3 4 0 3 0 5 15
    7 0 3 4 0 3 0 5 15
    8 0 3 4 (Hills) 0 3 0 4 14
    9 0 3 4 0 3 (Hills) 0 5 15
    10 0 3 4 (Hills) 0 3 0 6 16
    11 0 3 4 0 3 (Hills) 0 7 17
    12 0 3 4 0 3 (Hills) 0 7 17
    13 0 3 4(Hills) 0 4 0 8 19
    14 0 3 4 0 4 0 8 19
    15 0 4 4 0 4 (Hills) 0 5 17
    16 0 4 5 (Hills) 0 4 0 9 22
    17 0 4 5 0 5 (Hills) 0 10 24
    18 0 5 5 (Hills) 0 5 0 7 22
    19 0 5 4 0 5 (Hills) 0 11 25
    20 0 5 5 0 5 0 8 23
    21 0 4 3 0 4 0 4 15
    22 0 4 0 0 2 0 0-3 9
    23 13.1!

HILLS: Incorporate hills into this day's traini
  • rnash1
    Options
    I ran my first half off of Higdon's Intermediate program but I had a pretty good base built up before I started it. Everyone on here that has recommended a long, SLOW increase in mileage is correct. I ran M-T-W-TH-S, still do. Workout 3 times a week at the gym lifting. If you want to train for a half I would forget other cardio activities, believe me you'll get all the cardio you need from the running. You'll kill your legs by the time April rolls around if you are spinning AND doing this training program.

Trust the program, follow what it says religiously and you'll do fine. Going to start training for a 1/2 in March next week. Good Luck!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I think the OP works out at my gym but i cant tell because of the small pic.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Hal's novice hm program recommends cross training. I agree it isn't necessary, but in looking to cross train, the op is trusting the program.... :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If the Half is your focus, don't wear the body out with too much other focus.

1 long run on weekends in middle aerobic zone, that's the one that keeps increasing up to 10 miles at least, eventually.

1 middle run of 30 going up to 60 min in active recovery zone, following 1 weight lifting day.

1 spin class as intense as you care to make it, following and proceeding a rest day.

Train aerobic system on long run to burn fat.
    Train anaerobic system on cross training spin to deal with lactate acid better.
    Get extra run in to aid recovery to lifting and add mileage for legs.
    Lifting to make all the muscles stronger.

4 days a week.
  • bsmith404
    Options
    I'm looking to do a long run during the week either on Monday or Wednesday as those are days I tend to have as my kids are in school. Weekends are rough as I reserve those for family time and plus if my husband is traveling, which he does often, I don't have to find a babysitter for Saturday.

I'm just trying to figure out this Hal Higdon novice 1 vs novice 2. What about strength training? Body pump or something more low key 1-2x a week?

Sorry for all the questions but first i'm nervous and second i'm trying to find a good plan that will help me build back up my miles and endurance.

Off topic but how do you quote someone just so you could reply to that post?
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to do a long run during the week either on Monday or Wednesday as those are days I tend to have as my kids are in school. Weekends are rough as I reserve those for family time and plus if my husband is traveling, which he does often, I don't have to find a babysitter for Saturday.

I'm just trying to figure out this Hal Higdon novice 1 vs novice 2. What about strength training? Body pump or something more low key 1-2x a week?

Sorry for all the questions but first i'm nervous and second i'm trying to find a good plan that will help me build back up my miles and endurance.

Off topic but how do you quote someone just so you could reply to that post?

First, to quote you will see to the far lower right of someones response as "Reply/Quote" Hit quote and then type below that.

Second, it is ok to be nervous and ask questions, that is how you learn. I was not done being nervous until I crossed the finish line. :) For your first 1/2 and since you need to build your base back up, stick with Novice 1. Novice 2 is a little more advanced with speed work etc.

You can still strength train, there is no issue with that. Strength train on your days scheduled for cross training. I am not real familiar with body pump but it sounds like it would be ok once a week or so.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Given your base miles are low ish, I'd go with novice 1.
  • bsmith404
    Options
    Ok thanks so much. Ok so I now I have a plan I just need to tailor it to my schedule. I want to rest on Sundays with my long run on Monday's or Wednesdays. You guys are really great and seem to know your stuff.:wink: