Juicing

Options
13»

Replies

• lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would use juicing as a supplement to your day and not do any kind of extended juicing unless you can get adequate fat and protein in. But also-be aware that you may not enjoy the drinks. I really want to like fruit and vegetable juice from a juicer. I can't even choke it down.
    What fruits and vegetables are you juicing? Some juices can taste really good. A go to of mine is spinach, apple, and some berries or maybe an apricot. It's delightful.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

What fruits and vegetables are you juicing? Some juices can taste really good. A go to of mine is spinach, apple, and some berries or maybe an apricot. It's delightful.

I don't have a juicer, just ones I've bought at different restaurants. I can't remember the different flavors, but I've never found one I liked. Much to my chagrin. I love the idea of being able to get a bunch of veggies in at once.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options

I don't have a juicer, just ones I've bought at different restaurants. I can't remember the different flavors, but I've never found one I liked. Much to my chagrin. I love the idea of being able to get a bunch of veggies in at once.
    That's my original motivation for juicing.
    I just can't manage to suffer through a plate of veggies.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    For me I wouldnt be able to do a complete Juice fast. But, I LOVE my juicer. I make a "mean Green" every morning for breakfast. You can look it up online for the recipe. And I like to do the fuits for treats whenever I feel like one. I dont eat enough vegetables or fruit so this helps A Lot!! I love my juicer!! Enjoy yours :)
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I didnt realize that people Juice things other than fruits and veggies. I would never juice a steak lol. I was just curious on what others have done with a juicer because I want to start using mine.

Yeah, I believe the juicers are really only meant for vegetables and fruits. There are alot of recipes online. Have fun with it!!
  • christy548
    Options
    I use predominately as supplemental to my diet, because I find I'm not good about eating as many fruits and veggies every day. I do occasionally do a detox or reboot for 5-7 days and only drink juice and water. There are a lot of great resources on the internet for good recipies, what to mix and what not to, etc. Here are a few good websites I've come across:

http://rabbitfoodformybunnyteeth.com/category/juicing-2/
    http://fatsickandnearlydead.com/
    http://www.fernsnutrition.com/juicer_recipes.htm
    http://urbanbushbabes.com/2012/03/my-favorite-juicing-recipe-the-benefits/

It's really good for you and despite a lot of the myths that you're not getting all the benefits from them (which is true to an extent) you're still taking in more than you likely would had you not juiced them. I certainly don't eat an entire bunch of kale and spinach in one day, but if I use it in a juice, I do.
  • kmcdonald14
    kmcdonald14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've done several successful juicing cleanses after watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, and usually juice one to two times daily to maximize my macro/micro nutrient intake.

My weight has crept up and I'm planning to kick start my weight loss with a 10-15 day cleanse. You will feel awful at about day three, but push past it and you'll start feeling amazing. I do mostly juice and some cooked veggies or salads--just juice gets unsatisfying even when they taste great.

Spinach is my favorite vegetable to juice, and it's got lots of protein. If you're balancing your juices, you will meet all of your nutritional needs (if not exceed them). Don't let people dissuade you--they're not experts and there is tons of good information out there. Many people with chronic illnesses find their problems become healed when juicing regularly.

Juice on!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I love my juicer and use it all the time. I'll make just juice, like apple or pear, or I'll make combinations like carrot apple and ginger. If I'm trying to make it as a real meal replacement I will use the juice that I justmade and add it to a blender to make a smoothie with maybe banana and/or peanut butter or vegetable protein. the person who said they added waffles and other non fruit or veggie items was just being a jerk. If you want more recipes inbox me I have a ton.
    I have a recipe for juice pulp muffins as well so that you can still get the fiber that you extracted from the fruits and vegetables.
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    So if I'm tracking my juice do I actually track it as 3 carrots, 2 celery sticks, 1 apple etc?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    So if I'm tracking my juice do I actually track it as 3 carrots, 2 celery sticks, 1 apple etc?

No because you are not eating the whole produce - you are wasting a ton of nutrients if you juice which is why many experts only allow you to count juice as one serving of fruit/ veggies a day regardless of how much you drink. Measure the amount of juice you actually extract and drink. Blending is arguably healthier, you get all the fibre, all the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants but don't concentrate the sugars.
  • shelleyspots
    Options
    A fresh glass of vegetable juice just feels great! I add spinach, carrots, ginger, beets, powdered wheat grass. yum. I also juice kale sometimes. Apples are great too. I enjoy a glass as a snack. It gives you a real energy boost and if you are putting the good stuff in your body, and you feel better, it's easier to eat better.
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I actually find the taste quite disgusting but it's almost the only fruit/veg I get so it's that or nothing
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I actually find the taste quite disgusting but it's almost the only fruit/veg I get so it's that or nothing

If that is all you are getting try blending bright/ dark coloured fruits and veggies because these are more nutritious than apples or celery. I swear you cannot taste frozen spinach and avocado in a mixed berry smoothie, for example. Preferably retrain your tastebuds to accept or even enjoy fruits and vegetables in some form or another - be that soup, curries, stir fries, tomato sauce on pasta, fresh or dried produce in baking recipes. Don't wait until you get sick, like I did, to change your attitude.