Korean Bulgogi Recipe

Options
I have had a few people asking me for this recipe, so I thought I would share it with you here! This is hands-down the best bulgogi I have had - wayyy better than anything you could get in a restaurant.

I typically use chicken, as it's healthier and I don't typically eat a ton of red meat. If you choose to do the chicken version, just use 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts in place of the beef. This tastes great with extra firm tofu (cubed), as well!

You can also use this marinade as a stir fry base (to die for!). Just use 2 chicken breasts and lots of veggies!

BULGOGI (Korean beef)
Serves 4

1 pound beef boneless top loin or sirloin -- trimmed of fat cut, diagonally across grain
1/8 inch slices

¼ cup soy sauce (use low-sodium for a healthier option)
3 tablespoons sugar (you can use honey or a few packets of 0 calorie sweetener, if you'd like)
2 tablespoons sesame oil
¼ teaspoon pepper
3 green onions -- finely chopped
2 cloves garlic -- chopped
1 tablespoon optional sesame seeds -- optional add to above (I don't usually add these)

Mix ingredients and pour over meat. Stir beef into marinade until well coated. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.

Best grilled over a charcoal fire (fish rack or other rack that prevents beef from falling into fire is necessary) May also be oven broiled, pan-fried or stir-fried.

Nutrition Info

Beef Version ~ Calories = 391; Carbs = 11; Fat = 33; Protein = 18

Chicken Version ~ Calories = 211; Carbs = 11; Fat = 8; Protein = 28

Replies

• Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! Will absolutely be making this in the near future!
  • harmonyh10
    harmonyh10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    thanks.

any low cal versions of samgyeopsal? :)

i wish there were more Korean food options here in Phoenix.

and i cant even find 1 place that serves korean fried chicken.(best chicken on the planet by far)
  • Chemgirly
    Options
    Sounds great! Thanks!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    My husband makes Bulgogi quite frequently. The recipe we use is nearly identical to the one posted and is delicious on chicken (I don't eat red meat either) as well as beef (from what I've been told). The marinade can also be used on extra firm tofu, provided it's not soaked long and you're using a low-sodium soy sauce. :)

We've found it best to let the meat marinate overnight, sometimes two nights, in the fridge, in a sealed container / plastic bag. The special "Food Saver" containers help draw more flavor into the meat, making it even more tender and flavorful. :)

Sometimes we'll tweak the recipe slightly and hot peppers (pequins) or fresh ginger. Sometimes we'll add both.

Good recipe. Thanks for posting! :)
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I just happen to be online and see this post!

I miss Korean food! I will definitely give this a try!

Thanks!
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Oh my God! Can't wait to make this! Thanks for sharing. I miss my bulgogi.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dc729
    dc729 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!! Thanks for posting this! I can't wait to try it. :)
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    bump
  • TamiSH2
    TamiSH2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I lived in Korea for a lil over a year. I'm going to try this. I luvvvvvvvvved Korean food. Got addicted to raw squid with soy sauce and mustard though.... lol......
  • leanveins
    leanveins Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    thank you! bump
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU
    I was dating a korean and in Korea and I totally got hooked on all sorts of korean food, great to have a recipe
  • mbz0616
    mbz0616 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What do you usually serve along with the bulgogi?
  • oDapho
    oDapho Posts: 50
    Options
    Yum! I used to love Bulgogi when I was still eating meat.. however I am now a vegetarian. Would this recipe be ok if I substituted tofu for the meat? It looks great!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    bump!