Looking for some real answers from a variety of sources

Options
I am so confused. I am trying to lose weight and also get healthier in general. I've made lots of positive changes. I've given up cigarettes and pretty much soda except on occasion.

and yet...I am so confused about how to sweeten food. I know that sugar is not good for me. I have high triglycerides and was told to try and avoid sugar and have been doing so for about 10 years. I know that I started using Splenda around that time which was about when it came out. Now I hear people constantly bash Splenda and talk about how unhealthy it is and how bad for you it is. I did several forum searches about Splenda and never did figure out exactly what the problem with it was. Also I recently bought a box of Stevia sweetener to try and didn't much care for it. Lately I've gone back to the super old school sweetener of aspartame, little blue packets from Aldi's. I don't understand these sweeteners. I know I'm going to use one and it probably shouldn't be sugar due to my triglycerides. I didn't much care for the taste of Stevia and I know most products I can buy as snack foods for work and school often have Splenda or Aspartame in them.

Before you tell me to go all natural I can guarantee you that it is not going to happen. I do eat fruits and veggies, probably not as much as I should but fruit every single day, and try to get in veggies too. I get in dairy and whole grain and fiber and all sorts of good stuff. But if I'm told to avoid anything but organic or whole or raw foods, it is not a viable option for me, I cannot afford that, and I'm not interested in doing that. I like to indulge in tasty things and try to do so in moderation, or with variation to make it a little healthier and less fattening and with less calories that the fat filled version. I have high cholesterol and high triglycerides and that helps to shape my food choices as well. But I am looking for some real information about the sweeteners?

Why are Splenda and Aspartame bad for me? Is there solid proof? What references are there to show me this? are these references reputable and free of conflicting interests? Why is Stevia good for me, or better than alternatives? Why does it kind of taste strangely? Why aren't foods using this for their low cal snacks? What do you use and why? How do you feel about it and why? How can you back this up?

Not using sweeteners is not an option for me. I will use one that shortens my span a few years before I will just go without.

Thanks again ahead of time for your input. :)

Replies

• wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    There are a variety of different sweeteners out there, both natural and artificial. Most of the folks that have told me over the years to stay away from artificial sweeteners did so because they are "artificial" and made from chemicals. It doesn't sound like you're hung up on this so if the calories fit your day, then have at it. I personally avoid aspertame because I've found that I have an allergic reaction to it in the form of acne. I cut it out of my diet almost a year ago and cleared up. As for stevia, it doesn't taste like sugar because it isn't. It is a natural sweetener that comes from a different plant. I don't use it in everything, but I like it in my coffee and tea. As a general rule, I would look at calories first and avoid anything that is high calorie and that you don't care for the taste. If you've been using Splenda for years, and it isn't hampering weight loss, then why quit?
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    What about honey? Would that work for you? it's disgusting in coffee (in my opinion) but pretty good in most other things.

as for the sweeteners, I don't know, have never researched it.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Best not to sweeten at all as you will lose your sweet tooth. You could wean yourself off slowly though.
  • lithiumkat
    Options
    Again, the idea of not using sweeteners at all is simply not an option for me. I would rather shave a few years off and enjoy myself with sweetened coffee than to stop using any form of sweetener. This has to be an option that is realistic that I feel like I can go with. Honey is basically still just sugar and something I'm really not supposed to have because of my health issues regarding sugar and triglycerides. Plus I use sweeteners more for coffee than for anything else and if it's gross in coffee that pretty much defeats the purpose. I have heard the negative sides of Splenda and Aspartame, and the logical part of me wonders how it can be FDA approved if it's really as harmful as some folks say it is. And Aspartame has been around for a LONG time surely if there were long term negative side effects they've noticed it by now I'd think. Can anyone present any positive factors for Spenda or Aspartame??

Thank you for the input guys. I'm kind of agreeing with wmagoo27 in that I really don't care whether or not it is artificial, I do wish to be a healthier version of myself, but if man can modify something into a better version, why not take advantage. Central Heating and Cooling is not "natural" either but most people take advantage of that manmade upgrade, same thing with running water, it would be more natural to go to the source and retrieve water boil it and then use it, but most of us prefer the convenience of our sinks at home. I know I'm going way left field here, but I'm only trying to make a point.

I understand that the more you put natural back into your lifestyle and diet you can see some major positive results, like eating more fresh veggies and fruits, and I'm all for that. But I'm not going to give up cereals, I will opt for Shredded Wheat, Cheerios, Fiber One, and Kix over the sugary variety. I am not going to give up butter, I will go for the light version from Land O the Lakes. Etc. I just think it has to all be about balance, at least for me, for it to be a LIFESTYLE and LONGTERM change that I'm able to stick with. If I make it something that is a pain in the rear for me, and unattainable and I'm unhappy and constantly longing for "forbidden" items, I feel like all I will be tasting is failure.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I use sugar free creamer in coffee and I use sugar free pancake syrup in other foods. Even though it is sugar free it is still sweet enough
  • lithiumkat
    Options
    If it's sugar free, but still slightly sweet, I'm betting it's got artificial sweeteners in it. Which isn't bad, but I've opted to take away the sugar free creamer (to eliminate the calories) and drink my coffee with only a couple packets of artificial sweetener in it since it has no calories but adds a little sweetness which is all I really need. But I will check out the label of the creamer I've got over there by the coffee (I'm thinking it's sugar free, or low sugar) and take that idea into consideration as well, I hadn't thought of keeping the creamer and eliminating the sweetener.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    If it's sugar free, but still slightly sweet, I'm betting it's got artificial sweeteners in it. Which isn't bad, but I've opted to take away the sugar free creamer (to eliminate the calories) and drink my coffee with only a couple packets of artificial sweetener in it since it has no calories but adds a little sweetness which is all I really need. But I will check out the label of the creamer I've got over there by the coffee (I'm thinking it's sugar free, or low sugar) and take that idea into consideration as well, I hadn't thought of keeping the creamer and eliminating the sweetener.

Use regular sugar. There are a number of genuinely terrifying studies I have read (I can pm you links if you want) on the effects of aspartame, sucralose, and acesulfame-K (also known as acesulfame potassium...which, by they way, was discovered while they were trying to create a rat poison).

Seriously, regular sugar is naturally occurring. yes, it has calories, but they're natural, not chemical. Other options are avage nectar (tastes like honey) and honey itself. I like honey in my coffee, but I typically just use a flavored coffee creamer, which is sweet enough for me.

ETA: I'm sure you have room in your day for 50-100 cals of sugar. Not the best for you, but if you're not willing to cut it out it isn't going to hinder your weight loss.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    What about honey? Would that work for you? it's disgusting in coffee (in my opinion) but pretty good in most other things.

as for the sweeteners, I don't know, have never researched it.

Honey is just sugar that has been processed by a bees innards instead of in a factory. It has a nutritional profile very similar to sugar. So if you're going to use honey, you might as well use sugar.
  • lithiumkat
    Options
    Again I'd like to point out to everything that SUGAR IS NOT AN OPTION FOR ME EVEN IN SMALL AMOUNTS as I have been told by my doctor to avoid it due to health problems. Naturally occurring sugar in fruits and things is fine but white sugar is a NO NO for me per DOCTORS ORDERS!!!! I do not want to have a heart attack before age 30 thanks.

I am not looking to cut out sugar in order to lose weight, I'm looking for alternatives because I CANNOT HAVE SUGAR DUE TO DIETARY RESTRICTIONS per my doctor based on health problems I struggle with. I'm not trying to caps lock here to yell or be pissed, I just want to add emphasis as I feel that these very important points have been overlooked based on some of the responses I've gotten. :)
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you're just being melodramatic or what, but the idea that you would rather die an early death than give up your beloved sweeteners is kind of scary to me. Maybe you need to address this idea first? That sounds like a pretty unhealthy relationship with food

I'm a believer than anything in moderation is fine. That is, if you're using a little bit of sweetener (or sugar, or whatever) daily, and it fits into your calories, I wouldn't stress too much over it. Some people here will not give up their diet soda, oh well, and I don't think it matters if you're keeping it reasonable. Now, if you're dumping numerous packs of sweetener into a single cup of coffee... I think you could admit that it's not moderation anymore. With a little self control, you could cut back over time.

I haven't given up anything I want to eat. I've just exercised greater control over the portion sizes and the frequency I have unhealthy things, but to say that I'd give up unhealthy foods forever (hello ice cream) is just ridiculous.

With your health issues, it kind of sounds like you really need to focus more on doing what you need to be healthy. Take care of yourself!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Again I'd like to point out to everything that SUGAR IS NOT AN OPTION FOR ME EVEN IN SMALL AMOUNTS as I have been told by my doctor to avoid it due to health problems. Naturally occurring sugar in fruits and things is fine but white sugar is a NO NO for me per DOCTORS ORDERS!!!! I do not want to have a heart attack before age 30 thanks.

I am not looking to cut out sugar in order to lose weight, I'm looking for alternatives because I CANNOT HAVE SUGAR DUE TO DIETARY RESTRICTIONS per my doctor based on health problems I struggle with. I'm not trying to caps lock here to yell or be pissed, I just want to add emphasis as I feel that these very important points have been overlooked based on some of the responses I've gotten. :)

Oops, I must have misread; sorry about that! So if your doctor has said that regular sugar is out, I suggest blue agave syrup. It is naturally occuring, not a white sugar, tastes similar to honey. You might like stevia DROPS (the powder has a nasty aftertaste, imo). All others out, one or two packets of SPLENDA a day won't hurt you. I use it occasionally.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is totally fine if you don't have PKU, you don't get headaches from it, and you stay well under the ADI, which off the top of my head I couldn't quote, but it's quite a high dose limit.

Edit: for those that have research suggesting otherwise, I'm happy to look at it--but dose and context need to be considered here.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Ok, sooooo you don't mind shaving a few years off by using cholorine as a sweetener, but shaving a few years off using actual SUGAR is out of the question? hhmmm okie dokie.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    You might not want to hear this, but try going to black coffee. You can find coffee that's brewed so it's not burnt or stale - coffee that tastes the way coffee should - and not have to worry about the sweeteners. I personally shop online at www.coffeefool.com (I have no financial stake in the firm - just a very satisfied customer) and love their stuff.
  • rsharper97
    rsharper97 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I just recently read that if you are using artificial sweetners, then the best option is Sweet and Low because it has the longest history and has no data linking it to medical problems. I hope that helps.
  • r0ckclimbingm0m
    Options
    I use stevia to sweeten my coffee and tea. I've yet to hear bad things about it (though that doesn't mean there isn't some study I've missed), whereas I've heard plenty of bad about the artificial sweeteners (not to mention my sister gets ill almost instantaneously from aspartame). It does taste slightly different than other sweeteners, but you acclimate, and I've come to like it more. However, I think people are right, best not to use any sweeteners because of the sweet tooth you develop. Other than that though, I don't think the stevia is a big deal.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    My two cents:

Sugar is NOT entirely bad for you. Too much sugar is bad for you. Included as part of a balanced diet, in moderation... it's completely fine. I'm wondering if maybe what the doctor said is a little out of context. Even diabetics are no longer told to avoid all sugar. In addition, the word "sugar" is often exchanged for starch or carbohydrates -- these actually are the contributing factors to high triglycerides. If "sugar" is the real issue... honey, agave, fruits, bread, etc would all be problematic. So, again - I think the dietary restriction may be misunderstood.

I completely understand being wiling to live a few years less to not give up something that gives you joy. If someone ever tells me coffee will kill me, well... I'll be well-caffeinated but dead.

Processed sugars are worse for you than natural. Whenever you can, opt for unprocessed sugars from sources like you mentioned - mainly fruit.

Artificial sweeteners - science doesn't agree. I've done a LOT of research on this. Some will say they are chemicals and can increase your chance of certain cancers and/or lead to weight gain, not loss. My PERSONAL history with them is quite extreme. I was a Splenda-holic. I was very proud of reworking hundreds of recipes to cut calories by including Splenda instead of sugar. The results were tasty indeed, but the side effects were not. I found my natural sweet sensors were impacted greatly by using Splenda and I needed more and more to achieve the same taste. I also found I CRAVED other bad-for-me-foods like salty and crunchy things. Even a Diet Soda would make me dream of pizza or pretzels. So...I cut it out completely. I went through withdrawals, was agitated, had headaches, and my taste buds were wonky for weeks. FINALLY, my tastes return to normal and the crabbiness went away. I found things are SHOCKINGLY sweeter now that I'm Splenda-free.

I've tried a few other versions of sugar, like agave and honey. I don't particularly like the taste or texture of these... so I tend to shy away from them unless they are in baked goods.

I do like Truvia. Science doesn't agree on that either. I believe it's a more natural, non-chemical sweeter. It takes some getting used to in flavor, but it's no calorie and provides the sweetness factor. So when I DO buy packaged foods, I look for truvia (stevia) as in ingredient... or go for a smaller portion of the full sugar item. Truvia has become my go-to sweetener.

Specific to hi-tri's, extra weight can cause this to skyrocket. Triglycerides are stored as fat in your tissues and muscles. Excess calories are converted to triglycerides. Think generic heart-healthy diet: Limit high-calorie foods and carbohydrate, especially high-sugar foods such as cookies, soda, and fruit juices. Alcohol also has an elevating effect on triglycerides. You can use diet and lifestyle changes to lower triglyceride levels... especially for lowering borderline-high levels (150 to 199 mg/dL) back to normal levels (less than 150 mg/dL). Do an internet search or check out evidence-based websites like WebMD for more information. I think it's critical to understand sugars hide in just about anything that comes out of box or package... and this is again where "sugar" is often replaced with starch or carbohydrate.

Hope that helps!
  • Marieevans813
    Marieevans813 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia. It is natural and tastes better than stevia. It's made from stevia.
  • ColorfulWeirdo
    ColorfulWeirdo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    A quick google search of Kix and Cheerios (the two on your list that I looked up) both list Sugar as the third ingredient. I understand that it may be hard for you to completely eliminate sweetners, but before you say that you will have a heart attack and die if you eat sugar, you should make sure that you're actually not eating any sugar.

I use bark honey. It has a lower GI than sugar, and I need to use less of it because it's naturally sweeter. Unlike the poster above, I don't mind it in my coffee.

Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners give me massive migraines (they also give four of my seven co-workers migraines), but the FDA doesn't recognize that as a side effect.
  • lithiumkat
    Options
    Well, they say cigarettes cause cancer and can lead you to an early death and how many cigarettes are still sold on a daily basis? That quite clearly IS poison and yet people still won't or can't give it up. If I've given up cigarettes but refuse to give up a few packets of sweetener a day, is it really your place to judge me?

Everyone has SOMETHING that they don't wish to give up regardless of negative health/side effects. Many many things. You can take ALMOST ANYTHING and come up with some research that points to negative side effects or ill results of using said product.

Do I want to live 3 years longer and be miserable the whole duration because I am unable to sweeten my coffee due to bad side effects, not really, I'd rather live 3 years less, and be happy for all of those years than live 3 years longer irritated at the fact that foods I love are forbidden to me because of a lack of suitable sweetener. No I am not being melodramatic here, maybe some of the others that want to judge people based on their food choices or that want to use scare tactics to prove how horrible a substance on the market is being a bit melodramatic. I just don't believe in being a food nazi to the degree of making my life overly complicated and inconvenient. I wish to enjoy life and find solutions I can stick with.

And I do believe I read some research that stated the amount of aspartame one would have to consume to lead to cancer based off of that of lab rats would equal out to something along the lines of a person drinking literally multiple flats of diet soda daily, for prolonged periods of time to come even close to that.

I would like to hear the opinions that include pros and cons for both sides of the sweetener debate if anyone has a less biased view on all the different sugar alternatives. Not just the cons because I know that both exist, and biased reviews aren't very helpful.