Looking for some real answers from a variety of sources

Options

Replies

• jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I know that Splenda is the only sweetner that the FDA has approved to eat when you're pregnant or nursing and it is okay for children. I am none of the above, but this is why I choose it over the others.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Concrete girl offered links
    perhaps you can pm her for them.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Whatever you use, do not use aspartame. It is toxic. Splenda is not so good either. If you don't like stevia, try sacchrine. It is better than the first two.
  • d4ley1
    d4ley1 Posts: 73
    Options
    the good thing about tuna is its completely natural
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Whatever you use, do not use aspartame. It is toxic. Splenda is not so good either. If you don't like stevia, try sacchrine. It is better than the first two.

Please provide links to studies that support your claim.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I personally use Splenda (2 packets per day in my coffee) and I don't care that it's not natural, I care that it's calorie free!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you arent allowed to have sweets maybe it's best to just retrain your taste buds instead of looking for alternatives?

also i want to point out that's it not true to say that all diabetics can't have sugar. there's more than 1 type of diabetes...
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    if you arent allowed to have sweets maybe it's best to just retrain your taste buds instead of looking for alternatives?

also i want to point out that's it not true to say that all diabetics can't have sugar. there's more than 1 type of diabetes...

... and it's actually not accurate to say ANY diabetic can't have sugar...
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Use what works for you. Aspartame, Sucralose, and high amounts of Stevia give me an immediate headache. I stick to small amounts of the old school sugar, honey, and real maple syrup.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    So here's a question...

Are you looking for everyone to give their facts on sweeters other than sugar, or are you looking for everyone to tell you that you can and should use aspartame/ splenda/ fake sweet crap? Because a lot of people have made some really good suggestions and provided some really good arguments and you kind of keep blowing them off.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I think you need to figure out a way to save up and work with a nutritionist because honestly, I don't think that anything anyone says is going to really help you because you have this attitude of I don't want to do this and I've already made up my mind not to change. You want suggestions as long as they don't have the possibility of changing what you are already doing......

This is a lose-lose situation. You say you can't afford organic, etc. That's fine. There are people that still manage to eat healthy on a budget and not on organic items. You say you don't want to sacrifice taste, etc and don't want to eat more veggies or fruits...but yet, you can increase your veggies and fruits while eating tasty meals. But of course, that suggestion goes against what you have said you "don't want."

You are upset about the rep of sweetners but refuse to give them up. Do your research then either make a personal decision to use sweetners or not. Honestly, I don't understand what answers you are looking for. Again...save up and work with a nutritionist/dietitian.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options

... and it's actually not accurate to say ANY diabetic can't have sugar...

Thank you. x 1000.
    Sugar is NOT just the granulated white stuff you bake with/ put in coffee.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I personally use Sweet n Low in my tea, just try to limit how much I use daily. I have no research, but one of the pathologists I work with is convinced that aspartame is tied in with the increase in neuroblastomas in recent years. But who the heck knows. If you like the sweetener you use then just go with it, I would just try to not overdo it.

What is your triglyceride level? As was pointed out by a previous poster there is sugar in the cereals you eat. Plus carbohydrates are as much a contributor as sugar. I'm not a carb hater, in fact I love them. Just pointing it out. I suggest going back to the doctor and finding out your current blood values and getting a concrete dietary plan.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Try several products and use what you like. Ignore the "experts" who post that X will kill you and Y is rat poison. They remind me of that girl in the commercial who is going on a date with a "French model" and believes it because he said so on the internet. Ignorance abounds in the cyber world. There is a "study" about how dangerous water is. (dihydrogen monoxide) http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html <-- funny read. But I'd be willing to bet some of the people here have actually forwarded the dangers in a mass email.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    So here's a question...

Are you looking for everyone to give their facts on sweeters other than sugar, or are you looking for everyone to tell you that you can and should use aspartame/ splenda/ fake sweet crap? Because a lot of people have made some really good suggestions and provided some really good arguments and you kind of keep blowing them off.

AMEN!
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    And BTW here's a study on the cancerous effect of aspartame. But as was previously said you can find a study on the toxicity of almost anything.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1392232/
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    So, if the aspartic acid doesn't bother you, why are you looking for something different? Your link shows that it is definitely a neurotoxin, but in such small amounts is negligent. And the other amino only affects people with a certain condition. If you do not have this condition, and are not phased by the neurotoxin factor, why look for something new? If it works for you, keep using it.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    And BTW here's a study on the cancerous effect of aspartame. But as was previously said you can find a study on the toxicity of almost anything.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1392232/
    Thanks for the link!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I think you need to figure out a way to save up and work with a nutritionist because honestly, I don't think that anything anyone says is going to really help you because you have this attitude of I don't want to do this and I've already made up my mind not to change. You want suggestions as long as they don't have the possibility of changing what you are already doing......

This is a lose-lose situation. You say you can't afford organic, etc. That's fine. There are people that still manage to eat healthy on a budget and not on organic items. You say you don't want to sacrifice taste, etc and don't want to eat more veggies or fruits...but yet, you can increase your veggies and fruits while eating tasty meals. But of course, that suggestion goes against what you have said you "don't want."

You are upset about the rep of sweetners but refuse to give them up. Do your research then either make a personal decision to use sweetners or not. Honestly, I don't understand what answers you are looking for. Again...save up and work with a nutritionist/dietitian.
    You're awesome!
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do agree that some of the responses have been a little snarkier than necessary, but I will also admit I'm a little puzzled because your original post said "I like to indulge in tasty things". But tasty can mean so many things other than sweet. Whatever route you go on the sweetener issue, I really think you'd benefit by exploring other tastes. To me, the real pleasure in food these days comes from amazing savory taste combinations. When I was a kid, I had a wicked sweet tooth but nowadays I rarely want anything sweet other than fruit. This isn't because I "gave up" or even consciously cut down on sugar, but because as I explored new tastes and found ones I liked, they began to take over more of my eating.

Again, not saying you have to give it up... but if you very gradually cut down on sweetness in general, you may find your taste buds awakening to and appreciating other taste sensations that just happen to be healthier.