Help me learn to LOVE exercise

Options
I love the results of exercise. I love feeling stronger and healthier and smaller. But, I hate the actual act of exercising. I hate getting up early and going to the gym. I hate every second that I'm on any kind of cardio machine (elliptical, treadmill...)
I've recently started using the resistance machines, I don't enjoy using them either.
I'm not trying to whine, and I am WILLING to do what it takes to get through a work out.
But I'm worried that since I struggle so hard with making myself do it that I might give up
.Is there any way to make working out more enjoyable? Or if I hate it now will I hate it forever?
Just wondering if anyone went from hating it to loving it and how.

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Try free weights - more interesting than machines.
    I dislike cardio machines, with the exception of the rower, where I like to set myself mini challenges, using intervals. But generally I'm happier on a real bike, or running outdoors.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Ps how often do you go, and how long have you been doing it.

I enjoy fitness more the more Ido it.
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I find that the fitter I get, the more I enjoy it. I hated it when I first started and had no stamina or anything but now that I can go longer/faster/etc I enjoy the challenge of pushing myself to see how much better I can get :)
    Some people just can't enjoy the gym though. You could look into other things like dance classes, ice skating, etc. to add a bit of fun :)
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Play pretend - if you're running, pretend you're being chased by a lion or you are running in a marathon and you're on the last stretch. If you you're cycling pretend you're in the Tour de France or the olympics. Lifting weight? Pretend you have come across an unfortunate accident and you have to lift something off a child to save her life. This may sound wanky but if you try it you might just find it's more fun than you think!

Other than that, find someone who is willing to do it with you. Ask at the gym to see if they can find you a buddy - I think ALL gyms should have buddy systems!!
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I cannot say this will work for everyone, but for sure it works for me. I accept my gym visits like the escape of all "to-do-s" of the day, the time for myself only - no one asking for something, no obligation. It's a couple of hours that you dedicate ONLY to yourself :) This helps me enjoy it.

I hope this helps :)
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    This was me at one point. I had a friend with all kinds of physical problems and she was doing fantastic stuff. She was struggling but she was going for it. For some reason it clicked with me that day. It's in my mind. If she can do it, I can do it too. Why am I whining?

Having said that, I've experimented with a lot of stuff along the way. I discovered that I like outdoorsy stuff: water sports, hikes, zip-lining, etc. I don't get an opportunity, or rather I don't arrange an opportunity for the stuff I really like often enough. The gym thing, I don't really care for. I like dancing to Zumba though. Even though I don't care for it, I discovered that some things I do for a purpose of getting fit and some things I now do for fun. I try to get a balance. At the end of the day, I just decided it was time to accept that exercising is good for me and I CAN and WILL do this. I can't say I love the act of doing it, but I do love what I've accomplished. I love that I got rid of that mental block that was weighing me down.

I have a friend who prefers rote exercises and wants to check stuff off her list. Not me. But while I'm there, I might challenge myself to a bit of HIIT or try to beat my PR records in the weight room. I might get a fancy pedometer and challenge myself to walk more than I usually do or climb a bunch of stairs. It works for me. Someone might introduce me to a few new exercises and I might see if I can do them now. One day I walked miles to see a friend just to see how long it would take me to get there. You could also join some challenges on here or challenge someone on here. Find ways to pep it up. Walk a 5k for charity. Nobody said it has to all be on the treadmill.

Three things:

1. Get rid of the mental block.
    2. Experiment a bit.
    3. Try challenging yourself outside your normal comfort zone.
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love the results of exercise. I love feeling stronger and healthier and smaller. But, I hate the actual act of exercising. I hate getting up early and going to the gym. I hate every second that I'm on any kind of cardio machine (elliptical, treadmill...)
    I've recently started using the resistance machines, I don't enjoy using them either.
    I'm not trying to whine, and I am WILLING to do what it takes to get through a work out.
    But I'm worried that since I struggle so hard with making myself do it that I might give up
    .Is there any way to make working out more enjoyable? Or if I hate it now will I hate it forever?
    Just wondering if anyone went from hating it to loving it and how.

I look at my exercise time as something I get to do, not something I have to do or should do. Changing your mindset to view it as a treat rather than a chore helps alot I think. Truthfully, I don't always enjoy the hour or so of exercise itself but I do enjoy how I feel the other 23 hours in a day. :)
  • Lovely_Skeleton
    Options
    Some things I do:

• excercise with a friend
    • excercise by taking a long walk to a place you really enjoy
    • watch a movie on a tablet while you use cardio machines
    • talk to a friend on the phone while you excercise; it can make the time pass quicker
    • take a break every once and a while, in the gym

Good luck!! :3
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Can you listen to music or watch TV while on the treadmill?
  • Lconsla
    Lconsla Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I hated the gym too. I checked out some fitness dvds (YouTube is a great place to get free ones) and bought a home gym. I like it much better now. try different ones to see what you like
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    My rationale is... I have gone freelance this year and at the moment enjoy more freedom than I would if I was working a contract or permanent job where I would be on site, every day.
    So it means I can make it to the gym early, and set myself up for the day, instead of commuting early to work and finding myself too knackered to go to the gym in the evening.

I don't know how long this will last, as freelancing is tough.. so every week/month I can do it, I skip off for the gym with a sense of freedom.
    I'll mourn the day if I have to give it up and work on site again....
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Just got to get out there and do it.

The loving it part comes later when you start seeing the results and improvements.

Edit to add: You can try playing a sport, working out/running outside, getting new music every month, and changing up your routine im order to keep your workouts more exciting.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    The key is finding something that you love doing. Try out lots of activities/sports that you might never have considered before and find something you enjoy. Forcing yourself to spend an hour a day doing something you loathe is never going to work long time as you'll probably soon start making excuses not to do it.

Having fitness related goals also helps with motivation, aiming for PRs in speed / distance / weight / reps etc. creates something to strive for and a sense of satisfaction when they've been met.
  • martinh78
    Options
    Try changing the time that you go to the gym? I love a late afternoon run but can't bring myself to do one early morning!

I found the gym after work was something to look forward to through the day. I don't use a gym now though, as it became a chore (and too expensive). If that's the case have you considered running outdoors, and home workouts? Could work. I'll sometimes do a couple in the day. I'm going to do some strength and bodyweight stuff in a few minutes, and will go for a run later, before dinner. As I don't need any equipment or have to travel to teh gym I can be flexible.

Guess that only works if you are self-motivated though, which you sound like you are.
  • Reptileszz
    Reptileszz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    For cardio machines like treadmill and stationary bike, two words. iPad & Netflix. Its the only way to be able to do it for very long. Then I recommend a series like Saving Grace, Breaking Bad, Weeds, etc and then only watch them when you are working out. Makes you look forward to it so you can see what happens in the series. Works for me to get me into my nasty cellar every day in the winter. Good luck.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Agree with most of what has been said. I HATED exercise when I started, now I'm seriously contemplating fitness qualifications - I just can't get enough!!

If what you're doing isn't working, stop doing it and do something else. You don't need to go to a gym to lose weight, there is a plethora of home workouts not to mention running, swimming, hiking, cycling....it could just be the gym you don't like. My exercise routine varies because I get bored of whatever I'm doing - as soon as I feel that I "can't be bothered" to do a certain workout I know it's time to do something else for a little while.

Alternatively, if you have to go to a gym for whatever reason - like people have suggested, take a buddy!

Anyway, best of luck :)
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Are there any other classes you'd be interested in? Zumba? Pole dancing? Belly dancing? Line dancing? Cage Fitness? Kickboxing? Boxing? Boot camp? Obstacle courses? There are a lot of options other than just cardio machines or lifting. Maybe try a new one here and there. There are tons of DVDs and freebies on Youtube.

If you can eat at a calorie deficit without exercise and you're happy, that's an option too.
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Start by STOP saying you hate it, start telling yourself you LOVE it

Repeat after me - I LOVE going to the gym, I LOVE it when I work out, I LOVE how it makes me feel and I LOVE what it does for my body!
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Look at other types of exercise. Don't think of the gym as the Alpha and Omega of exercise.
    Things like simple circuits at home can be more rewarding and less monotonous because of the stop start nature and changing exercises.
    Also, what about sports / team sports?
    I know lots of people for whom the social aspect of being part of a team is what get's them to football 3 times a week.
    It's really about experimenting - when you find something you enjoy doing, you'll be hooked.
    Don't be afraid to talk to the trainers in the gym about ths either. Part of their job is to keep you motivated and they will appreciate that you've come to them with the problem.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I don't like going to the gym. I workout at home. However, I used to hate anything if it was called exercise. I could "go for a bike ride", or "go for a walk". But if anywhere the thought or purpose of exercise was in there, I would resist. I don't know why. Anyway, I started making myself do the workouts. And I did them because I wanted results. After awhile, I started looking forward to it a little. Then one day I woke up thinking about it and really wanting to jump right out of bed and do it. That day I wondered if my real self had been abducted by aliens.