Does bacon - grease = way less calories?

Options
On a pack of bacon I have, it says two slices is something like 80 calories? But when I cook it, with zero oil, so much grease comes out, at least two teaspoons. Wouldn't that subtract from the calories stated on the package?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,002 Member
    Options
    Yup. Some people count the calories considering the average number crunching that people do for calorie consumption is almost always too low, then they'll post complaining of no weight loss.:laugh:
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    nevermind the smart *kitten* answers. yes, blotting the bacon will take some fat off but i would still log it the same.
  • lamarnnem
    Options
    There are pre cooked bacon with lil fat in them. Best option if your concerned is turkey bacon. But if you are eating two slices it shouldn't be bad.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Agree, I eat like 4-8 slices of turkey bacon with the same caloric value as like 3 strips of pork bacon.

I dont eat for the calories, I just find pork bleh.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    There are pre cooked bacon with lil fat in them. Best option if your concerned is turkey bacon. But if you are eating two slices it shouldn't be bad.

Yes, Turkey bacon is really good, and only 25 cals per slice. If you want to stick with real bacon, I would check the info on the precooked bacon to see what it shows to see if there is a huge difference. Also, if you broil your bacon on a rack where the grease drains off while cooking, you will lose a lot of the grease. Then pat the remaining grease off with paper towels.
    I am so used to turkey bacon now that I can't stand the feel of the grease film on regular bacon on my teeth.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I gril (broil) my bacon, and it does lose a fair amount of fat that way, but I log it as per the packet anyway. I've got to the point where I don't want to do that kind of number crunching, and it probably makes up for a few extra cals that sneak in unlogged elsewhere.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I've always assumed that the calories given for cooked bacon already accounts for a fair amount of fat being cooked out. Looking at what comes out if it, one slice uncooked should have way more than 80 calories, since a tablespoon of butter has 100 calories.

Either way, mmm piggy goodness! Worth it.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I gril (broil) my bacon, and it does lose a fair amount of fat that way, but I log it as per the packet anyway. I've got to the point where I don't want to do that kind of number crunching, and it probably makes up for a few extra cals that sneak in unlogged elsewhere.
    You know I always wondered what the hell "broiling" was!!!

I always grill bacon but for a while now I have used Tesco's healthy eating, reduced salt medallions and they are a lot less greasy than normal bacon - you have to catch them at the right moment or they turn a bit dry but I would rather have those than turkey rashers - I found those really very dry no matter when you catch them!!!

I use the packet calorie amount for logging as well per two slices - it's close enough for me.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm on team Turkey Bacon also. It's yummy with WAY less calories! Not only does it not produce grease when cooked, but it also cooks faster than pork bacon.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is not bacon. It's an abomination.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    1342240820387_5819460.png

I like mine chewy, so I don't really get a whole lot of fat that renders off.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is not bacon. It's an abomination.

Truth. Franken-bacon.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I had a BBQ bacon cheese burger for dinner last night. It was amazing!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    personally i'd just count it. worst case is you have a little buffer in your calorie tally for the day.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    What?
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    personally i'd just count it. worst case is you have a little buffer in your calorie tally for the day.

WOW!! I doubt anyone will listen to this total logic.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Probably less, but I would log it the same. And I would eat REAL bacon. That turkey stuff is just nasty, a mockery of the noble pork bacon. :P
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Life is too short.....don't over complicate it.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I would assume that the calories on the package refer to after the bacon is cooked. Especially since no one eats raw bacon because of the potential for parasites. Hey! If you eat raw bacon, do you get to count less calories because the parasites will consume all the nutrients.

My question for you is who cooks bacon in oil???? :noway:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    On a pack of bacon I have, it says two slices is something like 80 calories? But when I cook it, with zero oil, so much grease comes out, at least two teaspoons. Wouldn't that subtract from the calories stated on the package?

The calories listed are for after it's cooked. Bacon is about 40 - 50 calories cooked depending on the thickness of the cut. No one expects you to eat it raw so those calories aren't listed.

The only stupid calculation like this I've ever seen is on boxes of microwave popcorn. They typically list calories cooked and uncooked. Most foods list calories as they would be after you prepare it for eating.