Does bacon - grease = way less calories?

Options

Replies

• Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Agree, I eat like 4-8 slices of turkey bacon with the same caloric value as like 3 strips of pork bacon.

I dont eat for the calories, I just find pork bleh.

meh, no video of you eating turkey bacon, didn't happen.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Wow, degreased bacon, what the frell is the point?!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I kinda don't log any day I have bacon... can't handle the calories from eating HALF A PACKAGE

Blotting the grease doesn't help me much I'm afraid.

Damn... my tummy is beggin for bacon now.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    On a pack of bacon I have, it says two slices is something like 80 calories? But when I cook it, with zero oil, so much grease comes out, at least two teaspoons. Wouldn't that subtract from the calories stated on the package?
    I feel you...I LOVE BACON!
    It's just so unhealthy, and no, I log it in as it's listed on the label.:grumble:
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    THIS!
    I've always assumed that the calories given for cooked bacon already accounts for a fair amount of fat being cooked out. Looking at what comes out if it, one slice uncooked should have way more than 80 calories, since a tablespoon of butter has 100 calories.

Either way, mmm piggy goodness! Worth it.

AND this...

Turkey bacon is not bacon. It's an abomination.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating 80 calories, and trying to find a way to make it less than what it is will only hurt you in the long run.

Bacon never forgets.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I've always assumed that the calories given for cooked bacon already accounts for a fair amount of fat being cooked out. Looking at what comes out if it, one slice uncooked should have way more than 80 calories, since a tablespoon of butter has 100 calories.

Agree with all of this.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    can someone please explain to me why they feel bacon is SO unhealthy??
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    can someone please explain to me why they feel bacon is SO unhealthy??

People can't seem to accept that nutrition is not black or white (healthy or unhealthy). Food has varying nutrient values from bacon to tofu, from chocolate to carrots. They have no concept of the entire nutrient spectrum.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Cook it, weigh it, eat it, log it as "Pork - Cured, bacon, cooked, broiled, pan-fried or roasted" and be done with it. The package is going to be useless, because what packaging says is a serving and what you actually eat are almost always two different things.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Ummm...don't you use the bacon grease for your gravy? Why on earth would you waste such a delicious ingredient?!
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to see other bacon lovers. People say bacon is bad for you. I never realized the calories until I started on here. I just ate what I wanted and whenever I wanted. Now I am logging food I pay attention to the back of the package. I eat less bacon now, but if I want a big bacon sandwich I go for it and reduce the next meal calories. Using a grill will take a lot of the grease out. I don't like the film the grease leaves so I drink warm or hot beverages along with my food and make sure I get as much grease as I can out. If I ate turkey I would get it instead.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 slices sometimes 3 once a week it hasent hurt my weight loss.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'd rather have a moderate portion of bacon than the imposter.
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ummm...don't you use the bacon grease for your gravy? Why on earth would you waste such a delicious ingredient?!
    OMGosh I never thought about that. I just throw it out. Will try it next time with some homemade biscuit. After I count up all the calories and see how much exercise I have to do to keep it off.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

Agreed. I always assumed they calculated the NI knowing a lot of the fat would drain off. I wouldn't lower the calories just because a lot of fat comes off of it.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of turkey bacon... that's sacrilegious! :P

Center cut bacon really doesn't have all that many calories (per the package)... I would assume that does not account for removing some of the grease, though (I just log it per the package nutritional info, so any removed grease calories would just be a bonus for me for the day).
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i use either turkey bacon or bacon medallions (already have fat removed) and the ones i have are 33cal per slice and 0.3fat x
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    OMGosh I never thought about that. I just throw it out. Will try it next time with some homemade biscuit. After I count up all the calories and see how much exercise I have to do to keep it off.

You can also use it as a substitute for the butter when baking your biscuit. Use a 1:1 ratio. It's so awesome.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I love veggie bacon!