What does your doctor say you should weigh?

Options
I am 5 feet 4 inches and had set my UGW at 140. It was exactly 100 lbs less than I started and well within the "normal" BMI. This week I went to my doctor and found out I had set my goal too low. He told me that because of my body type, I should actually shoot for 155 (which would technically be in the overweight category, but he said that the BMI guideline doesn't really fit my type) and only go lower if it seemed necessary after that. Even if I go lower, he told me that I really shouldn't go below 145, which is just barely in the "normal" BMI range.
I honestly didn't realize that my body type could make that big of a difference in what my goal weight should be. Has anyone else had this happen?

Edit:I feel like I need to defend my doctor really quickly. He said that the number isn't important, but I asked for a weight to put into things like MFP and BodyMedia sites. He isn't pushing anything, I just wanted a number. I know it isn't the most important thing. I just thought it was interesting.
Also, as I said above, he didn't base it on BMI.

Replies

• LetsGetFitMama
    Options
    I am 5'7 and my Dr wants me at around 130lbs which isn't even my goal weight. I would be just as happy around 160-170 if I can get there.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If my GP ever told me I had to weigh a certain amount, I'd search for another doctor. BMI tells me a "healthy" weight range for a guy just under 5'8" is between 130-161 lbs - I view that as tiny. My goal is to get back to at least 185 lbs at 7% body fat. Scale weight isn't the metric I go by.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would worry about it later, honestly, when you get closer to goal. You can make all the predictions you want now, but really you should base your decision on your body composition when you get close. At this point it's hard to say what your LBM will be, and any goal weight that doesn't consider LBM and BF% is just silly, IMO. It's body FAT that puts you at high disease risk, not the number on the scale.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My doctor didn't get caught up on any particular weight but did tell me that 160 lbs was a good weight to be at. The charts say that I'm supposed to be 140-160 lbs with the "target" at 149 lbs.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I would worry about it later, honestly, when you get closer to goal. You can make all the predictions you want now, but really you should base your decision on your body composition when you get close. At this point it's hard to say what your LBM will be, and any goal weight that doesn't consider LBM and BF% is just silly, IMO. It's body FAT that puts you at high disease risk, not the number on the scale.

I'm with her, I wouldn't get so hung up on a number right now. I'm on the high end of the BMI too, because the last time I weighed 140 Ibs. even I thought I looked sickly. Just keep doing what your doing!
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm a big boned woman 5' 10" tall. I had a number in mind when I went to the doctor last February. I asked him what he thought and he said about 176. My number was 175 so I'd say we are on the same track. However, now that I am getting close, I will be happy with 185. That's only 10 pounds away. :happy:
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My doctor said my body was happy where it was. Well it is not and I want to get to 170.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    No offense to doctors out there but generally they haven't a clue because they base it on BMI which is a bogus #. "In my opinion", 155lbs at 5'4" is still a little heavy unless you have super low body fat.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I feel like I need to defend my doctor really quickly. He said that the number isn't important, but I asked for a weight to put into things like MFP and BodyMedia sites. He isn't pushing anything, I just wanted a number. I know it isn't the most important thing. I just thought it was interesting.
  • hopsonc24
    hopsonc24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My nurse mid wife told me my body is probably most comfortable at 168. I am almost 5'8. I am currently 174 and would like to be 155 again.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet 4 inches and had set my UGW at 140. It was exactly 100 lbs less than I started and well within the "normal" BMI. This week I went to my doctor and found out I had set my goal too low. He told me that because of my body type, I should actually shoot for 155 (which would technically be in the overweight category, but he said that the BMI guideline doesn't really fit my type) and only go lower if it seemed necessary after that. Even if I go lower, he told me that I really shouldn't go below 145, which is just barely in the "normal" BMI range.
    I honestly didn't realize that my body type could make that big of a difference in what my goal weight should be. Has anyone else had this happen?

I am the same height as you and before I started MFP I was 175lbs and morbidly obese. My doctor prescribed Xenical and liposuction. I took the Xenical tablets and I went for the prep talk with the surgeon. He told me to lose at least 28 lbs for the lip to work.

A few weeks later I went out for lunch with my Dad who is quite elderly and some guy started shouting at my Dad cos he was taking too long to order the food at the counter.

I went over and called the guy out..he called me a fat f**k `big wake up call forget BMI and doctors`

I joined MFP and started losing without the meds/docs/surgeon Sometimes you just got to take a hold of your own life x
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I feel like I need to defend my doctor really quickly. He said that the number isn't important, but I asked for a weight to put into things like MFP and BodyMedia sites. He isn't pushing anything, I just wanted a number. I know it isn't the most important thing. I just thought it was interesting.

That makes more sense. The difference between 140 and 155 should not impact your approach much, though. Modest deficit, whatever activity you choose to include, appropriate macros will get you where you need to be. :)
  • MoreBean13
    Options

I am the same height as you and before I started MFP I was 175lbs and morbidly obese. My doctor prescribed Xenical and liposuction. I took the Xenical tablets and I went for the prep talk with the surgeon. He told me to lose at least 28 lbs for the lip to work.

A few weeks later I went out for lunch with my Dad who is quite elderly and some guy started shouting at my Dad cos he was taking too long to order the food at the counter.

I went over and called the guy out..he called me a fat f**k `big wake up call forget BMI and doctors`

I joined MFP and started losing without the meds/docs/surgeon Sometimes you just got to take a hold of your own life x

WHAT?!?! I can't even....
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    huh. good thing i don't take diet and fitness advice from doctors.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If my GP ever told me I had to weigh a certain amount, I'd search for another doctor. BMI tells me a "healthy" weight range for a guy just under 5'8" is between 130-161 lbs - I view that as tiny. My goal is to get back to at least 185 lbs at 7% body fat. Scale weight isn't the metric I go by.

^^^^^THIS
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    huh. good thing i don't take diet and fitness advice from doctors.

I didn't take her advice she was thrilled that she could drop my meds down and took me off one completely
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust doctors on that.. I've been told I should be 10 pounds more than I am. I'm actually trying to lose some because my bodyfat is higher than I'd like.
    I've also been told I was just fine at a time where I was underweight years ago. I even told him I was working on re-gaining weight and was there about dizzy spells! He told me I didn't have to worry about it and was fine where I was.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Doctors. Don't get me started. They have like one Heath and nutrition class and think they can tell you things about it because they are an M.D.

Some of them might know things because they are people too. Mine is active and runs and surfs and eats a healthy diet. So, he knows stuff similar to the way I know things. But, that doesn't mean he should be providing that as professional advice.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

^ Great answer!
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I have never understood what ppl mean by - big frame- , - small frame- ...

Bones in all the ppl are the same, its the muscle/fat what makes you skinny or overweight/obese. Mom always said i had a ´big frame´, I found out how to discover if im really into the big frame side only to discover that im not, im a small one.

Ppl that say that honestly I think its because we have been fat all our life and they are just scared to see us skinny.. or way too afraid to see a big change in us.