What does your doctor say you should weigh?

Options

Replies

• mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I told my doc he was crazy when he told me what I should weigh. 5'8" here and he said 130. Puh-Leese.....I tried 140 out for "size" and looked like someone should bury me quick!!!!!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    My Doctor told me my weight wasn't an issue (yes, really) because my body fat was dropping so well between visits.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I am 6'1" and he wants me at 187. Currently 203-4
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm just playing it by ear right now. My original goal weight was 150. Hit that and I can lose more so I changed it to 130 which is how much I weighed when I graduated high school. I started lifting now and am paying more attention to my body fat percentage. I'm only 5'2" and I've seen goal weights for my height from 98 to 145 pounds. I'm trying not to get set on a certain number too soon.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    my doctor only asks how I'm doing it....she's never told me how much to lose.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    All doctors would be negligent by not telling you to get to the top number of your healthy range.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet 4 inches and had set my UGW at 140. It was exactly 100 lbs less than I started and well within the "normal" BMI. This week I went to my doctor and found out I had set my goal too low. He told me that because of my body type, I should actually shoot for 155 (which would technically be in the overweight category, but he said that the BMI guideline doesn't really fit my type) and only go lower if it seemed necessary after that. Even if I go lower, he told me that I really shouldn't go below 145, which is just barely in the "normal" BMI range.
    I honestly didn't realize that my body type could make that big of a difference in what my goal weight should be. Has anyone else had this happen?

I'm about your height, with a very large frame (same wrist measurement as my 5'10" large-framed husband), so I thought I could offer a little insight here. I had more than one doctor recommend that I lose weight when I was at 142. I have been most happy with my weight when it was 135. That would've put me in the low 20s for body fat percentage, which is healthy. I would recommend you work backward by determining your lean body mass, and then add a healthy range of body fat, and make that your goal (possibly adjusting as you go, as your lean body mass could change as you go).
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    The only comment a Dr has ever made about my weight has been to tell me I'm too thin to be diabetic (some had started in the family. My mum, even when within a healthy BMI, is told to lose weight by the Dr because of heart health issues, therefore I keep that in mind when thinking what my weight should be. I'd rather stay lighter and hopefully not develop the issues she has than have to try to lose weight once I start to have issues.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    huh. good thing i don't take diet and fitness advice from doctors.

I didn't take her advice she was thrilled that she could drop my meds down and took me off one completely

This is what my doc and I are shooting for. My goal is currently 180, but I want it to be a lean 180.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10. My doctor told me I shouldn't weigh less than 145 because I'd be putting myself at risk for osteoporosis, but I decided my goal of 138 was close enough. I run, lift weights, and have lots of calcium in my diet so I think my bones are just fine.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It's not just body type. My nutritionist thinks my goal weight would be fine, even though it's right outside normal BMI. She thinks body fat % and waist circumference are more important -- and she's right, they are better indicators of future health outcomes.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 and the last time I went to the dr (2005) he wanted me to get down to 160

my UG is around 150 ..
    but 1st I want to hit 175 then go from there ( my lowest as an adult was around 190)
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    huh. good thing i don't take diet and fitness advice from doctors.

Ditto!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    My doctor really doesn't say anything. I should be under 159 to be in my "healthy BMI range" but he's never said anything. When I go for my physical if when I weigh in and i'm up he'll say "well, you're a bit up from last year" or if I'm down he'll say "so you are down quite a bit, what did you change?"

But i've also never had any health problems and our family has no history of diabetes or heart problems or anything like that so I think he isn't as concerned?
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    My doc said to me "180 would be a good weight for you" that is 60#'s lighter than when I started losing this weight, which is a 25% weight loss. Which would put my BMI within "normal" range. *I* would like to get down to 150 minimum, with a 'toned' body. (though, I am shooting for 140)
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and my doctor told me I should weigh somewhere between 170-190. I was, at one point, around 155 (smack dab in the middle of a "normal" BMI for my height) and I was definitely too thin. Still healthy, but too thin for my body type.

Now, at just under 175, I have room for improvement in body composition but the number on the scale can stay where it is if it wants (or move down, but definitely not all the way back down).

Anyway, back to you - go ahead and work your way down to what the doctor recommended, then reevaluate. You may find that they were right and that is a good weight for you, or you may decide you want to do just a bit more. Regardless of what the number ends up as, though, just work towards being and staying healthy.
  • titi4j
    titi4j Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I feel like I need to defend my doctor really quickly. He said that the number isn't important, but I asked for a weight to put into things like MFP and BodyMedia sites. He isn't pushing anything, I just wanted a number. I know it isn't the most important thing. I just thought it was interesting.
    Also, as I said above, he didn't base it on BMI.
    I'm 5'3" and when I asked my doctor (he didn't bring it up) he said given my body type he would be perfectly happy if I were 165. I have been overweight my whole life and have over 130lbs to lose so I will be at that weight. His point was just that I would greatly reduce my risk of health problems if I were at that weight. He's not so much hung up on a number he's just looking for me to be healthier. I respect my doctor very much. If I feel differently when I get to 165 then I will keep going.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    My Dr is just tickled that I am at a healthy weight, that I am off almost all of my medications and that my blood pressure/glucose/cholesterol etc are all in the low range! I am pleased that my Dr. is pleased!:smile:
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    I have never understood what ppl mean by - big frame- , - small frame- ...

Bones in all the ppl are the same, its the muscle/fat what makes you skinny or overweight/obese. Mom always said i had a ´big frame´, I found out how to discover if im really into the big frame side only to discover that im not, im a small one.

Ppl that say that honestly I think its because we have been fat all our life and they are just scared to see us skinny.. or way too afraid to see a big change in us.

Actually, there is a such thing as small, medium and large body frames, it's based on your wrist size. And we all have different bones sizes/more so structures, but more importantly, different muscle, fat and elasticity within our skin. This is my opinion.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and when I asked my doctor (he didn't bring it up) he said given my body type he would be perfectly happy if I were 165. I have been overweight my whole life and have over 130lbs to lose so I will be at that weight. His point was just that I would greatly reduce my risk of health problems if I were at that weight. He's not so much hung up on a number he's just looking for me to be healthier. I respect my doctor very much. If I feel differently when I get to 165 then I will keep going.

This is pretty much how I am with my doctor too. I brought it up as well. He told me just to focus on how I am losing weight. He reassured me that I am doing it the right way with lots of exercise and watching my intake. I think it is interesting that he told me a higher weight than I expected to hear. I think It is interesting that yours has an even higher number. I just think it shows that the body type matters way more than I thought.
    Thanks for the insight.