Asparagus help!

Options
I have never had it until tonight. I decided to steam it on the stove with some butter. It doesnt really have a taste. Are there other ways to make it flavorful or is it just an acquired taste?

Replies

• PottsvilleCurse1925
    Options
    You think the taste is unique! Wait until you pee! It'll smell unique as well.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    There is only one way to make asparagus. and steaming is not it! Fry them in a small amount of butter until al dente, and sprinkle some salt and pepper on them. The re my favorite veggie! I LOVE asparagus!!!
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I like to put it on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with olive oil and Mrs. Dash, or whatever herbs you might like...and bake for 12 minutes. Comes out "tender crisp" and delish.
    Oh, and btw...if you've never had it before then you don't know about asparagus pee. Just know when you go pee it's gonna reek! lol Don't be alarmed..it'll go away! lol
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It had no taste?? It is really good sauteed with soy sauce, butter and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I LOVE asparagus. here are my 3 most favorite recipes
    Steamed with lemon juice, butter and feta cheese
    Baked wrapped in bundles using turkey bacon to secure bundles
    and asparagus with blender hollandaise sauce
  • johnieC
    Options
    sauteed until tender with olive oil, salt, pepper , & garlic
  • MummyHungry
    MummyHungry Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like it raw. :smile:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Please eat some pineapple for dessert.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Roasted Asparagus Love!!! :) Put on cookie sheet with olive oil, salt and pepper, bake about 10-12 mins.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I sautee it with olive oil and minced garlic. When it is tender (but still crisp) I sprinkle some parmesan on it and serve =)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Toss in EVOO, sprinkle with garlic powder and salt.. Roast in oven.. OMG DELICIOUSNESS... Even taste good cold.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Please eat some pineapple for dessert.

DOES NOT WORK!!!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    You think the taste is unique! Wait until you pee! It'll smell unique as well.

Yup!

But for real.. this is the first time you'e had asparagus!?! I love to roast in the stove, with no water just a little garlic and olive oil. Yum!!

Also, you can chop one up and toss it in a salad, or leave the whole and wrap them in a tortilla with other veggies for a "veggie wrap"

My mom always liked to put them in an egg omlets.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    It's better with butter!
  • talentjar
    Options
    I agree some lemon and dash of salt does wonders, or some soy sauce...yum!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    The best best best way is to put it on a cookie sheet or glass dish and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and soy sauce. Gives it a meaty flavor. Om nom nom
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Cook it by steaming, grilling, saute or roast it with lemon zest, lemon juice, minced garlic, olive oil, a bit of butter, kosher salt, pepper. Add a few roasted pine nuts and it's delish. Oh and if you steam it, saute the asparagus with the above, don't add it while steaming.
    I also put that on broccoli, green beans and pasta.
    I also love it just plain with salt and pepper.
    Or... make a reduction of fresh orange juice and maple syrup. It's good on any veggie. :)
  • Changing_Charity
    Changing_Charity Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    get some fresh asparagus, dont get canned or frozen! wash and snap off the bottom of the spear. place on a cookie sheet and spray with some butter flavor cooking spray, add minced garlic and bake for about 15-20 minutes at 350 (i flip them about half way through) . sprinkle with a little salt if you would like,
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    On the grill, brush it with olive oil and add some garlic!
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    roasted with olive oil, salt and lemon pepper. Then drizzled with fresh squeezed lemon and fresh shredded parmesan