Tired after 3 minutes of exercising? WHAT GIVES

Options
124»

Replies

• BeautifulBrownBbyDoll
    Options
    I have not had a complete work out in months and last night I did Leslie Sansone 5 mile walk 82 bloody minutes and could not breathe. I thought I was starting something easy but I should have just taken it mile by mile instead of thinking i am She-Ra and jumping into it.. Take it slow next time I heard a lot of folks say do 3 minutes then stop then start again that is good advice.

LOL..She said She-RA! FLATLINED..................

Actually after I posted this, I've gotten better..i've went from 3 to 9 to 13 minutes now
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Okay here is my frustration! :explode: It's been a very, very, very long time since I exercised (about 3 months) So lately i've been trying to exercise...I get tired after 3 minutes of working out. I want to be able to make it through a 20 minute workout without feeling fatigue or having to quit so soon. I'm currently doing Turbo Jam...which is fun but I shouldn't be feeling this way. I'm trying to change my healthy lifestyle by exercising but dammit i'm almost to my breaking point. It's way too cold to be walking outside (hate cold weather) Any suggestions?

OM gosh girl, have not read all the replies but walking is a great exercise ...I lost my first 20 lbs just walking and swinging my arms and keeping in the MFP goals...you go girl x
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    There's very little healthy food that will give you energy on your diary. I'd say that's your main problem!
  • BeautifulBrownBbyDoll
    Options
    I just looked at your diary. It isn't surprising you run out of gas so fast. Lady, PLEASE start giving your body some better quality fuel. I'm not saying eat a vegetarian diet or never have a snack cake. You've got to start eating some vegetables and fruits. If you don't want full blown diabetes you've got to ditch sugared soda and start viewing Popeye's as a once in a while thing.

Show your body some love. Give it good nutritious food the majority of the time. Your body will thank you. :wink:

^^^^THIS!

Not to sound rude, but I am seeing a nutritionist. She understands that i'm not the veggie lover like most people are so what I am doing is juicing. I haven't juiced in 2 weeks because apparently I have a daughter who loves eating up all my fruits and veggies.

FYI: All the foods that I was eating before never seem to hinder my weight loss progress; I gained weight after having my 2nd c-section and tubal ligation and uterine fibroids.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You've probably lost some of your cardio/ aerobic base. If you haven't done it in three months you should expect to feel tired and fatigued more easily with less work. The best way to overcome this is to keep doing the exercise, whether in smaller increments or as a whole until you regain your strength/ aerobic capacity and can do a full 20 minutes. Then from there, you should keep increasing your exercise until you feel challenged again. This will help you become fitter.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My question is what is your calorie intake? Could it be too low? Do you get adequate sleep?

This was my question too. If you aren't eating enough or getting enough sleep, any workout is going to be nearly impossible to get through.
  • BeautifulBrownBbyDoll
    Options
    You've probably lost some of your cardio/ aerobic base. If you haven't done it in three months you should expect to feel tired and fatigued more easily with less work. The best way to overcome this is to keep doing the exercise, whether in smaller increments or as a whole until you regain your strength/ aerobic capacity and can do a full 20 minutes. Then from there, you should keep increasing your exercise until you feel challenged again. This will help you become fitter.

Thank you..I have challenged myself everyday since this post and I have increased from 3 mins to 9 mins to 13 mins. Now even after I worked out today, I'm not feeling as tired as I was before and i agree with some of the posts when they say to start slow and then work my way up. I have been alternating exercises (upper body, lower body, core) since..
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    What do you do when you hit that wall and are exhausted? If you quit right there, turn off the video and go sit down, then you are just creating a situation where quitting is a huge reward. That's probably one reason why walking is useful for many just getting into exercise: if you walk half a mile from home and "give up" then you still have to walk your butt home anyway. Just because you're exhausted doesn't mean you will never be able to move again for the rest of the day. It's not a good reason to quit.

If you decide to do X minutes of exercise, then just commit before hand to staying in front of the video for that long, regardless of how tired you get or whether or not you are still exercising. It takes more energy to turn it off and walk away then it does to stand there and breathe, anyway. You will feel rather silly just standing in front of the video watching them exercise and you'll want to join back in. If you can still move, keep moving. It doesn't matter if you can't keep up with them. You will recover long before the video is over, so you can either put your hands on your hips and breathe for a minute if you're that tired, or just stand there and dip a little and move your arms around some, or walk around in little circles or whatever, until you are able to do a little more. You will probably find you're able to do 3 minutes, then 6 minutes, then 10 minutes all within the same session. ;)
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    For what it's worth, I was hating walking up a flight of stairs at work in June 2012. I hated how bad my body was reacting to working out, but I made sure to do things l liked and to keep at it no matter what. One thing was doing Frisbee golf with my wife. It was fun and easy and kept me going at it and working harder. Today I biked 16 miles (because it started raining and couldn't complete the last 5 miles) after weight lifting and 75 minutes on the stair master earlier in the day. Later I'll walk/jog/run with my dogs, six months after hating walking up a flight of stairs.

You're already building up your time, just keep at it!
  • BeautifulBrownBbyDoll
    Options
    For what it's worth, I was hating walking up a flight of stairs at work in June 2012. I hated how bad my body was reacting to working out, but I made sure to do things l liked and to keep at it no matter what. One thing was doing Frisbee golf with my wife. It was fun and easy and kept me going at it and working harder. Today I biked 16 miles (because it started raining and couldn't complete the last 5 miles) after weight lifting and 75 minutes on the stair master earlier in the day. Later I'll walk/jog/run with my dogs, six months after hating walking up a flight of stairs.

You're already building up your time, just keep at it!

Frisbee golf..that seems like so much fun!