fighting through depression..

Options
2»

Replies

• RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Yes, it gets better.

I was diagnosed in my twenties with depression, anxiety and severe mood swings. Though some meds made an impact on what I was experiencing, it's only been the last couple of years that I've been on a combination that keeps me balanced, though I do still suffer from anxiety at times.

You're doing good things, so keep those up, but keep vigilant with your diet and your water in take. I found it did impact how I was feeling, though not so much the exercise (which frustrates me as it helps so many). But keep an open mind to other options. Clarify for yourself what is situational depression and what might be beyond outside influence.

Surround yourself as much as possible with things you love, colours, music, animals, people. Get out in the sun. Judge whether your emotions fluctuate when you eat different things. Try to be aware.

You're not alone. With ever minute, there is a chance for better things.
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety, panic and mood disorders and to be honest, mine got better when I went off the meds. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. It's the worst. :(
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies.. it is good to see I am not alone and that there is hope. :)
    Somebody sent me this....

256001560037862012_6nA93pYl_c.jpg

Things like this may seem corny to some - not to me.
    I see great value in focusing my energies on positive elements to life.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible to beat depression, I go through phases of feeling better, but something always brings me back down again, it's getting there though.
    It's great you're eating well and exercising, I think that can help. I find keeping myself and mind busy seems to help too.
  • Huzke
    Huzke Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I struggle with depression. I just try to keep focused on my career and fitness goals as well as my sons. I would also be lost without my friends. How reliable is your support system? I see you only have one friend that you see often, maybe you should make more or spend more time with the other friends you already have. Stay busy and stay focused. Always remember that you are in control and you choose the way you feel and the way you react. It takes a lot of practice but you can get the control back.
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It is possible...I was very depressed recently for 3 or so years and it is something I have struggled with my entire life. This last bout from 2009-2011 was awful and I kept trying things that would help. Prozac helped me manage my negative thoughts and helped me deal with everyday life. I remember thinking exactly like you are, is it possible to get better? Is it possible, I felt like I had tried everything? Yes, it is possible! Keep trying girl! It will happen, keep getting help and trying different things. I read a book that helped me understand my depression and also helped me choose a medication that I felt was appropriate, it's called "Women's Moods". I highly recommend that you get it and read it. Good luck! Please feel free to friend me if you want a friend that understands what you might be going through.
  • choochoobell
    choochoobell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    It can get better and it's well worth working on. I spent too many years of my younger life struggling with PTSD and depression. After a few bad experiences with totally ineffective therapies I just gave up for a couple of decades and figured it would never get better. But eventually it got worse... o.0

Sooo... when it got completely unbearable I decided to try again. I did some research and decided to try an experienced psychologist specializing in trauma therapy. She has made all the difference because she has the training and understanding needed to actually HELP me with multiple issues. She draws upon a wide base of techniques including EMDR, which has been very effective as PTSD treatment for me.

My MD has been super helpful, too. Wish I'd found both of these women earlier in my life. My MD is very oriented towards using diet and exercise to change health - and that can include how your brain works. She's pointed me towards a diet that's pretty high in Omega-3's, anti-inflammatories, and mood boosting nutrients that can be found in berries and natural unsweetened cocoa powder. Check out my breakfast in food diary for example of my current "prescription" for a good day. Note that I run 5 miles every morning, so I need a big breakfast. Otherwise that recipe would need to be cut in half!

Exercise is good for your mental health too. I take my dogs and go run. Their enthusiasm is contagious. When we're done we're all happy. Hard to find a better way to start the day.

And last but not least, my doctor taught me that there are some foods I need to avoid. It never would have occurred to me that wheat/gluten and dairy products were part of why I often felt so lousy. Both were triggering my migraines and digestive system problems, which in turn contributed to depression and anxiety. I had a hard time believing it, so kept going off them for awhile then would have some of one or the other or both - and paid for it every time. Eventually I figured out it wasn't worth it to me.

You may need to think outside the box to find out what works for you physically and psychologically. Keep trying. Science is learning more about how our brains work all the time. Some practitioners are more cutting edge than others, so don't ever take "we've tried everything and you're just not getting better" for an answer. My health has changed dramatically in the past 4 years with help from the right people and a renewed determination to keep trying. It is possible.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's definitely possible. It may be a never-ending fight for many of us, but it is winnable, and you seem to have a lot of the right tools already. One to work on perhaps (if possible) is further developing your offline social support system.

As I'm sure you know, BPD can be tricky to treat but there are suggestions that symptoms reduce naturally with age/time. With both BPD and PTSD, the right therapist and style of therapy can make a world of difference.

Also, I'm not suggesting that anything is this simple, but I imagine that things will only improve for you when you are able to change your less-than-optimal living situation.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. :(

If you've been fighting this since you were 12, I think you need to see a different psychologist/therapist. You shouldn't have to suffer!

I too suffered from depression/ptsd, took meds and eventually was able to exercise, just to clear my head and feel 'better'. I eliminated toxic people from my life and it made all the difference in the world. If you can do that, do it as soon as possible! I still take xanax once in a great while, so I'm not saying don't take meds, just that running/exercise helps my mood. I'm in control, I know I'm doing it for ME only and the endorphins from runner's high help a LOT.

Good luck, I'll say a prayer that you get lifted from your depression soon! <hugs>
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've been as far down as possible I reckon. I've worked very hard with counselling, trying lots of meds to get the right one and staying active. I'm feeling better than u EVER have and I'm ready to decrease my meds.

I took a long hard look around and what was dragging me down. You have to be very proactive in changing anything that needs to change in order for you to be happy. You have to fight... But yes totally and utterly possible! Promise!

Zara x