Looking for C25K Buddies

Options
Hello,

I just decided today that I wanted to set myself a challenge and get back into running sooner rather than later so decided to give the couch to 5k a go. I have literally just started today and did the first workout this morning. Thought it might be more fun with a bit of motivation from others who are planning to start or just starting out so we can cheer each other along.

I have about 23 lbs to lose and at the moment my fitness is absolutely terrible at the moment but I could run for 30 mins not too long ago so I don't see why I can't do it again. I'm based in the UK so if anyone is just starting the C25K and wants some company too then add me :)

Replies

• thenicoleboes
    thenicoleboes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am just getting ready to start the C25K program also :) I did 3 5K's last year, but only walking....I really want to be able to do a full 5K running this year. I'm looking at Mar & April for my 1st ones of the year. I have over 100lbs to lose, but one step at a time....I'll get there. I was glad to see your post & always love more C25K friends!
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am just getting ready to start the C25K program also :) I did 3 5K's last year, but only walking....I really want to be able to do a full 5K running this year. I'm looking at Mar & April for my 1st ones of the year. I have over 100lbs to lose, but one step at a time....I'll get there. I was glad to see your post & always love more C25K friends!

I have never done a 5k event before even tho in the past I used to run 5k all the time for fun. A friend of mine recently was diagnosed with breast cancer and said she would like friends to enter a 5k event and raise money so maybe I will be able to run 5k again by that time :)
  • swanarae
    Options
    I have never run before but have recently decided I wanted to give it a try so I downloaded the podrunner intervals 1st Day to 5K series and am currently on week 5! Looking forward to finishing it.
  • thenicoleboes
    thenicoleboes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What great additional motivation to do your 5K......good luck to you & your friend on both your journeys!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Hey, feel free to add me. I decided to try my first 5k this summer, and I HATE running. I tried C25K once before but didn't make it past week 4. Or 3. Whichever one has you running five minutes at a time. I plan on restarting with the new year.
  • kducotey
    kducotey Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just started doing C25K about a week ago. Like some others I'm hoping to run a 5K. It's called the Color Run (www.thecolorrun.com). It'll be my first 5K and I thought it sounded like a fun one to hopefully get a good start in them. I know I really want to be able to run a lot and started this program to do so. One of my goals is to be able to run a half marathon by the end of 2013. Feel free to add me for some motivation!
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I just started today also. Send you a friend request!
  • Jay214
    Jay214 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did my first W1D1 the other day, but then it snowed and I'm not running in no dang snow! I'm gonna restart with W1D1 tomorrow and follow along with you guys!
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have added you. If anyone else wants to add me feel free. I started today as well. I have been walking between 4 and 5 k's a day for the last month but have been thinking I should try and start running for a while. Calories appear to burn more calories and also the time factor is something to consider as well. I am on holiday at the moment so have the luxury I time that I won't have in another month or so.

So I started the C25K today and it was actually ok. I kind of enjoyed it and I have never ever been a runner so fingers crossed I can do it. What app are you using? I am using RunDouble. I noticed that it says to run 3 times a week. Do you think it matters if you do it everyday?
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    Options
    Hi. I have added you. If anyone else wants to add me feel free. I started today as well. I have been walking between 4 and 5 k's a day for the last month but have been thinking I should try and start running for a while. Calories appear to burn more calories and also the time factor is something to consider as well. I am on holiday at the moment so have the luxury I time that I won't have in another month or so.

So I started the C25K today and it was actually ok. I kind of enjoyed it and I have never ever been a runner so fingers crossed I can do it. What app are you using? I am using RunDouble. I noticed that it says to run 3 times a week. Do you think it matters if you do it everyday?

I went on the NHS choices website and there was a podcast there. I had a listen before heading out and I didn't like the music so I just Googled "Couch to 5k" and found a website that set each week out in black and white and pretty much had same info as NHS Choices site but in written form rather than a Podcast which suited me better. Now I can listen to my iPod and get some music on that motivates me. I did it at gym so just used the timer on the treadmill but if/when I eventually do run outside again I use a HRM so will use the timer on that.
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    Options
    Oh, and thanks for all the replies :) I've added everyone so it will be nice to do it together. I am pretty achy after day 1 but in a good way. Thighs, calves, glutes and abdominals all feel like they've worked but not enough to stop me from going to the gym this morning and doing a Body Pump class
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Just did W1D1, I am really unfit, didn't quite manage to jog all of the jogging parts but got most of it and figure it wasn't that awful seeing as the last time I jogged was in PE class when I was 15 (29 now!). I have 61 lb more to lose to hit my goal and I'm really hoping jogging will help me shift some of that and tone up.
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    Options
    Just did W1D1, I am really unfit, didn't quite manage to jog all of the jogging parts but got most of it and figure it wasn't that awful seeing as the last time I jogged was in PE class when I was 15 (29 now!). I have 61 lb more to lose to hit my goal and I'm really hoping jogging will help me shift some of that and tone up.

Good on you for doing i even if you missed some of the jogging. At the end of the day we all have to start somewhere don't we?? I'm hoping the same re: weightloss and toning. Running is such a good stress buster too :)
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Well I did this again today. I don't see the harm in doing it more often than 3 times a week. Hopefully it just means I get skinnier quicker and can do the 5k quicker. This time I managed to drag a friend along and she seemed quite chuffed with herself as well.
  • Jay214
    Jay214 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/team_messageboard_thread.asp?board=0x788x27553109

Hey ya'll, at the bottom of this thread there's an excel spreadsheet you can download that calculates your burned calories. Just put your weight in cell A3, other than that you don't need to modify it too much.
  • fitnfreeme
    fitnfreeme Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I did this program a year ago, but feel into extreme inactivity since then. I'll be starting again in this new year. I'd love to share the experience with others.
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    Options
    I just did day 2 of week 1 and it was much easier. My HR wasn't as high and I was able to run faster. Good to see I'm making some progress already. I'm sticking to doing it 3 x a week and having a light gym day or light weights on days in between depending on how I feel. Don't want to overdo it and burn out. Yesterday I was wondering if I'd be able to do it today as my legs are still achey from day 1 but I think just walking for half hour and doing light cardio exercises yesterday really helped.

Jay thanks for that link, I wear a HRM but be handy to have that as well as sometimes I forget my HRM.

Happy New Year people and if anyone else is just starting their C25K feel free to add me and join in!
  • Lady_Lamb
    Lady_Lamb Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I completed Week 5 Day 1 yesterday. Anyone can feel free to add me!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the C25K to 10K bridge and would love to get inspiration from others and to also help those just starting out. I had a LOT of setbacks doing C25K, I'm 51 and I did it! I started in May and didn't finish until Nov, due to a broken foot. So, I honestly feel that if I could get through those obstacles, I may be able to help some of you. I am far from being an expert, but I may be able to help.

The biggest thing for me was to run as slow as possible and whenever I had a problem, figure out how to solve it and move on!

I'd love to join your group if you're starting one.
  • shandi_b
    shandi_b Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Personally I've always hated running, even when I was a thin fit teenager (played netball and cycled), I could never run more than 1-2 km at a time. However I'm seriously considering doing C25k just to prove to myself I can do it as well as getting fit in process. Feel free to add me.