Why do people do this ?

13»

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    I seriously doubt that people actually intend to sabotage the eating habits of other people, although it can seem that way. Sure, it can happen, but someone actually setting out to sabotage another person's healthy eating habits?

I have a coworker who helped me figure out what is really going on. I literally had to change jobs to get away from her, but she taught me some valuable lessons about personal boundaries and control. Last Christmas, she shoved a plate of cookies under my nose and said "I MADE COOKIES! HAVE ONE!". I thanked her politely and said no thank you. She actually got butthurt and I think maybe even threatened to start crying if I did not eat one of her cookies. I just looked at her. I don't like to discuss it, but I did say to her that I am working on my weight and that means having absolute control over what goes into my mouth, but thanks.

"ONE COOKIE isn't going to hurt! Please try one"!?

I just looked at her again. And blinked.

She backed off, lower lip stuck out, pouting. She tried it several more times but eventually quit offering. She loves to control people, and that is not uncommon. People use food as a means for control sometimes.
    They also use food to show their love for people. I know I do that. I think that is a cultural thing. But I draw the line at trying to force people to eat something they do not want to eat.
  • ferb03
    ferb03 Posts: 82
    ]
    "

Amen. And it goes beyond food! Misery loves company and when someone ISN'T eating/drinking/choosing right, they want to make sure they aren't alone.

I can't help but get a little sarcastic when people don't respect my answer, "Do you not understand what I'm saying? Do you not know that water is a beverage? Do you not understand that I have eaten and don't want anything else? Let's talk about your sudden loss of the meaning of basic English words rather than my lack of appetite or desire to down a sugary beverage!"
    [/quote]

No" is a complete sentence. Do not give any reason that they can try to tear down, wear down, or attack. And it's not rude either.

[/quote]Some people are just food bullies and nothing you say will sink in unless you get in their face and bully them right back. Sorry but that is just the sad truth.
  • Alisa792
    Alisa792 Posts: 3 Member
    Do like everyone who's responded to you here says. Stand your ground. I'm lucky to have some pretty good support from my family because most of them are watching what they eat too. Some of them are diabetic so we don't have many sugary foods except around holidays.
    Misery does love company as someone said here. The people who are the closest to you and know the most about you are most likely to try to interrupt your goals. They criticize you and when you change whatever they're criticizing they want to stop you. Because they become attached to old behaviors--yours and theirs. When you change that dynamic, the implication is they have to change too. People don't like change--even when it's for their own good. So stand your ground, and keep up the great work.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    My husband does it constantly. He thinks he can cook. But he's the king of the deep fryer and boxed meals.... when he does try to "experiment" it is gross. He won't leave me alone until I've had a bite and tell him how awesome it is - even when I'm gagging! He's just starting to get better at understanding that I don't want to even taste it!

I try to meal plan for the week and grocery shop based on it. I prep as much as I can on Sunday so I can make easy, healthy meals throughout the week no matter what dietary heart attack he is in the mood for.