Any vegetarians who added fish back in?

13»

Replies

• cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Ok well I didn't come in here telling people not to eat fish or egs. Everyone can do whatever they want with their body. Matter of fact I told her what the least unhealthy fish and eggs options are. Anyways if you(Victoria) would like to learn more about the vegan health benefits I recommend you watch a documentary on netflix called "FORKS OVER KNIVES" I think you can also watch it for free on their website. It's very interesting and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Documentaries should not be taken as truth as they are often biased opinion pieces.

Also, I would like to point out that much of the information you've provided is outdated at best and scaremongering at worst. If you would like to continue posting such things, could you please provide peer reviewed scientific evidence on behalf of your stand points?

So you expect me to go and dig through my books and check medical journals along with proven facts from different universities for you to believe me? Lol no I don't think so mam.

This guy is new to MFP and I'm seeing him all of a sudden all over the boards picking fights and pushing veganism like it's the *only* way with some floppy arguments and an obsession with documentaries. Sounds a bit self righteous in all of his posts...he's one of the folks who gives veggies a bad name with his attitude.

Just my opinion. He managed to flip the thread around from helping the OP to debating and then stomping away upset... :(
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Ok well I didn't come in here telling people not to eat fish or egs. Everyone can do whatever they want with their body. Matter of fact I told her what the least unhealthy fish and eggs options are. Anyways if you(Victoria) would like to learn more about the vegan health benefits I recommend you watch a documentary on netflix called "FORKS OVER KNIVES" I think you can also watch it for free on their website. It's very interesting and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Documentaries should not be taken as truth as they are often biased opinion pieces.

Also, I would like to point out that much of the information you've provided is outdated at best and scaremongering at worst. If you would like to continue posting such things, could you please provide peer reviewed scientific evidence on behalf of your stand points?

So you expect me to go and dig through my books and check medical journals along with proven facts from different universities for you to believe me? Lol no I don't think so mam.

This guy is new to MFP and I'm seeing him all of a sudden all over the boards picking fights and pushing veganism like it's the *only* way with some floppy arguments and an obsession with documentaries. Sounds a bit self righteous in all of his posts...he's one of the folks who gives veggies a bad name with his attitude.

Just my opinion. He managed to flip the thread around from helping the OP to debating and then stomping away upset... :(

Yes I'm new here and I'm obsessed with books and documentaries. No I'm not mad at anyobe I just don't have much time to continue debating or respond to everyone that disagrees with me. Most of the time it's people that I wasn't even talking to they just get offended because my views and my knowledge differ from theirs and the status quo.
  • abrahamsitososa

Yes I'm new here and I'm obsessed with books and documentaries. No I'm not mad at anyobe I just don't have much time to continue debating or respond to everyone that disagrees with me. Most of the time it's people that I wasn't even talking to in the first place that just get offended because my views and my knowledge differ from theirs and the status quo.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member

Yes I'm new here and I'm obsessed with books and documentaries. No I'm not mad at anyobe I just don't have much time to continue debating or respond to everyone that disagrees with me. Most of the time it's people that I wasn't even talking to in the first place that just get offended because my views and my knowledge differ from theirs and the status quo.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    But you do continue to debate and respond to everything lol
  • cfregon
    But you do continue to debate and respond to everything lol

...and in just about every single thread I've visited. It's just his thing I suppose....it's the same thing every time. I mean this in the friendliest way abraham, you said you're looking for healthy debates, but to have a healthy debate, you can't go around picking fights, demeaning other peoples' dietary choices, or arguing like a child. Healthy debates between consenting adults are not what I see you promoting in all of your posts. This is supposed to be a friendly environment, full or *suggestions* not orders. We're not doctors. If you know it all, why are you here? What works for you, will not work for everyone else. Remember this, and play nice.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Did you forget what this thread is about? Its about a vegetarian wanting to try eating fish. In that case the vegetarian would no longer be a vegetarian she would be a pescatarian. If you guys are so badly against the vegetarian lifestyle then why do you bother to even read and try to argue on topics like these? I haven't seen a single vegan or vegetarian topic without people hating the idea and voicing their negativity. You won't see me going into an omnivorous topic trying to push an agenda on anyone. Everyone has the right to eat what they want and do whatever they want with their bodies. If it's a crime to tell the OP that fish contains mercury then so be it.
  • cfregon
    For the record: I'm a Vegetarian. Just sayin'.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Did you forget what this thread is about? Its about a vegetarian wanting to try eating fish. In that case the vegetarian would no longer be a vegetarian she would be a pescatarian. If you guys are so badly against the vegetarian lifestyle then why do you bother to even read and try to argue on topics like these? I haven't seen a single vegan or vegetarian topic without people hating the idea and voicing their negativity. You won't see me going into an omnivorous topic trying to push an agenda on anyone. Everyone has the right to eat what they want and do whatever they want with their bodies. If it's a crime to tell the OP that fish contains mercury then so be it.

A lot of things contain mercury, not just fish. You should educate us on all things mercury, just in case.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I've eaten fish for most of my life..heavily. I've never had any issues with mercury poisoning. there are cultures whose diet consists heavily on fish.

You'll be okay.
  • PikaKnight

Everything or too much of anything can be bad for you. Just saying. Too much cabbage can be bad for you. It's about moderation and paying attention to what you eat.

And also, i think you need to chill a bit. No body is downing on the vegetarian lifestyle.
  • abrahamsitososa

A lot of things contain mercury, not just fish. You should educate us on all things mercury, just in case.

You're off topic. OP's question isn't about thermometers or blood pressure measuring devices or a lot of other things. It's about fish.
  • PikaKnight
    Hello all, I have been a vegetarian for six years and LOVE it. It has pretty much removed fast food from my diet, with the exception of the occasional taco bell run lol.

I never want to eat a burger again, or bacon, or hot dogs or steak. I am content with substitutes and absolutely prefer some to the real thing, such as eggplant parmesan over chicken and grilled portabella mushrooms over steak.

However, my hair has thinned and I am often anemic. I fall short of my protein goal more than I would like. Since seafood grosses me out the least, I am thinking about adding it back in. My questions for those who have done this/know someone who did are:

1. Did you have any sickness from it/how slowly do you think I should go?
    2. Were there enough benefits to be worth it? Any change at all?
    3. Which sea critters are the most beneficial? I know I really liked scallops and salmon way back when but I hear salmon is a high-fat fish?
    4. Anything else you think would help, thanks!

You need to really keep track of your protein. People that go into the vegetarian lifestyle without realizing that they need to find alternate sources of protein and certain amino acids start to show side effects of this - one being the thinning/falling out of hair.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member

You're off topic. OP's question isn't about thermometers or blood pressure measuring devices or a lot of other things. It's about fish.

^This is almost as much fun as tapping on the glass at a aquarium.
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    I am not clear on what type of vegetarian you are. I practiced for many years (9) vegetarian. While fish was allowed on road trips/ conferences. I did include dairy and some eggs. I have a compromised immune system and used Vegetarian food to help bolster my immune system. I used Laurels Kitchen, and Moosewood cook books. I was also remember adding a multi-vitamin to include b 12 and vitamin d which a large number of people in North america are short on. I also educated my self on balancing my diet and protein. Through Beans lentils seeds and whole grains. So yes I had fish on the add occasion but it was not part of my whole diet. In doctor visits they would monitor all things and meeting with a dietitian to look at food diaries.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Fish is good. Whey Protein gets the job done, makes a nice shake.
    Red lentils are 30%protein
  • cfregon
    ]

^This is almost as much fun as tapping on the glass at a aquarium.

:flowerforyou: