Must Have Food in Fridge/Pantry? help please

This is my first day officially trying to lose weight. I already cleaned out my pantry and got rid of all things bad, cookies, chips, soda and things like that. Now im trying to reorganize so the healthier things are the first things i see. Well to no ones surprise i don't have many healthy items. I'm trying to compose a food shopping list and i have no idea where to begin! i have the basics like spinach, fruit, chicken but other than that im at a complete stop. What are some items you guys keep stocked in your fridge or pantry? Also, i would like to know what kind of seasonings you guys use for fish, chicken ect? Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• Eggs and hummus.
    As in, there are four dozen eggs in the fridge right now for a household of two. And I have a tendency to put hummus on anything savoury, so there's always a tub of homemade hummus in there too. If you make your own, it becomes magical.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    I like lemon pepper on chicken. As for what to buy, I can't help as I don't know what kind of diet you're on. Generally I'd say get some whole grains, but grains are a problem for some people. I could also say reduced fat dairy products, but some feel that all dairy products should be full fat. It just depends on what you like and want in your diet.
  • quaker old fashioned oats or steel cut oats

all veggies

any type of beans

lentils and legumes

fruits

fish

tofu

turkey
  • cindywomack1
    cindywomack1 Posts: 33 Member
    Things I always have on hand:

Water, water, water...water
    Steel cut oats (I eat a bowl of quick cook steel cut oats with cinnamon, honey, and blueberries every morning)
    Ole Wellness Extreme Wraps - high fiber, good protein about 75 calories
    Avocado - use this instead of mayo on sandwiches and wraps
    Granny Smith Apples
    Spinach
    Shakeology
    Jif Natural Creamy Peanut butter
    Unsalted almonds
    Greek Yogurt
    Honey
    Cinnamon
    Blueberries
    Bananas
    Green Tea
  • Olive oil
    Lemon juice
    Chick peas
    Lentils
    Mustard
    Salmon
    Cans of tuna in spring water
    Rice, rice and more rice
    Fish & beef stock
    Low sodium salt
    Stem ginger
    Acacia honey

Use mustard and ground ginger on white fish... Amazing makes them zing
    Marinate the chicken in tomato purée and onion powder ...makes BBQ flavour but don't use ketchup
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Non-fat Greek yogurt, low fat cheese, chicken, eggs, non-fat milk, green tea, peppermint tea.
  • Oikos Greek Yogurt (love the raspberry)

Natural Jif peanut butter

raw almonds

string cheese

True Lemon raspberry lemonade

cranberry pomegranate green tea

berries

dark chocolate
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Reduced fat triscuits, eggs, %2 or skim milk, rice (brown or jasmine, depending on what you like to make), fresh celery and carrots for snacking, bananas, apples and oranges (use fruit in moderation, though), frozen mixed vegetables for strifry and soup, onions (frozen as well as fresh), cereal (grown-up cereal. Cinnamon Toast Crunch is not going to sustain you until lunch. I like frosted miniwheats, shredded wheat and corn flakes), olive oil. And the usual odds and ends like a can of condensed soup for casseroles, a few red potatoes (cut fine and then stirfried), soy sauce, things like that.
  • danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    my food necessities:

yogurt
    cottage cheese
    frozen veggies (especially broccoli, cauliflower, beans, spinach <- if I buy the quantity of veg I need to avoid the grocery store for a couple of weeks it spoils on me before I can use it all)
    pork/beef tenderloin
    beef/pork roasts (great for the crockpot!)
    frozen berries (see frozen veggie comment)
    nuts (especially pistachios- my fave)
    chicken
    eggs

*nothing fat-free ever enters my fridge/pantry. Your body needs fat- your cells including your brain are all made up of fat. Those who go fat-free often become depressed and/or find their hair thinning/falling out along other things.*
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Must haves for me
    Peanut butter
    Hot sauce
    Almonds
    Sweet potatoes
    Chicken
    Eggs
    Steak
    Potatoes
    Vegetables
    Bananas
    Wheat bread or wraps
    Oats
    Protein Powder
    Greek yogurt
    Milk
    Redbull
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Non fat yogurt is a must.

I find that chugging a carbonated beverage like seltzer or soda really squashes temptation.

Also caffeine like espresso helps too.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    you threw away cookies????
  • chicken, fish, lean pork chops, petite steaks, liquid egg whites, low-fat cheese for cheese omelets, :blushing: tuna, Special K cereal and unsweetened almond milk, small baking potatoes, salad stuff to the rafters LOL, fresh fruit and lots of frozen fruits, Fage non-fat yogurt for smoothies, lentils, and beans, broths, and frozen vegetables for healthy soups and stews.

I make sure I make enough of my favorite entrees to freeze a portion or two for another meal later in the month. I also have favorite daily "menus" (foods I've eaten through a whole day) and I repeat the exact menu every week or so, especially if that days foods felt particularly satisfying. Makes it easy to control the calorie intake while feeling fed! :blushing:
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    My essentials:

plain greek yogurt
    vanilla protein powder
    frozen veggies (unsauced/unseasoned)
    frozen fruits (berries mostly)
    canned pumpkin
    no salt diced tomatoes (canned)
    canned beans - reduced sodium (kidney, white kidney, black beans, chickpeas)
    sweet potatoes
    unsweetened coconut milk
    eggs
    nuts (almonds, cashews, pistachios)
    coconut oil
    chicken breast
    fish (salmon, tilapia, canned tuna)
    fresh veggies (squash, romaine, spinach, cucumbers, celery, carrots, etc)
    almond flour/coconut flour (for baking & pancakes)
    stevia
    agave nectar
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    oatmeal
    whole wheat breads & wraps
    frozen veggies
    fresh berries - when on sale I buy them and freeze them whole
    beans - dried & canned (reduced sodium)
    sweet potatoes
    brown rice
    some nuts (not too many, I am tempted)
    eggs
    carbmaster yogurt
    splenda

fish - salmon & tilapia
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    frozen veggies like Steamfresh, those without the sauces/cheeses
    soy milk
    oats
    avocado (great with turkey or chicken on a wrap)
    Flat Outs (fold-it or wraps)
    Healthy Choice frozen greek yogurt

If you like spicy, try Weber Kick'n Chicken! YUM!!!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    you threw away cookies????

and chips and soda???

I want some oreos now.
  • Sloth_TurtleGirl
    Sloth_TurtleGirl Posts: 79 Member
    eggs

Seriously, before my two week break I was eating eggs for breakfast every morning and losing weight. My typical breakfast is scrambled two eggs with a couple of pieces of turkey bacon and some tuscan cheese and mushrooms thrown in. I used to skip breakfast. But, eating breakfast really changed the way I feel during the day. However, cereal is bad for me. I just can't eat it and feel good the rest of the day. Eggs do the trick. Sometimes, instead of turkey sausage, I'll get one of those artisan chicken sausages from Sam's and chop it up in the egg instead. I get the one with cheese in it, so I don't have to add cheese. It is yummy.

That said. I officially begin the rest of my diet on the first day of the year.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    This is my first day officially trying to lose weight. I already cleaned out my pantry and got rid of all things bad, cookies, chips, soda and things like that. Now im trying to reorganize so the healthier things are the first things i see. Well to no ones surprise i don't have many healthy items. I'm trying to compose a food shopping list and i have no idea where to begin! i have the basics like spinach, fruit, chicken but other than that im at a complete stop. What are some items you guys keep stocked in your fridge or pantry? Also, i would like to know what kind of seasonings you guys use for fish, chicken ect? Thanks! :smile:

The best advise I ever got was to shop on the outer ring of the store, everything in the middle is processed. I'm not a food freak but I do try to follow that rule as best I can for my families needs.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Oatmeal. [protein.]
    Chicken [ protein.]
    Water [to live.]
    peanut butter [protein/calorie filler.]
    Nutella [because its damn good/calorie filler]
    Granolla bars. [protein.]
    milk. [because its good for you.]
    AppleSauce [because its good for you/yummy]
    Special K Cracker chips [calorie filler.]
    popcorn[for movies.]