Dear New Years Fitness Wannabees

Options
124»

Replies

• suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Great points and great post. The time I spend at the gym is my favorite time all week because it is the only time in my life that is 100% under my control. I decide how much, and how long, and how far I'm willing to push. Find yourself a good pair of headphones and music /books that will help keep your mind focused... and ENJOY. Getting strong can be fun if you let it.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I am going to print this out and discreetly post it in the gym. I will sign it anonymous. That is unless you want the glory. Which you deserve!
  • b14a3w3
    b14a3w3 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey Scott...we started on the same day and we are still here. Yea us! I love your posts and am glad we are friends. Happy, healthy New Year to you and the Missus.
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am going to print this out and discreetly post it in the gym. I will sign it anonymous. That is unless you want the glory. Which you deserve!

I don't write for the glory. I do it to put smiles on the faces of the people who are helping me to do that which I thought myself unable to do. Also, to plant the seeds of ideas so that they germinate into full blown consideration shown to one and all.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    CRAP...is it already going to be packed tommorrow??? I wanna get my back and biceps in, and be out, without a long wait.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Not sure if MFP forums would be the best place for this, people who use this tool and post on this forum (this one in particular) tend to already exercise. Great post nonetheless it'd be better if more people would read this.

Lots of new people on MFP right now. Tons of them are reading the forums because they need advice as they start. But I agree that more people reading it is good
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This is a good post, although it assumes everyone who can afford a gym membership, which is cheaper than a crappy cellphone plan in my area, has or can also afford visits to the doctor when they aren't sick, personal trainer, etc.

I grew up VERY poor in a federally funded housing project. I am VERY empathetic toward folks' economic struggles. That said, everyone has SOME service or labor or talent or product that they can barter for an hour of a trainer's time. And as for the doctor, which is more expensive... the tests that COULD be done via medicaid or reduced charges for cash payment, or a massive coronary or stroke that kills or debilitates you and keeps you from being productive for weeks or months? Obviously, these things cost something. But the potential cost of NOT incurring these expenses could be VASTLY greater.

So is buying shoes that wear out every 3 months or buying ramen noodles because they are cheap and eating so many of them to feel full that you become fat or buying a POS car that eats money and gasoline on a regular basis or having a checking account with fees because it's the only one available at your income level or a thousand other things poor people do on a regular basis.

I can't save money. I've tried, I made an honest effort and even succeeded somewhat this year- I have $200 out of the $700 I put away from my tax refund and during a few times when I was working two to three jobs to work full time. (If you are wondering, I have a neighbor who lets me use his wifi and a very old computer.) Something always comes up like an unexpected fee, something breaking that I must fix or replace right away, a month of unemployment where I don't get the check for two.

Poor people buy things that have a lower price point but cost them more in the long run because they do not have the money to buy the higher price point item on hand. This is a fact of being poor that is undeniable- it costs more. A single doctor's visit in my area costs about what I make in a very good month, and a single month's gym membership costs what I make in about 2 hours. If I put the two hour's money away every month, something WILL come up and it won't be there when I need it anyway.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This is a good post, although it assumes everyone who can afford a gym membership, which is cheaper than a crappy cellphone plan in my area, has or can also afford visits to the doctor when they aren't sick, personal trainer, etc.

I grew up VERY poor in a federally funded housing project. I am VERY empathetic toward folks' economic struggles. That said, everyone has SOME service or labor or talent or product that they can barter for an hour of a trainer's time. And as for the doctor, which is more expensive... the tests that COULD be done via medicaid or reduced charges for cash payment, or a massive coronary or stroke that kills or debilitates you and keeps you from being productive for weeks or months? Obviously, these things cost something. But the potential cost of NOT incurring these expenses could be VASTLY greater.

So is buying shoes that wear out every 3 months or buying ramen noodles because they are cheap and eating so many of them to feel full that you become fat or buying a POS car that eats money and gasoline on a regular basis or having a checking account with fees because it's the only one available at your income level or a thousand other things poor people do on a regular basis.

I can't save money. I've tried, I made an honest effort and even succeeded somewhat this year- I have $200 out of the $700 I put away from my tax refund and during a few times when I was working two to three jobs to work full time. (If you are wondering, I have a neighbor who lets me use his wifi and a very old computer.) Something always comes up like an unexpected fee, something breaking that I must fix or replace right away, a month of unemployment where I don't get the check for two.

Poor people buy things that have a lower price point but cost them more in the long run because they do not have the money to buy the higher price point item on hand. This is a fact of being poor that is undeniable- it costs more. A single doctor's visit in my area costs about what I make in a very good month, and a single month's gym membership costs what I make in about 2 hours. If I put the two hour's money away every month, something WILL come up and it won't be there when I need it anyway.

This post was specifically written to those people signing up at gyms for the new year. If you can't afford to do so, there are plenty of options that won't cost you a gym membership- the world is your gym. Get out and walk or run outside. I know, its cold, but mostly that's just an excuse. I have a gym membership and I go to the gym on average 2x a week, and the rest of my workouts are done outside, despite living in the mountains in the northeast. The first few workouts are hard to get through and miserable, but you will acclimate to the cold and its not that bad...refreshing, even! The next potential obstacle is that often low-income neighborhoods are dangerous- in that case I would recommend getting a jump rope. It will cost you less than $10 and is as good as any cardio machine at the gym...and you can do the workouts any time, any where, in short several minute bursts, and at whatever intensity suits you, from medium intensity all the way to HIIT. Probably you work so often that you're exhausted and dont want to do it, and that's really up to you. With something like a jumprope you can get 3-5minute workouts in that will eventually help you have more energy and get through work with relative ease. Fitness makes life easier. As for strength training, you can get a pretty bada$$ bodyweight workout at a local playground, or if you dont have access/desire for that, there is a book called "You are your own gym" that is a fully developed strength training program that you can do at home with no equipment. If you're serious about overcoming hurdles and getting fit despite your situation, PM me your email address and I will email you a PDF of this book so you dont even have to buy it. You really can do this, you just need to figure out solutions that work with the situation you are dealing with. Everyone has limitations of some sort.
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    This post is full of awesome!

Especially this:

Fourth, ignore Nike. Don't "just do it." If you "do it" incorrectly, you can seriously and permanently injure yourself. LEARN the proper techniques for utilizing weight training and cardio machines.

Cheers to a happy and healthy 2013 people!
  • KazSmith68
    Options
    Your post is absolutely awesome :smile:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    AMEN

I <3 this post
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Poor people still know how to make healthy priorities.

You dont need a gym to workout.
    Ramen is not the only cheap healthy option.
    (heck, you could buy boxes of pasta, a bag of tomatoes, onions and garlic and make a homemade pot of sauce that could last a week- all for $5)
    Not every kind of physical activity requires expensive running shoes or equipment that needs replacing.
    You can do pilates on your livingroom floor barefoot and naked and get an amazing burn.

If you decide NOW that you are defeated, then you never had the courage or desire to begin with.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Poor people still know how to make healthy priorities.

You dont need a gym to workout.
    Ramen is not the only cheap healthy option.
    (heck, you could buy boxes of pasta, a bag of tomatoes, onions and garlic and make a homemade pot of sauce that could last a week- all for $5)
    Not every kind of physical activity requires expensive running shoes or equipment that needs replacing.
    You can do pilates on your livingroom floor barefoot and naked and get an amazing burn.

If you decide NOW that you are defeated, then you never had the courage or desire to begin with.

I'm sorry but I don't think I made this clear. I do have a gym membership because it is cheaper than seeing a doctor or even what I pay in a month for my cell phone bill because I got a deal from my job if I agreed to join for 2 years.

I was giving examples of things poor people do in the long run that end up costing more money because they don't have the startup costs to do the cheaper thing. I don't do all the things on my list, the only one I'm really guilty of is buying cheap shoes that wear out all the time and not being able to save money.

If you read the entire conversation quoted, I was saying that you may have money to join a gym but not see a doctor or a trainer. This doesn't mean you can't work out if you take it slow and listen to how your body feels afterwards, at a gym or otherwise. People were "working out" before trainers or doctors existed. I was basically arguing with the person who said seeing a doc should be a higher priority than paying for a gym membership. Of course it should, but the reason poor people often seem crazy to rich people is that sometimes certain things are more possible than others, even if the less possible things should be more important and I gave some other examples of that behavior.

Thanks for trying to help me find solutions to my problems, but I've already worked those specific things out.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    all I hear is Charlie's Brown's teacher griping about reasons why it cant work for them.

MONEY IS NEVER AN OBSTACLE TO FITNESS.

/thread
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    all I hear is Charlie's Brown's teacher griping about reasons why it cant work for them.

MONEY IS NEVER AN OBSTACLE TO FITNESS.

/thread
    QFT