why am i so hungry??

Options

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    :happy: finally some smart....er people has arrived. MsDover your so spot on.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Now a question for the OP..... have you stopped having periods? Is your hair falling out? Are you 10% body fat OR LESS? If you answered no to all of these you're going to be just fine. Now go eat and make all these nice folks happy.

I think that the OP needs to consult with a physician or/and a nutritionist. She may not be losing hair right now, having issues with her period or at 10% bf, but I, for one, don't want it to even get close to that before we recognize it as a potential problem. If you want to do a 1000 calorie or less diet, talk to your doctor and see if they'll agree to supervise it...if they'll even okay it that is.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Your biggest meal should be after your workout. Your body needs to be replenished of nutrients. And your metabolism is at a plateau so you need to jump start it by carb cycling. Don't be afraid to eat a little over your "maintenance" caloric intake once or twice a week. As long as you're eating clean not McDonald's.

That is not actually true. First of all, digesting food takes hours (the exact amount of time varies on what you've eaten, and your body can slow the process down). Secondly, your body stores nutrients for use. That is why, for example, it is possible to OD on fat-soluble vitamins. Thirdly, metabolism doesn't plateau; weight loss plateaus due to a slowed metabolism. The fact that she's hungry means that her metabolism hasn't slowed down yet. Fourthly, eating "clean" is a relatively meaningless term, similar to "organic" and "non-GMO."

You are, however, correct that it doesn't hurt to eat a little over maintenance once in a while. The important thing is the average over the short term.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Your hunger is telling you that your body needs more fuel. You might need to eat more day-to-day or eat your exercise calories. You might need to eat more protein or healthier whole foods. You might need more water.

A healthy body is a combination of a lot of factors. You haven't found that balance yet, but make some small changes to your existing routine until you aren't feeling hungry. And don't be afraid of calories, they keep us alive :)

Good luck :)
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I am not an expert so I have no idea what the "right" amount of calories is. But what I don;t get is people who starve themselves and feel hungry when they don't have to. I lost 13 kilos in about 4.5 months eating between 1700-2000 a day and I am considerably older than the OP.....
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Eat more. At least 1200 calories is recommended. Also, eat back a good portion of your exercise calories as well.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am really hungry especially in the evenings. I do think you should be eating more than 800 calories though. Hunger doesn't build, and it does go away if you wait it out. I am never hungry in the morning when I wake up.

I am always hungriest when I wake up, havin gone all night without food makes me famished in the morning when I wake.
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help and concern about my fertility, and anorexia, and periods, and hair loss, and starving myself and everything else. I actually found it quite amusing and entertaining. I KNOW 800 is too few and when i posted it initially I didnt say thats what I'm eating a day rather thats all i NEED to feel satisfied. Anyways for all u worriers I'll have u know that i burnt around 750 calories today exercising and ate around 1600 and I'm not hungry anymore YAY :)
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help and concern about my fertility, and anorexia, and periods, and hair loss, and starving myself and everything else. I actually found it quite amusing and entertaining. I KNOW 800 is too few and when i posted it initially I didnt say thats what I'm eating a day rather thats all i NEED to feel satisfied. Anyways for all u worriers I'll have u know that i burnt around 750 calories today exercising and ate around 1600 and I'm not hungry anymore YAY :)

Glad we amused you. Have fun. :)
  • nicleed
    Options

You need more than 1600 cals if you are going to burn 750.... :)
  • PikaKnight
    Options

You need more than 1600 cals if you are going to burn 750....

You are just amusing and entertaining the OP now. I'd just leave it alone. She's going to do what she wants and hopefully we won't see another thread like this from her since she's figured it out.
  • nicleed
    Options
    Eh, I'm bored :)
  • CrystalZ2012
    CrystalZ2012 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    CLARIFYING: im FRIKKING EATING lol im not anorexic. The 800 calories is only on random days that i really dont feel hungry at all.
    Listen to your body and eat on the days when you are hungrier than usual. Also pay attention to the type of food you're eating as well. Eat whole grains and more protien, and less empty carb foods to fell fuller.

Try to avoid eating less than 1200 calories though. If you work out, eat more. :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I eat between 800 and 900 and trust me it's enough, if you can stick with it. I find small things that can fill me up and keep me that way..radishes and tomotoes are my go to filler. Or if I'm really hungry I will eat over my calorie limits. No need in depriving yourself if your hungry. Be sure it's hunger and not bordom. Brocolli slaw is very low in calories and such a great filler. I saute it in some olive oil spray and add some soy sauce and add shrimp, really yummy and one cup is 25 calories and there are about 3.5 cups per bag. Amazingly yummy.

For the record, this is no way promoting anyone eat the way I do....this is my choice and my choice alone. I don't recommend it and I don't think it's for everyone. I was just answering her question.

Why would anyone listen to you? It's not like you've lost 156 pounds or anything... :bigsmile: :wink:

You shouldn't feel you need to explain what works for you in a thread where you simply answered the girl's question. My rule has been to stay out of this "starvation mode" debate on these message boards because all of the "experts" here will quote all of the other "experts" and you can't make a valid point without getting jumped all over. Nobody is trying to recommend that this girl starve herself. She just asked why she's so hungry. If you eat 900 calories of white bread and cookies, you're probably going to be ravenous. If you eat 900 calories of good, healthy food you are not going to go into "starvation mode" unless you're running a couple of marathons every week. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to do some non-MFP research on what starvation mode actually is. I'M NOT SAYING THIS CHILD SHOULD EAT 800 CALORIES A DAY!!! I'm just saying it can be done and still be healthy if you do it wisely. BUT... if she's saying she's hungry she needs to eat more.

Now a question for the OP..... have you stopped having periods? Is your hair falling out? Are you 10% body fat OR LESS? If you answered no to all of these you're going to be just fine. Now go eat and make all these nice folks happy.

You are on her friends list so of course you are going to stick up for it. Nice of you though :)
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Not sure if troll... or serious.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    800 Calories. Oh my. There are some days I almost get that amount by Lunchtime. Don't suffer at least have over 1,200.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

You need more than 1600 cals if you are going to burn 750.... :)

Yes, still not eating enough but go for it since you don't want to listen to anyone anyhow.
  • gcarr12
    Options
    Also eat more fiber.... it'll keep you full... fruits, vegetables, beans, berries, oats, ezekiel bread, brown rice... if you are eating plain white rice and breads.. within 2-3 hours you'll be hungry again due to the lack of fiber and because they digest so fast. Check what your fiber intake is right now thats probably why you feel so hungry on some days. Also.. drink COLD water it'll help keep you full too.. but high protein and high fiber
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    *headdesk*

I just sighed quietly to myself. If i had a desk handy my head would be firmly on it too!

Just because a thought passes through either of your heads does not mean it needs to be or ought to be shared.

Oh I do apologise oh mighty internet god. Tough, this is a public forum, you don't like other people having an opinion use the ignore button. Some threads provoke a head desk situation. 800 cals is too low in any case for a adult female who isn't recovering from weight loss surgery. Maybe my reply wasn't put very eloquently but it was NYE and alcohol had been taken. I just get a weary of young girls under eating and abusing their bodies when with a bit of education and research they could lose weight in a much better way.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I eat between 800 and 900 and trust me it's enough, if you can stick with it. I find small things that can fill me up and keep me that way..radishes and tomotoes are my go to filler. Or if I'm really hungry I will eat over my calorie limits. No need in depriving yourself if your hungry. Be sure it's hunger and not bordom. Brocolli slaw is very low in calories and such a great filler. I saute it in some olive oil spray and add some soy sauce and add shrimp, really yummy and one cup is 25 calories and there are about 3.5 cups per bag. Amazingly yummy.

For the record, this is no way promoting anyone eat the way I do....this is my choice and my choice alone. I don't recommend it and I don't think it's for everyone. I was just answering her question.

Why would anyone listen to you? It's not like you've lost 156 pounds or anything... :bigsmile: :wink:

You shouldn't feel you need to explain what works for you in a thread where you simply answered the girl's question. My rule has been to stay out of this "starvation mode" debate on these message boards because all of the "experts" here will quote all of the other "experts" and you can't make a valid point without getting jumped all over. Nobody is trying to recommend that this girl starve herself. She just asked why she's so hungry. If you eat 900 calories of white bread and cookies, you're probably going to be ravenous. If you eat 900 calories of good, healthy food you are not going to go into "starvation mode" unless you're running a couple of marathons every week. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to do some non-MFP research on what starvation mode actually is. I'M NOT SAYING THIS CHILD SHOULD EAT 800 CALORIES A DAY!!! I'm just saying it can be done and still be healthy if you do it wisely. BUT... if she's saying she's hungry she needs to eat more.

You are on her friends list so of course you are going to stick up for it. Nice of you though :)

I'm on her friends list NOW.... I wasn't when I first read her post.