How to Diet with no Money

124»

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I eat a lot of beans, rice and pasta and I'm doing great! Just don't overeat those things and choose whole grain, high fiber versions when you can. As for produce, buy frozen fruits and vegetables. They are just as good for you but super cheap.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Target or Walmart will save you a lot of money. Walmart is cheaper but Target is better and not that much more expensive.

Buy thinks in bulk when you can. Canned black beans, bag of brown rice, buy meat when it's on sale & put it in a freezer if you've got the room. I stick to mostly chicken because it's cheaper and I don't like red meat. Protein powder. You can buy it for 20 bucks it's filling and and it will last you an extremely long time. Cut back on buying snacks--they're expensive, don't provide much nutrition and don't last very long. Always check the dates on things, if you're going to buy something fresh make sure you'll use it before it expires, meal planning can help with this.

I don't know how Anti-carb you are but maybe some whole whole barilla plus protein pasta, yes it's a little pricey but pasta lasts a long time. Make your own sauce and freeze it. The stuff you buy at the store is loaded with sodium and sugar. doesn't taste good and doesn't last.

Peanut butter! It's cheap and it has fat and protein so you'll feel full, it also lasts a very long time.

Buy the big heads of lettuce or romaine hearts that aren't already chopped, they last longer & they are cheaper then the precut lettuce and seriously take no time at all to prepare.

Buy big bags of frozen veggies, they aren't as good as fresh but they also last longer, are cheaper and still provide you with teh same nutritional benefits.

Limit how often you eat out. Try to eat at home as much as possible. Only buy what you need. If you have to go back to the store that's fine. it's better then wasting a bunch of money because food expires.

*EDIT*
    Oatmeal is your friend! You can buy a big tub of old fashioned oatmeal and add your own stuff. Also I love tubs of Greek Yogurt ! It is a little more expensive then regular but SO much more filling and delicious and healthier!
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Tips:
    Buy only what is on sale then figure out different ways to put it together as a meal.

Buy the meat that is marked 50% or 75% off then cut it down to single portions and freeze or cook it right away, portion, then freeze it. One lb of meat divided into 3oz portion sizes = 5 servings.

Ramen noodles are fine but make sure you add a little protein and veggies. Don't use the spice packet that comes with it because thats where the majority of the sodium is.

Fresh veggies can sometimes be frozen, like corn on the cob.

Buying in bulk is hard to do when you've only got $20 to last a month. Don't worry about trying it right now.

Stay away from stores like Costco. They are expensive unless you're shopping with someone who has a club card and is willing to sell you a single jar of spaghetti sauce or whatever from what they are buying. The savings just aren't there from what I have seen at the nearest one to me - you're better off buying a single jar of $1 spaghetti sauce from your regular store and stretching it out.

The biggest exception to the bulk store is going somewhere like WinCo. You can get things like beans, cereals, and oats in bulk for cheaper than anywhere else.

You can always go to fast food places for condiments. Ketchup, BBQ sauce, ranch dressing, even butter and syrup from wherever sells breakfast.

You can often find bags of frozen veggies and other staples at places like the dollar store. If it's just you, one bag will stretch out a day or more. When money gets tight I start shopping almost exclusively at dollar stores. Real dollar stores where everything is $1 or less.

A sample:

You were able to find 3lbs of chicken breast for $6 marked down 50%. That's $3.00
    12 pack of Ramen noodles for $2.12
    8 bags frozen veggies for $1 each (usually 3.5 servings each bag =28 servings), $8.00
    1 jar Hunt's 25oz spaghetti sauce (6 servings) $1
    1 can chicken broth $1
    Eggs on sale 12/.99 $1
    1 can black beans $1
    1 loaf bread (22 slices) $1
    1 jar peanut butter $1
    $19.12

1lb chicken (cooked with salt and pepper then shredded), 1 can chicken broth, 1 can rinsed black beans, 1 bag frozen mixed veggies + water to cover = chicken soup
    Throw it all in the crockpot in the morning or simmer it in a pot. Portion it out into 10 meals and freeze (seriously, my family of 4 can eat this twice and still have a bowl or 2 left over. My husband usually eats 1 1/2-2 portions at a meal so you may even have more).

1/2 pack of ramen noodles = 1 serving. So 12 packs is 24 servings. 1/2 cup Spaghetti sauce is normal serving but if you drop it to 1/3 or 1/4 cup, you can stretch it that much further. 1/4 cup = 12 servings in that one can. Set aside 6 packs of ramen noodles and the can of sauce to make 12 individual servings of spaghetti. Add an ounce of chicken and a 1/2 serving of veggies to each one.

There's 22 meals so far.

This still leaves you with 12 eggs, 20 ounces of chicken breast, 18.5 servings of vegetables, 12 servings of noodles, 22 slices of bread, and a jar of peanut butter to make up the other 68 meals in a month plus whatever you have on hand at this time.

Toast with peanut butter. Egg with veggies = frittata. Veggies and noodles with a packet of sweet and sour sauce from Jack in the Box = vegetarian stirfry. Take one of the portions of frozen chicken soup, split it in half and add a serving of noodles for chicken noodle soup. Get a BBQ sauce packet from McDonalds and baste 2oz of chicken. Bake it and serve with a serving of noodles and veggies. Chicken sandwich with veggies. Sweet & sour sauce + peanut butter blended together = poor man's peanut satay sauce for your noodles. Add a soy sauce packet to taste from Panda Express.

Cheap? Yep. Will it keep you under calories? Yep. I personally think that with your money situation being what it is, you need to concentrate more on getting enough food than with hitting macros. As long as you stay under calories you will be fine in the short term.
  • Do you have a food4less grocery store near you? Or even a food warehouse? I live near an Amar Ranch Food Warehouse and I found .59 cent per pound chicken. So you just have to look for the cheaper deals. Mexican stores tend to have great deals on meat/chicken and rice. Also, as long as you exercise everyday, you can eat carbs and not worry. I eat things like rice, noodles, and potatoes all the time but I also do cardio everyday. The thing with ramen is the sodium. You have to drink a lot of water to prevent water retention.
  • kay930
    kay930 Posts: 54 Member
    I'm sorry you are in this situation. I have been on a tight food budget as well for my family of 5. If you know how to bake or cook that will help you a lot. You can get a bag of flour pretty cheap and you can make your own pancakes or waffles if you have a waffle iron and freeze leftovers. Just lay them out on wax paper on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer, when frozen put them in freezer bags. Then when you want one you can just pop them in the microwave or toaster oven. Eggs are super cheap and they are great for any meal. Peanut butter & jelly is cheap and good for lunch. PB toast, eggs or oatmeal is good & cheap. Beans & rice like everyone else has said, but really rice is soo cheap and healthy. Try not to buy bottles water drink tap it's too much money for your budget. I would buy a whole chicken if you can work it into your budget, and cook it then freeze it in 1 cup portions so you can just pull out what you want or need. Allrecipes is also a good website to look for recipes, you can input what you have in your cabinets and it will pull up recipes that go along with those ingredients that you enter. Coupons would really help if you have the time or engery to do that. There are a ton of websites to print coupons from. Coupons.com, smartsource.com, are a few that I can think of and of course you can always get the paper ones. If you can't afford the paper ask family or friends to give you their unwanted coupons. Good luck & best wishes to you.
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    I am currently unemployed. I want to use this time to get healthier and lose weight because I finally have time to cook meals and exercise. When I go to the store to buy mostly fresh produce and proteins my grocery bill triples! Because I have 0 income I feel pressured to buy things that will last longer and cost less such as Ramen Noodles, Beans, Rice, Pasta, etc. I know that these things should not be the bulk of what I am eating but my cabinets are empty and I don't know what else to do. I am truly always HUNGRY. Even though I have been more active, I have actually gained weight because of my carb intake. I have $20 to buy my food for the next month. There has to be an affordable solution to this problem. Please Help.
    I am also unemployed. I once had same problem for 2 months. I managed by buying only veggies and some fruits (depending on seasons, i bought bananas and few oranges).... From my personal opinion, "veggies are damn cheap". I also bought green mung beans which was 35 rupees ($0.8) 250 g packet. 25g per day boiled in very few amount of water gives large amount and u can manage it for a week.. Also one kg of cauliflower is less than $0.5....
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Buy frozen vegetables. They're not as nutrient-packed as fresh produce, but they are healthy, cheaper, and they last a lot longer than the fresh stuff!
    This is actually a myth when it comes to frozen fruit in veggies, in a sense. The longer that a vegetable and fruit is off the vine, the less nutrients it will have. Frozen veggies & fruit are frozen just after being picked, so they are just as, if not more, nutrition packed. As long as they aren't filled with a crap ton of sodium, frozen fruit and veggies are a good solution.
  • Bump. Great ideas here. Thank you everyone!
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Veggies are cheap. And actually trying to eat clean is much cheaper than the processed crap thats out there. But I'd say if your are very low on money, try to lean on your veggies, and rice.