Rude comments at the gym

Options
13»

Replies

• bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    you are there to improve your health and fitness. 2 teenage boys have no impact on your decision to improve yourself.
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    I have been on both ends of making the wrong assumption many times, so I try to be careful when I think someone is having a go at me. In your shoes, I would probably have eyeballed them (evidently I can summon up a death stare!) because I am insecure and suspicious :) and said something like "Pardon?"
    They will either back off, explain themselves, or ramp up the attack - in which case it will be obvious what their intentions are, and you will know how to deal with them.
    I work at a pool, and we had a situation where one of the pools was temporarily out of bounds because we couldn't see it. I had a woman, whose kids I had already chased out several times, look me up and down with disgust and say "what are YOU going to do, save them?!"
    So I listed my many life saving, first aid and CPR qualifications current at the time and said "yes, actually!"
    She didn't have a comeback, and looked like the stupid, judgemental fool that she was.
    Yes, I'm over copping crap too.
    Fortunately, these days I'm usually getting compliments! :)
  • diverchic73
    diverchic73 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Sooo? Did you report them? I hope that the gym was supportive as, no matter who, what, where you are, nobody deserves to be harassed!
  • mominwi419
    Options
    Regardless of whether or not the comments were directed at you, NO ONE deserves to put up with that obnoxious behavior.

I would speak with management. It's awesome that you'll continue going to the gym no matter what comments were said, but someone else may not have the courage to come back after hearing that.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    You sure they were talking about you?
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You should have said something to put those punk kids in their place. There is no reason to quietly abide by anyone teasing or taunting you, and it would be good for your self esteem to stand up for yourself. I would have either talked to them like I imagine my mom would talk to kids acting up (i.e. made them feel like ashamed scolded children) or said something along the lines of, "I'm big, and I am at the gym working to get myself in shape. What are you doing to work on not being a little twit?"
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    First off I'm sorry that happened to you. Teenage boys can be stupid at best sometimes. I agree with anyone that says you can take it up with the gym management. You pay to be there just like them. Your a beautiful young lady and they should of gotten straight plain pimp smacked by your trainer. :) Keep the faith in yourself and don't allow a cpl of goofs to deter you... Your better than that :)
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I guess my sick and twisted *kitten* would have said "based on the lack of buldge in your pants we know it wouldn't be either of you!"
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Speak with the gym manager. I personally pay too much money for my gym membership to be harassed by someone's kids. If I was told my children were rude and obnoxious in a public forum, they wouldn't be allowed back into that forum until they grew up. If its a good gym they will take care of that for you. I work out at the Y and there are standards of conduct for gym participants.

THis
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    My favourite revenge on people like this is direct confrontation. It's the last thing they expect, and the look on their face makes it all worth while.

Stroll straight up to them, look them in the eye and say 'I'm sorry, were you speaking to me'?

I've done this a few times, and it never ceases to make me feel better, and them feel a whole lot worse.

Don't be embarrassed. Don't let them knock you. You have to know you're a better person than they are....
  • littlekat1
    littlekat1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would talk to the manager at the gym or file a complaint. That kind of behavior is completely unacceptable. You are there to work on your fitness not be made fun of by a couple of jerks.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'd speak to the gym manager.

Personally I think the trainer should have handled the situation. You don't let people degrade your clients in front of you.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I noticed two particularly loud teenage boys in the gym.
    I heard some snickering and laughter from them which I was pretty sure was directed me since I'm pretty overweight, or for lack of a better phrase fat.

First one - they are loud teenage boys. Teenage boys are dumb (as are teenage girls)

Second - they may not have been talking about you at all. The comments of "Someone's getting big in here" I have heard crap like that in my gym and it was directed the one of the other kids who was working out with the group - of course being overweight I got a little upset but then I figured you know what? I am here for ME and for MY health and if they want to judge me so be it. It says an awful lot more about them than you.

Just keep doing what your doing. If you are there and it happens again go talk to the manager or a senior staff member- you do NOT have to put up crap like that EVER.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Tell them to piss off and mind their own business :smile: wankers...
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you see them again, and they continue making rude comments, you should mention it to the gym manager. I work out alone, so I wear headphones to avoid hearing anything that might be directed at me. I like to get in and get out, and will do whatever I need to do to keep it that way.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Let's give the trainer the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he thought it was best not to make a big deal out of this in order to spare the OP's feelings. Maybe he caught up with the punks later & busted them.

Considering the trainer is an employee of the gym, I think had the OP confronted the punks he would have stepped up. Think this through, if he had made an issue out of this maybe the OP would have been too embarrassed to return.

BTW I would have walked over and asked the little boys to let me in on the joke & explain just what was so funny.