Any Chunky Runners Out There?

Options

Replies

• Huggenkiss27
    Options
    Working on being a not chunky runner here! I have my first half marathon on February 9th. Would love to have some support/running friends.
  • akhilton
    Options
    yep - chunky runner!

Was less chunky when I was training properly, then I stopped - now chunky again!

But back on it :-D
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Anyone who thinks a minute is not a long time obviously has not spent it on the treadmill for the first time ;)

Just starting running again.
  • adstar20
    adstar20 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I fall into this category. Started running at the end of October at around 270lbs. I am now at 240lbs. The running has definitely helped but I would still consider myself chunky.

I now run 30kms or more a week (6 days a week-mostly treadmill) and have a resting heart rate below 60bpm. I can't say I have the running bug, as it is not something I enjoy, but it really works if you keep at it. I have only been at it for two months and I am way more fit than I was when I started.

Feel free to add me.
  • Melli118_14
    Melli118_14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Chunky Runner here!! i'm getting back into getting in shape..feel free to add me.
  • goin2getskinny
    Options
    Hey guys! I'm just starting my diet 2day but it is my goal to lose 60 pounds & be a runner. I was into walking/jogging b4 I got previously but now I'm ready 2 lose this baby weight for good. Chunky runner here just getting started!!!!!
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    Yup! I got the running bug about 2 years ago! started the C25K and absolutely loved it! Then I fell off the wagon got back on...kind of like diets! This is the year to change. I love running! Totally stinks in the beginning but totally gets easier!
  • Tigger78
    Tigger78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I ran cross country in high school. Went on to college on a cross country scholarship. I loved running! Well, life happened, I got married and had a few kids. Needless to say, my running went to the back burner. Now that my kids are older I needed to find something to get me back into shape and make me feel better!! Started running last January and have just enjoyed it to no end. I even did a half marathon in October. This year I'm planning on two 5k obstacle runs and two possibly three half marathons!

Feel free to add me as a friend!! :smile:
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    well, probably more of chunky jogger. I love to run but am quite slow. I can go about 4 or 5 miles no problem (down from 8 maximum when I was at my fittest) but it takes me a while.

Feel free to add me!

Rachel
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Over here! I have been a chunky runner for a few years, and will start training for my 3rd marathon next week. (I can't WAIT!) :smile:
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hi, chubby bunny jogger, working on the running.

Tips for new runners (from someone who's experienced all the wrong things):

1. Buy good shoes. Or buy new feet later. Putting the extra dosh in for a good pair of shoes is going to shave you thousands on medical bills later in the future for running in cheap shoes. From back, to shin, knee and foot problems. So get a good pair of shoes, talk to a good shoe-store representative (or better yet, a fitness instructor), and get the shoe that reflects what you're going to do with it. And inserts. Might as well. It'll be better in the long run.

Replace your shoes ever 3-4 months (if you use them daily), depending on wear. Also replace your inserts with your shoes every single time.

When getting a new pair of shoes, break them in with a nice long walk. I typically love going on long mall-walk-shopping trips on shoe-buy-day. I get them at the store, and break them in the same day as I go looking around video games or whatever tickles my fancy that day.

2. Posture. Muscles are going to be a huge factor in your posture. Never break it, learn the right posture. And if all else fails and you're feeling sore in your body- Plank it. Do 30-second planks 5-6 times a day until your runs are less sore. This will strenghting your core and back muscles, which effect your posture.

3. Push, but don't break. This means listening to your body, but knowing your mind as well. Tell yourself 'get to that stop sign' or 'turn that corner!', set small goals. The Couch to 5k program is amazing, even if you don't have a droid or anything- you can time it with an MP3 player and find a rythem that works for you.

4. Water. Drink it. You should, as an adult be drinking a MINIUM of 8 glasses (or for those larger bodies- half your body weight in oz's. IE: 233 lbs/2 =116.5 oz of water, that's 15 glasses a day). Your body is going to need it.
  • girlsrun
    Options
    Me!!! Third marathon next month! 12 min. mile girl but I will get it done! :smile:
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    I am 6'1 and I weigh 257 pounds. Six Months ago I said the only reason to run is because you are being chased. Now I am going to do 2 5K's this year. I don't have dreams of doing a half Mary or anything but I got the bug a little.

1 good tip...Buy running shoes. I just bought Skechers GO RUN kicks for like $70. don't have to be fitted. and they make a world of difference
  • AJDistel
    Options
    I did c25k over a year ago and got up to running 5 miles at 240lbs. Love running!! Just this last March, I found out I was pregnant so I stopped running in July. I'm on my last leg of this pregnancy and can't wait to get back to running. Gonna lose all the weight this time!

Anyone feel free to add me!!!
  • Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am currently a chunky runner I did 5 5k's and a 10K last year, so feel free to add me anyone

Hopefully I can change the chunky runner status
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    This guy right here. I be one.
  • taffymangos
    taffymangos Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm a chunky jogger. I have a hard time speeding up to a run. I usually take my dog with me and I know he wants to run not jog, but we still enjoy it. any tips anyone has would be appreciated.
  • katies71123
    Options
    I just started "running" in 2012 and am addicted! =) I've done a 5K every quarter of 2012 and plan on trying to hit a half marathon by end of 2013. We'll see if that happens....
    Feel free to add me!
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am a chunky runner!
  • whittlelauraann
    Options
    I am a chunky wanna be runner lol! I started jogging back in the summer although since the snow hit here have only run on the elliptical. I am hoping to get back into it though... just got to get over my dislike for the cold!