the potato truth?

rkascak
rkascak Posts: 224 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So i was talking to someone and told them i went to wendys but didnt over do it becuase I just had a baked potato with brocolli no cheese. But he said potatos arent goos for you. He said that the starch from potatoes can turn into sugar and fat before your metabolism can burn it off. Now im scared to eat anything potato.... whats the truth of potatoes

Replies

• The truth about potatoes is that they are a good source of potassium and fiber and can be part of a healthy diet, especially when they are baked or roasted and topped sensibly.
  • I refuse to eat them... when I hear the word potato I think gaining weight... I think of fat being stored on my hips... After I eat one, I actually feel gross...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    The truth about potatoes is that they are a good source of potassium and fiber and can be part of a healthy diet, especially when they are baked or roasted and topped sensibly.

Agreed, just limit the size of you portion as they do have a lot of carbs
  • emberd
    emberd Posts: 36
    They are starchy, but still have loads of minerals and vitamins (as far as my research shows). I like potatoes, skin and all so I eat them in moderation. Of course, these days I'm eating everything in moderation!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Last time I had potatoes I mashed them with equal amount of cauliflower, skim milk, and small amount of fat -free ricotta cheese. It had an different taste to it, but {imho} delicious!
  • I say everything in moderation. =)

As long as you don't gorge yourself on potatoes I don't think it should be a problem.
  • rkascak
    rkascak Posts: 224 Member
    So it seems that potatos arent too bad, but are a once a week kind of food
  • ambee0803
    ambee0803 Posts: 89 Member
    Just based on the nutrition label I thought they were actually pretty good for you. Too bad the nutrotion label wont tell you if its gonna make you fat anyway. one potato isnt going to turn you in to a cow so Id say dont eat them every day but they should be fine in moderation. just like anything else that tastes good :)
  • Just remember when you eat potatoes that you should definitely eat the skin. That is where a lot of the fiber and vitamins are. So if you're going to go in for the starch (which in moderation is fine - everything in moderation and you should be okay), then it's best to get the fiber and everything else the potato has to offer.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    The truth about potatoes:

Potatoes are not bad, its what people do to potatoes. If you bake a potato and eat it exactly like that with no added anything, skin and all it is healthy for you, but almost everyone has to add something too it. Loading up a potato with butter, cheese, sour cream, bacon bits, etc., etc. is not good. I like a tiny bit of butter and some Mrs. Dash and it has a wonderful flavor. :)
  • Every body is different. I can't have potatoes, and I am somewhat preachy to my family about the fact that potatoes are bad news. High in starch and carbs, I avoid them like I avoid white bread, white rice, white flour, and refined white sugar products. I have personally had good success removing them from my diet! Note** I was never a potato addict, so it was easy for me. My sis, on the other hand, will eat mashed potatoes AND french fries at dinner.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    I have potatoes probably 5 days a week and have ever since I started 09.08.2009. As others have stated, they're a great source of potassium, vitamin B6 and vitamin C! The proof is in the puddin', as they say. I try to keep my baked potatoes at 150g or less, but that's usually to fit it in for my calories (and so that I don't have to add more REAL full-fat calorie laden sour cream :indifferent:).

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2550/2
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Every body is different. I can't have potatoes, and I am somewhat preachy to my family about the fact that potatoes are bad news. High in starch and carbs, I avoid them like I avoid white bread, white rice, white flour, and refined white sugar products. I have personally had good success removing them from my diet! Note** I was never a potato addict, so it was easy for me. My sis, on the other hand, will eat mashed potatoes AND french fries at dinner.

Potatoes are different than these other white foods because the white foods have everything removed and then a smidget is put back. =BAD

Potatoes have natural occuring vitamins that are not removed. Sure they are carby and starchy but its natural so our bodies can process it. As long as you are within your carbs, you can have one whenever the urge strikes...I do! and i LOVE potatoes!
  • Potato info taken from: http://www.potatogoodness.com/HealthyLiving/
    A 3.5oz potatoe - with skin on:

- Has just 110 calories
    - Has nearly half your Daily Value of vitamin C (45%)
    - Is one of the best sources of potassium (614 mg) and fiber (2 g) in the produce section. (Potassium helps maintain normal blood pressure, and we all know how good fiber is for you :smile: )
    - Is naturally fat-free and sodium-free
    And, according to USDA MyPyramid, 1 medium skin-on potato = 1 cup starchy vegetables.

I don't recommend that you chow down on potatoes every day, but considering all the good nutrients in them, it's probably safe to have one once in a while.

And - make sure to store your potatoes properly. Someone else in this thread mentioned that the starch can turn to sugar (or something like that) and that is true - so don't put potatoes in the fridge!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Potatoes aren't bad for you anymore than bananas or apples or oranges (high in sugars).
    It's all about moderation of foods, not any specific food being "bad".
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    I was on the atkins diet 10 years ago to get ready for my wedding. And it worked...sorta. The problem is that I LOVE carbs. I simply cannot LIVE that way. I went back to my normal eating habits and ballooned back up. There are only a few things I won't eat, and those are more because of other things they do to my body. Now, I just eat LESS and make sure I have room in my daily numbers for them. Baked potatoes are something I love, I fix them like I always have, but I only eat half, or do a really small one.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Just remember when you eat potatoes that you should definitely eat the skin. That is where a lot of the fiber and vitamins are. So if you're going to go in for the starch (which in moderation is fine - everything in moderation and you should be okay), then it's best to get the fiber and everything else the potato has to offer.

This.
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    GOOD POST! I love baked fried and baked potatos.
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Any complex starch turns into sugar. Complex cards break down into simple carbs (aka sugar). It has vitamins and is good for you. Just count it. Don't let anyone tell you something is bad, it's rarely completely true.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Potatoes aren't bad for you anymore than bananas or apples or oranges (high in sugars).
    It's all about moderation of foods, not any specific food being "bad".

Agreed.
This discussion has been closed.