the potato truth?

2»

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    The truth about potatoes is that they are a good source of potassium and fiber and can be part of a healthy diet, especially when they are baked or roasted and topped sensibly.

Agreed, just limit the size of you portion as they do have a lot of carbs

yep, actually very good nutritionally
  • Potatoes have something called resistant starch. It's a good thing. Your body can not break it down and store it, it acts like dietary fibre.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Years ago, my mom lost a ton of weight and she ate a baked potato with the 0 calorie spray butter almost every night. Sure, it is starchy, but it is a good starch. Plus, they have so many nutrients. I really don't think having one will hurt you.
  • Potatos are wonderful -- for a medium potato with skin its about 100 calories - 0 fat - low cholestrol - low sodium - its a carbohydrate which is what gives it a "bad" name - people dont like carbs, they think they are bad - they arent bad, but as with everything they need to be eaten in moderation.
    Potatos are higher on the glycemic index, which I think is where they get a bad rap.... but if you are going to Wendy's, I think that a potato w/ broccoli is a great choice.
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    GOOD POST! I love baked fried and baked potatos.

Oops I meant Baked French Fries..
  • rkascak
    rkascak Posts: 224 Member
    wow thanks guys!
    This was so helpful!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    My sis, on the other hand, will eat mashed potatoes AND french fries at dinner.

wow! are we related? :) love me some mashed potatos and french fries in the same meal. that is my idea of ambrosia. lol.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Potatoes may have vitamins and minerals, but at the expense of causing a major insulin response, many say that humans don't need potatoes.

I tend to agree. We do not need starchy foods such as potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, crackers, etc...................especially the white variety.

I do eat about a quarter of a baked sweet potato every blue moon, but mostly around the holidays only. I eat it with butter and cinnamon.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    My sis, on the other hand, will eat mashed potatoes AND french fries at dinner.

wow! are we related? :) love me some mashed potatos and french fries in the same meal. that is my idea of ambrosia. lol.

That is like going into carb coma.
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    So i was talking to someone and told them i went to wendys but didnt over do it becuase I just had a baked potato with brocolli no cheese. But he said potatos arent goos for you. He said that the starch from potatoes can turn into sugar and fat before your metabolism can burn it off. Now im scared to eat anything potato.... whats the truth of potatoes

The baked potatoes at Wendy's are injected with margarine after they cook them. I saw them do that when I was waiting for my baked potato a while back. Ive never eaten them there since seeing that.

I love potatoes but I prepare them myself this way I control what goes in them.
  • So i was talking to someone and told them i went to wendys but didnt over do it becuase I just had a baked potato with brocolli no cheese. But he said potatos arent goos for you. He said that the starch from potatoes can turn into sugar and fat before your metabolism can burn it off. Now im scared to eat anything potato.... whats the truth of potatoes

The baked potatoes at Wendy's are injected with margarine after they cook them. I saw them do that when I was waiting for my baked potato a while back. Ive never eaten them there since seeing that.

I love potatoes but I prepare them myself this way I control what goes in them.

Maybe that was just the one you went to. I specifically asked one day and the one here in decatur told me that if you ask for it plain thats what you get, no butter, no salt no anything.
This discussion has been closed.