Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Tape worms.
  • Bsp120167
    Bsp120167 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think diet is a very individual thing. I personally have always liked the Zone diet approach 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. I like to go very light on the starch and flour based products and find my body likes when I eat more gluten free. At the end of the day it is just watching your calories based on activity level, but the Zone builds that into the eating plan for you.
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I bought Bob harper's book "The skinny rules" . (the biggest loser) I've followed his rules and have finally lost the weight that was yo yoing up and down for the past few years. I also workout 4 days a week. So I guess good old fashion diet and excersise. Highly recomend his book!!!
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has been saying, the best diet is no diet. Getting exercise and limiting calories (reasonably) is the best way to lose weight.

Also, a little bit about low-carb. I lost a ton of weight on South Beach, but as soon as I started eating food again, I immediately gained back some of the water weight and within a few months I was heavier than before. That's kind of a common thing with dieting, especially plans that restrict a certain macronutrient. I would strongly RECOMMEND AGAINST LOW-CARBING! There's a legitimate scientific explanation to describe how you lose so much weight on it, but you are also losing muscle mass and water weight and it WILL NOT STAY OFF! Just a disclaimer from someone who is absolutely loving losing weight the right way. :)
  • LorikBeck
    Options
    Hi!
    I too have just started a low carb diet, although I have done so previously and lost. The problem I am having now is my weight is not coming off as it use to do. Please tell me what you do eat now on a low carb plan.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    what works for me may not work for you. i refuse to use the word diet as it implies that is for a limited time. to truly lose the weight i have and what i plan on losing i have changed my way of thinking about my eating needs.

gone are the fastfood lunches/dinners 4-5 times a week. gone are the packs of donuts i would eat for breakfast.

i replaced that with a simple bowl of cereal in the morning, with my lunch being 4oz pasta with 3 oz of chicken. dinner consists of a peanutbutter fantasy weightloss shake from the gym. all in in all that is about 1300 calories a day (recommended 1900) and then factoring in my 700 cal burn minimum at the cardio and i am well under my goals for the day. i snack on about a cup or two of popcorn at night.

while that seems very little i do not go to bed hungry or feel lightheaded cause i am not getting enough nutrition.

weekends i eat a couple of slices of pizza and maybe have lunch at subway or panera but again it is all within my calorie goals for the day.

just find what works for you and stick to it. it may not happen overnight but you will eventually find what keeps you sustained and within your budget, both calorie and financially
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Tape worms.

You're my favorite.
  • tomservo
    Options
    I don't want to sound too blunt here, but for as long as you think there is such a thing as "different diets" you will not succeed long-term.

Eat the right - balanced - food, in the right quantities. Less calories to lose weight, the correct calories to maintain weight. Drink water and exercise often.

Obviously that's a simplification of the overall process, but anything that deviates from that simple route is just not going to help. Especially fad diets like Atkins - they are just downright harmful!
  • one15ts
    one15ts Posts: 91
    Options
    combo of iifym, if and p90 everyday.
  • tomservo
    Options
    Tape worms.

It's 2013. You clearly mean MP3 worms.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Fad diets are temporary fixes. If you want sustainability, then eating healthy well balanced meals within your calorie limits and exercise is the way to go.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    No diet. I just count my calories and get up off of my butt. I do try not to partake in much sugar or fast food but besides that....... it's not a diet. Just a habit change.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If I wanted to continue yo-yoing with temporary fad and starvation diets I would have not joined here. While you can use this to do that, you'd be better served by setting reasonable weight loss goals, reasonable intake caloric goals, and moving.

Quite frankly, if you did better on a fad diet you wouldn't need this site either.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Tape worms.

You're my favorite.

:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has been saying, the best diet is no diet. Getting exercise and limiting calories (reasonably) is the best way to lose weight.

Ditto.

I have lost weight and maintained it thanks to the eat less, move more approach thanks to MFP. The only "diet" you will be successful with- and by that I mean losing weight AND maintaining that loss - is the one you can follow for life. As cliche as it sounds, diets don't work. Total lifestyle changes do. People like to take the easy route and drink a shake or take a pill and BAM! you are thin. It doesn't work long term and it isn't sustainable.

Learn to eat reasonable portion size. Stay within your calories. Embrace vegetables. Move around, even if it is just doing some short walks. Weight loss will happen.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    No eating after dinner, no processed foods, no refined sugars.

Exercise 5x a week

Works for me every time i stick to it :)
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I have tried many diets though none really work, so I have been eating healthy but I like to be able to have a diet plan. Any work well for you guys? :)

The eat whatever you want and stick to your calorie diet.
    ^^^^^^^
    BINGO!
    It's simple...just hard.....:bigsmile:
    Good Luck!
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    eating healthy

works best
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I've never tried a 'diet' before - I'm 53.

I've lost 29 pounds of the 38 I need to be at my 'ideal' weight by eating healthy and logging my food. All the research says that 'diets' - especially lots of different ones that don't work for you - just make it harder to take weight off and keep it off.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit combined with exercise (strength training in particular) has worked best for me. Also, I don't view a "diet" as a temporary change, but rather a long term - almost philosophical - approach to eating and nutrition.

That said, I have experimented with various weight loss eating plans, but in the end, it all comes down to calories in versus calories expended. Tracking what you eat is a big factor because we tend to not realize what we are stuffing into our bodies.

Also, I have done well by eating more small snacks and meals through out the day rather than skipping meals or eating fewer larger meals. I tend to avoid empty calorie foods (where possible - though I do cave and eat the occasional treat from time to time), and eat lots of fresh fruits, vegetables - and lots of fiber. I also get a good amount of protein. Add 5 days or more of exercise (30-60 sessions) a week to that and it works well for me.