What diets have worked best for you?

Options

Replies

• balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    One thing MFP has thought me is lifestyle change, it really is all down to this...a diet can be gone done but t the end of the day it will be more beneficial to loose slowly and have the right mindset towards it. That been said I know everyone is different but for me completely cutting out a certain food has not worked in the past, however, trying to make better choices as i go along is slowly working for me...i used to have toast and biscuits without fail every night as a nightcap of sorts, finally broke that habit. Not that there's anything wrong with this but i feel so much better and will only have it now if its within my limits. :)

Guess its all about finding what suits you, i have tried to cut down on my carbs but havent tried the low-carb diet...somedays ill just try get in much more protein and the likes, best of look with your weight loss. :)
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Just clean eating and exercise. The clean eating book and the Abs diet book are EXCELLENT guides to eating healthy and losing weight!
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on the slim fast plan and kept it off for over a year but then fell back into my old habits. Then a lil over a year ago I started MFP and it's been working great ever since. No special diet plan, just watching what I eat, counting calories and tracking exercise.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My plan has been to eat fewer and fewer processed foods. So I work on constantly finding ways to sub out processed foods and sub in whole foods or homemade foods. Not a plan per se but I've noticed that by doing this, I've almost unintentionally upped my vitamins/minerals, lowered my calories, reduced my sodium intake, etc. Plus I feel better physically and I feel better about the food I'm eating.

ETA: If you can't sustain it for life, I wouldn't consider it a good plan. Just saying. Most of the people I know who have had success meeting and maintaining their goals have made this a life change, not a temporary plan.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The kind where I eat less and calorie count.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight on low carb diet, but gained it back when I started eating "normally" again. What's working for me long term is eating fewer calories than I burn...some days it means eating less and others it means working out so I can eat a little more. I eat only when I'm hungry and only foods that I really want.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have tried many diets though none really work, so I have been eating healthy but I like to be able to have a diet plan. Any work well for you guys? :)

Are you looking for a structured plan that says specifically "eat <this> at X o'clock" or something ristrictive that says "eat a lot of <this> and never eat <that>"? Or just some basic rules for eating a healthy diet?

Personally, I maintain my weight by exercising regularly and eating a diet pretty close to the Mediterranean Diet, which is not specifically a weight loss diet but a healthy eating diet. Basically, I try to the follow the rules outlined in the link below as much as possible, to exercise regularly and only occasionally overeat.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    MFP is the way to go--track everything you're eating and your exercise. It's obvious that eating 12 100 calorie packs per day isn't the answer, so I can't completely agree with eat anything as long as it fits your calories. Pay attention to your goals that this program gives you as far as fiber, calcium, protein, etc. (I think the protein goal is a too low, though). The best advice is to find things you're excited about eating. It's great if they've got protein and some nutrition to go along with being low calorie, but if not, find that somewhere else in your diet. And don't feel badly eating your exercise calories--they're there for a reason.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    dierts are only temporary. You MUST look at it as a lifestyle change

Just saw this after I posted. Agree 110%

Diets are as temporary as one makes them. Just like a lifestyle change. I control how temporary my diet will be.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i havent seen anyone mention eating as much as you want in one sitting then going to the bathroom and jamming the toothbrush down your throat diet
  • bcattoes
    Options
    dierts are only temporary. You MUST look at it as a lifestyle change:indifferent:

Everytime you put something in your mouth, you're on a diet.

Sort of (change 'something' to 'food'). But every time you put food in your mouth you are not necessarily on the same diet.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    No diet.

Just learning to replace unhealthy food with healthy food (one step at a time) and eating a deficit in calories.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    No diet.

Just learning to replace unhealthy food with healthy food (one step at a time) and eating a deficit in calories.

Isn't that the common usage definition of "diet"?
  • Illona88
    Options
    No diet.

Fine then. We mean diet PLAN.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    No diet.

a diet to me refers to something you plan on stopping, not something you plan on sticking to
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Every time I put something in my mouth it becomes part of my "diet". I just choose to put better things in my mouth.

When I eat good, nutritious food and enough of it, I have awesome results. When I exercise on top of eating well, I have even better results. When I eat like crap and I skimp on exercising, I have no results, or I even start sliding backwards (exactly what happened over the past month or so).

So, try to think outside of the mainstream "diet" mentality and instead focus on putting good, nutritious foods that will fuel your workouts and your lifestyle in your body.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    No diet.

??? I don't understand the difference.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    No diet.

a diet to me refers to something you plan on stopping, not something you plan on sticking to

Why would someone plan on stopping something that helped them get to a healthy weight?
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've never really dieted, I've always been an eat what I want kind of person. For several years I've eaten organics and whole foods because I don't agree with CAFO farming and agricultural practices so my grocery shopping reflects that. I do follow a gluten free diet because I have celiacs and for me, it helps maintain my weight and in the first couple of months of switching, I lost almost 30 lbs very quickly. So I guess a celiac diet has worked best for me.
  • Illona88
    Options

??? I don't understand the difference.

The definition of a diet is "everything you eat".
    A diet plan is things like weight watchers, south beach diet, atkins etc.