A Tale of Two Red Dresses.

Options
Happy New Year, folks. Welcome to the month of Mondays that is otherwise known as January.

I don't know about you, but this time of year can take a running jump as far as I'm concerned. Coughs and colds, drizzle, post-festive comedown, and generally that awful perpetual morning-after-the-night-before that comes after a party season. FUN FUN FUN and then...oh. Real life.

Pile that on top of the general festive impact on eating and exercise habits and it's pretty rubbish. I'm just looking forward to having three meals a day, rather than adding mince pies as a new food group. And thank God the gym is open again - I came awfully close to camping outside and offering leftover roast dinner for a spell on the treadmill. Goodness knows what I would have done for a session in the free weights section.

Anyway. Like so many other peeps at this time of year, I stepped on the scale this morning and rolled my eyes a little. Yes, a little partying pudge. Nothing major - 2lb gain - but it was more the way I felt. Lethargic, sluggish, tired. Days that would normally be spent kicking my own behind in the gym were joyfully spent catching up with old friends and the associated munchie goodness. And I wouldn't be without them, but it's the equivalent of waking up in the morning with your head pounding and wondering who you let inside you the night before. Reeeeally wish you'd kept a bit more control over things. And, if you're anything like me, a Catholic guilt to rival all others descends and you're tempted to smash the glass digital scale and carve apologies into your skin.

So. I decided to do what I always do when I have one of my scale freak outs (they're less frequent these days, but occasional rear their ugly head). I decided to dig out photos from a year ago.

My zumba class has an annual (duh) Christmas party. Much food, drink and merriment ensues.

In 2011, I had lost the majority of the weight I had set out to lose. I was feeling damn good. I treated myself to a va-va-voom red dress for the party and felt comfortable, proud and a bit foxy (God bless you, Gok Wan for Sainsburys). The dress was a UK size 14 - a size I'd not been since I was actually 14. I saw the photos afterwards and was incredibly happy with them. I weighed just under 150lb back then.

In 2012, I went balls to the wall festive. Short, red, sequinned, sparkly. Nowhere to hide. A real 'look at me' dress, which for someone who would happily be not-so-little-black-dress wallflower in the past was no mean feat. The dress was a UK size 10. I saw the photos afterwards and was quietly proud. I saw a fit, toned, happy looking girl. I weighed about 7lb less than the same time in 2011.

I think we - and I plonk myself right in the middle of that 'we' - sometimes need to remember that the scale isn't the be all and end all. I know there are many posts on the subject - most much more coherent and less brainfarty than this one! - but this is a particularly scale-centric time of year, and bloody miserable enough as it is. So.

Progress photos; the tape measure; clothes; how bangin' your calf muscles look. All much more loyal friends than that treacherous digital square in the corner of the bathroom.

2011_zps1d73ce6c.jpg

2011, around 150lb

FD9DFD2B-31EB-461B-A2AE-685C1D9D1D90-5037-000004987A11F260.jpg

2012, around 142lb

Replies

• MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Also soooo jealous of that second pic dress!
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Fabulous!
    Do you write a blog? If not, you should consider it. Your writing style is interesting, fun, and easy to read.
  • twinkychops
    twinkychops Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Oh how i have missed you bootiful lady!! fabulous and well said x x x x :flowerforyou:
  • Fannyannefeisty
    Options
    Looking good Mrs. Your dresses look fabulous on you, you can really see the tone and definition. I had a sequin dress once, but I got scratches all up my arms - by the end of the night I looked like a serious self harmer!

... I am back to MFP and although still hacking up a lung, ready to go for it in the New Year. One of the first stops is your profile and writings because they are always so motivational. Lets do this shizz!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much :)

marathon_mama - thank you! I do, but I don't update it anywhere near as often as I should. http://russianweightsandsmallerplates.wordpress.com

FAF - these were GIANT sequins and therefore somehow non-scratchy. However, I did shed sequins all over the bloody shop, like a sort of camp Gretel. And welcome back - kick the crap out of 2013 :)

xxx
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    wow ... impressive ! happy new year
  • Michshellars
    Options
    Great job, congrats! I love the sparkley dress, you look beautiful! :smile:
  • Nanook8
    Nanook8 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Kudos on your success!
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Wow! Nice work!
  • bethany812
    Options
    You look fantastic! You can really see in the second pic how good you feel in that dress!
  • Sandranista
    Sandranista Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You are too cute and too funny!! Great job.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    wow!

the difference is amazing!

and i loved the whole post!
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Great work and dedication. Well done you.
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Wow, look at you! You look great :)
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    What a bloody marvellous post! You look fabulous and very much prove the point that the digital square is evil, very well done and continue with what you're doing as it obviously works! Marvellous! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So glad I took the time to read this!!! You are so funny and true to the core.
    You looked great in the first pic:flowerforyou: . but the second was AMAZING!!!!
    Be proud you have earned it!!!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Aww, peeps. I'm stuffed full of cold and January blues (honestly. The Monday of the year; believe) and your replies are making my day. Thank you so much xxx
  • pinkposca
    pinkposca Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous, well done.:smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!