Replies

• kerryoneill22
    kerryoneill22 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement :wink:
  • kerryoneill22
    Options
    I have been trying some of the recipes from the hairy bikers dieters book and they are good, what do you think of these? good or bad...
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can suggest is to start cutting out one thing at a time. Going cold turkey on ALL sugar is pretty much impossible. So, this week, cut out soda. Next, no baked goods (other than bread). Next, no bread. So on and so forth.

Now, I don't believe you need to cut out ALL sugar, you just need to 'man up' and start making the right food choices. I tell myself I'd prefer to eat something with some nutritional benefit than candy, cookies, or sweets. So, I will have a banana, even though it's really high in sugar. You aren't addicting to sugar - I honestly don't believe that can even happen. It's a way for diets to get money from people that believe that stuff. Changing the way you eat, the food you choose will make all the difference. Good luck!
  • kerryoneill22
    Options
    Good for you, some people find giving certain things up earlier than other things up, sugar is a really hard thing to do and like some people on here have said probably one of the hardest things to do !
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to cut out sugar? I'd just cut down, if I were you.

Also, I would recommend making gradual changes that you can stick to forever. Personally I can't honestly say that I'll be able to go the rest of my life without sugar, so I don't cut it out now. If you go from the standard american diet to an ultra restrictive healthy diet overnight you're likely to burn out.
  • terricakes
    terricakes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow remind me not to post on these boards any time soon! What a lot of rude unsupportive comments. Some people on this post have given great advice and this obviously does not appy to them. I wish you the best of luck on your attempts to reduce your sugar intake. The fact that you want to is the first step towards achieving your goal.
  • kerryoneill22
    Options
    things I have given up without a seconds thought and haven't missed..

Cigarettes after a 10 yr 30 a day habit
    Alcohol
    Several recreational drugs which turned into daily habits - cannabis and speed being the main.. not proud but its a fact.

Can I give up sugar this easy... not a chance! Seriously, it is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do :(

gonna have to call bull$hit on this one

sugar is not more addictive than nicotine or speed

you are deluding yourself into an excuse

well aside from it being plain rude you can call what you like! I KNOW what I found easiest to quit whether its physically more addictive or not!

Good for you, some people find giving certain things up earlier than other things up, sugar is a really hard thing to do and like some people on here have said probably one of the hardest things to do !
  • blueredbells
    blueredbells Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had to have 3 sugars per coffee each day. And I drank around 15 mugs a day. Cold turkey. I woke up to hot water with half a lemon in it. I drank this and water for 8 days. Once I detoxed my body of sugar and coffee, I then was able to bring coffee and sweeteners back in. I have not taken real sugar since. worth a try.
  • kerryoneill22
    Options
    Why are you trying to cut out sugar? I'd just cut down, if I were you.

Also, I would recommend making gradual changes that you can stick to forever. Personally I can't honestly say that I'll be able to go the rest of my life without sugar, so I don't cut it out now. If you go from the standard american diet to an ultra restrictive healthy diet overnight you're likely to burn out.

Thankyou. :smile:
  • kerryoneill22
    Options
    Wow remind me not to post on these boards any time soon! What a lot of rude unsupportive comments. Some people on this post have given great advice and this obviously does not appy to them. I wish you the best of luck on your attempts to reduce your sugar intake. The fact that you want to is the first step towards achieving your goal.

• Cocacoladdict
    Cocacoladdict Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think you know what is good and what isn't, sugarwise. Clearly fudge is on the naughty list (bloody love it tho!!) but fruit is good.

I am finding the only thing which really helps is water. Also toothpaste. I have taken to brushing my teeth when I feel snacky
  • Cocacoladdict
    Cocacoladdict Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    and thank you x
  • kerryoneill22
    Options
    Honestly I think you know what is good and what isn't, sugarwise. Clearly fudge is on the naughty list (bloody love it tho!!) but fruit is good.

I am finding the only thing which really helps is water. Also toothpaste. I have taken to brushing my teeth when I feel snacky

Yeah I want to try and make myself drink more water/squash because just water is horrible, but brushing my teeth could be a good one when I want a snack, because that happens mostly in the evenings, good thought!:wink:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Please read Forls over Knives. I do not use any sugar or sugar substitutes. I use only Pure organis Agave Nectar. Some people will tell you it is bad for you, but it truly is not. You are welcome to add me as a friend for support or any info i can rpvide.
  • kerryoneill22
    Options
    and thank you x

Your welcome!!
  • tobeslim618
    tobeslim618 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    gonna have to call bull$hit on this one

sugar is not more addictive than nicotine or speed

you are deluding yourself into an excuse

I will have to call YOU on this one...I was a smoker and put them down with no problem (after 4 tries of course) but sugar (granulate) is as addictive as nicotine. If you don't have the problem then you can't relate. But I feel for you for when I detoxed from sugar I had headaches, shakes, nauseousness, and cravings that brought me to my knees...yes the addiction is real and it took me a good two weeks to stop the pain and to be able to allow my husband to bring anything in the house without me crying and begging...

So yes it is one of the hardest things to quit (I still eat pasta -wheat- it doesn't make me crave and brown rice-potatoes, etc) but you have to figure out AFTER you detox, what you CAN eat that will not set off the craving and NO I don't eat sugar substitutes. Good luck and prayers for you.
  • TheBoyEnigma
    TheBoyEnigma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    sugar isn't necessarily bad.. I just avoid unnatural sugars. stuff like fruit is fine.
  • tobeslim618
    tobeslim618 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Cutting out whole food groups is NOT the way to go, even one that have sugar. Unless you plan on going the rest of your life without sugar, do not cut it out now. Find new and healthy ways to have it. This is about learning how to eat a balanced diet and not a "I will do this until I lose weight and then I will eat better after" it never works.

I know your not a fruit and veg eater but it is important that you change that. Its part of a healthy diet. By all means don't eat stuff you hate but you should be trying to find some that you do. Once a week buy a new veg and fruit and try it. Simple as that.

High sugary fruits that might help you ween yourself off the empty calorie type foods are grapes, oranges, pineapple and berries.
  • kerryoneill22
    Options
    Cutting out whole food groups is NOT the way to go, even one that have sugar. Unless you plan on going the rest of your life without sugar, do not cut it out now. Find new and healthy ways to have it. This is about learning how to eat a balanced diet and not a "I will do this until I lose weight and then I will eat better after" it never works.

I know your not a fruit and veg eater but it is important that you change that. Its part of a healthy diet. By all means don't eat stuff you hate but you should be trying to find some that you do. Once a week buy a new veg and fruit and try it. Simple as that.

High sugary fruits that might help you ween yourself off the empty calorie type foods are grapes, oranges, pineapple and berries.

Thankyou :wink: