Green smoothies - what's in yours?

Options
skankamaggot
skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
I just started making green smoothies for breakfast because sometimes I don't get enough fruits and veggies per day and a smoothie I can make quick and be out the door. I've been using about two cups of fresh spinach, frozen fruit (mixture of banana, strawberry, blueberries), Greek yogurt, about a cup of skim milk, and a bit of ground flax seed. The consistency is great, but I can still taste the spinach quite a bit. I'm wondering if I should try less spinach and more fruit. What's in your green smoothies? Any recipes you've tried and liked would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    A little bit of peanut butter might help.

I do almost the exact thing as you do! It tastes GREAT!
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I literally just made my first one today!! Kale, a banana, 2 tbsp of flaked coconut, 1 tsp of peanut butter, skim milk, vanilla pea protein powder, and ice. LOVED IT! I thought it was delicious and def. will be incorperating more green smoothies in my diet!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I make a few different ones but my go to is

Big handful baby spinach
    Frozen banana
    Protein powder
    Almond milk
    Pinch of stevia
    Ice

Then I either add PB2, Vanilla, Cocoa, Frozen berries, cinnamon, chai, Greek yoghurt with honey, some avocado, a date or two, chocolate chips, home made caramel sauce, frozen orange juice... There are so many options!
  • cydthemomma
    Options
    I think that pineapple kills the spinach taste. 1/2 pear, pineapple chunks, 1/2 apple, spinach, flax seeds, 4 walnuts...yumm! You can also add 1/2 orange or a clementine.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever try using frozen spinach?
  • skankamaggot
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everybody! I think I need to try adding a bit of peanut butter like a few of you said.

Re: cydthemomma - do you use fresh apple and pineapple? I use a magic bullet and I'm not sure if it could handle cutting up an apple but I'll try anything!
  • meshamoo
    meshamoo Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You might want to try to add ginger, a good friend turned me on to this. Ginger is a great taste and no calories.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    People.

soylent-green.jpg
  • ACatherineC
    Options
    Handful of spinach, a handful of kale, one banana and a squirt of lemon - all i taste is delicious banana!

Adding ginger is a great tip and so good for you!
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I need to start making smoothies again. Do you guys freeze the fruit, veg or is it all fresh all of the time?
  • Nikki_XC
    Options
    Mine are kale based, and are blended not juiced. My boyfriend makes them each morning (for two).

Base:

kale (1-2 cups, stems removed)
    banana
    blueberries
    unsweetened almond milk
    water

Additional Items we often add:
    - any other fruits on hand like pear, apple, kiwi, etc.
    - broccoli, spinach, carrots, celery

That's it. He makes them for purpose not pleasure. So some of the suggestions above are great for improving the flavor! :)
    I was adding plant-based protein powder (Garden of Life's RAW Vegan stuff) but I ran out of it a while ago. For now, I just drink them with my normal breakfasts.

Experiment and enjoy! Chunky smoothies aren't terrible either...think of the fibers! :D
  • skankamaggot
    Options
    You might want to try to add ginger, a good friend turned me on to this. Ginger is a great taste and no calories.

Fresh ginger? I only have dried/grated ginger but if I'm going for flavor it might be worth a try.
    I don't put any yogurt or milk in mine. Just spinach, half a banana and frozen mango and peach. I have other recipies I made my self..

Unfortunately my magic bullet will not break down the other stuff without the extra liquid! I wonder if it would taste OK with just adding water instead though.
    I need to start making smoothies again. Do you guys freeze the fruit, veg or is it all fresh all of the time?

I've been using fresh spinach and frozen fruits and I also freeze bits of greek yogurt to blend. I don't have any protein powder on hand currently so I've been using the yogurt for the protein.
  • ladanivita
    ladanivita Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love green smoothies! My boyfriend and I start our day out with one, at least on the work days.

Base is always the same and I make it in our vitamix for 6 cups total,
    -water
    -kale or spinach
    -banana or 2
    -frozen, no sugar added strawberries

Then a few of these, depending on what we have in the fridge and how much time I have,
    -carrots
    -broccoli
    -celery
    -dandelion greens
    -other kinds of fruit (pineapple, blueberries, blackberries, mango)
    -a date or two (depends on how much green vs. fruit, only added to sweeten really green drinks)
    -persian cucumbers
    -juice of a whole fresh lemon/orange
    -1/4 cup of dry oats
    -a tbsp of peanut butter

I looove them! They fill me up til breakfast and give me lots of energy.
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas! I'm hoping to get a vitamix soon and would love to try all of these!
  • kloa71
    kloa71 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi! I drink one almost every morning. I blend together 2 cups spinach, 1 banana, flax seed, 1 tbsp reduced fat peanut butter, cup of ice (if I forgot to freeze my banana ;) and 1 cup of unsweetened almond vanilla milk. Yummy!!
  • ladanivita
    ladanivita Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas! I'm hoping to get a vitamix soon and would love to try all of these!

I'm so in love with my Vitamix, I swear it changed my life! haha :)
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I usually use frozen spinach, some avocado, pink grapefruit, lemon juice, protein powder and flax seed and sometimes some greek yogurt or ginger or whatever else is in the fridge. Just try out and enjoy!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Frozen spinach works great! I love smoothies of pretty much any variety, but I love the flavor and texture that spinach adds.
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I also throw my vitamins I have a tough time swallowing in there... Luckily mine dont taste terrible and I can just drink them instead
  • SaShmy1022
    SaShmy1022 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been making mine with unsweetened chocolate almond milk, vanilla (soy and dairy free) protein powder, cooked oatmeal, half a banana and a handful of baby spinach or kale. I'm thinking I might start adding some almond butter and swapping the banana out for some frozen, no-sugar added berries. Great ideas here though!!