ketogenic diets and depression

Options
13»

Replies

• purplebaby1216
    purplebaby1216 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is the same for me! My doctor, after years of doing tests, studies, diet changes, fitness changes, etc has come to the conclusion that I have a metabolic "allergy" to processed carbs...veggies don't seem to bother me unless I go way over 100g in a day of them. Process carbs will have me retaining water like crazy as a buffer against the "allergen" and causes me to get depressed, fatigued, no energy etc...the first 2-3 days on a low carb lifestyle (about 45 g for me to lose weight and 60 g to maintain my weight) is kind of hard because I am still craving the carby sugary stuff...but after that, I can pass right on by cakes, ice cream, cookies, pizza etc without any issues at all! I even can go to a pizzeria with family and enjoy the wonderful full selection salad bars while they are eating pizza around me with no issues...but if I eat even one slice of pizza, my cravings for carbs/sugars go thru the roof and I end up over eating massively.

I do try to stick to healthier fats, but I love my cheese and cream (in my coffee), sour cream, etc and have no intentions of giving those up. I also like my bacon with my cheesy eggs. But I make sure I don't OVER DUE the bad fats and I pack in the veggies and moderate amounts of proteins.
  • purplebaby1216
    Options
    This is the same for me! My doctor, after years of doing tests, studies, diet changes, fitness changes, etc has come to the conclusion that I have a metabolic "allergy" to processed carbs...veggies don't seem to bother me unless I go way over 100g in a day of them. Process carbs will have me retaining water like crazy as a buffer against the "allergen" and causes me to get depressed, fatigued, no energy etc...the first 2-3 days on a low carb lifestyle (about 45 g for me to lose weight and 60 g to maintain my weight) is kind of hard because I am still craving the carby sugary stuff...but after that, I can pass right on by cakes, ice cream, cookies, pizza etc without any issues at all! I even can go to a pizzeria with family and enjoy the wonderful full selection salad bars while they are eating pizza around me with no issues...but if I eat even one slice of pizza, my cravings for carbs/sugars go thru the roof and I end up over eating massively.

I do try to stick to healthier fats, but I love my cheese and cream (in my coffee), sour cream, etc and have no intentions of giving those up. I also like my bacon with my cheesy eggs. But I make sure I don't OVER DUE the bad fats and I pack in the veggies and moderate amounts of proteins.

Darn, sorry, I meant to be quoting PaleoPath4Lyf post regarding how she feels on low carb diets.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Here is my n=1 peer reviewed study, conducted and studied by ME and ME alone.

I find that the High Fat / Low Carb ketogenic approach tremendously helps me with depression symptoms. I have lots of energy and actually feel like working out at the gym. I sleep better and I eat well.

Lots of fat, moderated protein and fill in the rest with vegetables.

The best thing to do is to try it for yourself. Become your own n=1 experiment and study yourself. Try it for 4-6 weeks and see if you have any improvements.

I do know that adequate fat intake is crucial for proper brain and other hormone functions.

This is most definitely not peer reviewed.

Also, while adequate fat intake is necessary for all sorts of biological functions, this doesn't necessarily mean an incredibly high fat diet (such as ketogenic diets) are better.

My peers are reviewing it so it most definitely a peer reviewed study.

I would take the word of personal experience over any of these so called organizations that are paid very heftily by major corporations and pharmaceutical companies for the study to come out the way the payer requests.

Tinfoil hat much?
  • purplebaby1216
    Options
    Not sure if it is totally ketogenic, but I am doing the Atkins diet, I love it! I have lots of energy.

This is the low carb version I follow too...but I use the New Atkins for a New You approach that has increased veggetables now that fiber can be subtracted from total carb count etc.
  • purplebaby1216
    Options
    Since I started eating Keto / low carb, not only do I have much more energy and don't get the after-lunch-sleepys, I have found that my mood is much better. When I do slip and eat carbs / sugar, I find that I get very depressed. Not depressed because I ate bad, but just depressed about everything.

That's enough to keep me off of sugar and bad carbs!

I hate after lunch sleepies!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    has anybody here read any interesting information on this topic? i have read alot about low carb and its effect on serotonin levels, but seems mostly negative and from typical websites that are not pro keto.

i am not trolling. i have a severe sugar addiction and depression and i want some real advice backed up with literature.

i read this interesting blog, but it's old and i am not bipolar. http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.ca/2010/08/ketogenic-diets-and-bipolar-disorder-2.html

can anyone help me?

i am also working with my doctor so i won't just be trying out anything without checking with him as well. so no naggy nellies!

You don't need to go to a ketogenic diet (60 grams or less of carbs per day) in order to get your appetite under control. A much safer diet is 100-200 grams of carbs per day (with the higher amount for heavier exercise days). You will still get appetite control (especially if you cut out sugar) but your won't have the nasty stuff that comes with a ketogenic diet (some people have gotten quite ill from staying at 20 grams of carbs per day for an extended length of time. Check out what I posted to your other thread---it might really help you.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Chocolate is good for depression. Avoid alcohol.

Alcohol is also a depressant---a no-no for anyone struggling with the blues.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I find that the High Fat / Low Carb ketogenic approach tremendously helps me with depression symptoms. I have lots of energy and actually feel like working out at the gym. I sleep better and I eat well.

The best thing to do is to try it for yourself. Become your own n=1 experiment and study yourself. Try it for 4-6 weeks and see if you have any improvements.

I do know that adequate fat intake is crucial for proper brain and other hormone functions.

thank you! what kind of fat do you primarily eat?

can i add you as a friend and peek at your diary?

If you live in N. America, there's an oil called "Udo"s Oil" that I highly recommend--pricey but worth it. I find I only need a tablespoon a day (even though the label says to take up to three a day).
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    This is all really interesting, thank you.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Your problem of bloating on processed carbs probably comes from the excessively high levels of sodium that most processed foods contain. They also contain a lot of sugar and MSG, which propels appetite (and MSG will cause bloat as well). The gliaden content in wheat (not gluten, GLIADEN) is also an addictive substance--that's why I don't eat any wheat in addition to avoiding sucrose. I only eat organic, 100% whole rye bread (sourdough-raised) because of the unique properties rye has (also they haven't messed with it like they have messed with wheat over the last couple of decades, because rye is not a very popular grain here). Rye has a unique fiber that expands in the G.I. tract and prevents hunger for a long time--it also steadies blood sugar levels so it doesn't give you the insulin spike that wheat does (which makes you SO hungry).
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I have had much the same experience although working out was rough at first.

I have no idea if my moods are better due to ketosis alone or to ketosis giving me the energy to go work out, which is a known mood enhancer.

However my depression is not considered severe. In fact, it's sub-clinical, the doctor refused to diagnose me with it and instead opted for social phobia or anxiety or whatever they're calling it this week.

From everything I've read severe depression is completely different from mild depression and may respond to different things. Anything you decide to do probably should be decided with the advice of an expert who is familiar with your symptoms.

Edit: I don't think I used the word sub clinical right. Oh well.

I have been diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar disorder and severe clinical depression. Before I started Atkins I attempted suicide several times and one of those times I slit my own throat.....yes, that severe.

I was then diagnosed with PCOS, hypo-thyroid and T2 diabetes. My Dr had me to start Atkins because she thought mess would make everything worse as that particular suicide attempt I was actually one an anti depressant .

When I switched to high fat, moderate protein and carbs primarily from vegetables I started feeling better, clearer thinking and had energy.

I then started going to the gym and that helped even more. When I got to the phase of Atkins where you add back in grains, legumes, starcher carbs such as potatoes my symptoms came back, which lead me to Paleo.

I have been suffering from major depression again before and during the holidays due to eating too much crappy food plus digestive issues.

No more splurging on sweets and grains for me.

You have just demonstrated the old axiom, "You are what you eat." If only people would understand what food they need to eat in order to feel good physically and mentally, we wouldn't have but a fraction of people on psychotropic medication. We do not have Prozac deficiencies in this country---we have nourishing food and exercise deficiencies.
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    has anybody here read any interesting information on this topic? i have read alot about low carb and its effect on serotonin levels, but seems mostly negative and from typical websites that are not pro keto.

i am not trolling. i have a severe sugar addiction and depression and i want some real advice backed up with literature.

i read this interesting blog, but it's old and i am not bipolar. http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.ca/2010/08/ketogenic-diets-and-bipolar-disorder-2.html

can anyone help me?

i am also working with my doctor so i won't just be trying out anything without checking with him as well. so no naggy nellies!

You don't need to go to a ketogenic diet (60 grams or less of carbs per day) in order to get your appetite under control. A much safer diet is 100-200 grams of carbs per day (with the higher amount for heavier exercise days). You will still get appetite control (especially if you cut out sugar) but your won't have the nasty stuff that comes with a ketogenic diet (some people have gotten quite ill from staying at 20 grams of carbs per day for an extended length of time. Check out what I posted to your other thread---it might really help you.

thanks, i will check it out. :-)
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There's also lots of ways to boost your seratonin naturally: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/serotonin-boosters/
    There's a note in there on why you might struggle if you're eating *too* low carb.

If you're not a fish eater, you should take a big dose of Omega 3 and watch your Omega 6 intake.
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Had to dig this one out after reading about it. Not entirely related, but definitely interesting.

Relating to Schizophrenia and Gluten:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2652467/

"Schizophrenia, gluten, and low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diets: a case report and review of the literature

We report the unexpected resolution of longstanding schizophrenic symptoms after starting a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet. After a review of the literature, possible reasons for this include the metabolic consequences from the elimination of gluten from the diet, and the modulation of the disease of schizophrenia at the cellular level."
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Had to dig this one out after reading about it. Not entirely related, but definitely interesting.

Relating to Schizophrenia and Gluten:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2652467/

"Schizophrenia, gluten, and low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diets: a case report and review of the literature

We report the unexpected resolution of longstanding schizophrenic symptoms after starting a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet. After a review of the literature, possible reasons for this include the metabolic consequences from the elimination of gluten from the diet, and the modulation of the disease of schizophrenia at the cellular level."

Thank you for that, I'll pass it on to my husband, as his brother has paranoid schizophrenia. No idea if it'll work for him, but it's worth a try.
  • JamesHardiman
    Options
    Here's the thing about ketogenic diet and depression ... it's FABULOUS. Depression will totally go .... but ... and there's quite a big but

Your body is a dual-fuel mechanism. My friend John has a dual-fuel car: it will run on gas or propane: he just flicks a switch when he's running low on propane and it runs on gas.

We are the same. We can run on glucose or we can run on ketones. We have been humans for the last 2,000,000 years and we've only really been running on glucose for 10,000 years at most. Many of us have only been running on glucose for the last 50-60 years. And our brains run MUCH better on ketones. Back in 2009 I was in ketosis for most of the year (having been depressed for most of my adult life) and my wife noticed that I hadn't been depressed for ages.

But here comes the "but". The switch inside us happens automatically when our bodies run out of carbs (sugar). But it can take a while sometimes. So on Monday you quit eating all carbs and go on a strict ketogenic diet (and strict is important -- as someone I was reading the other day said, if you make up yur mind to go vacation in Hawaii, you really need to go the whole way ... you won't get any benefit from going half way!)

So your body quite quickly runs out of carbs. It has been used, all your life, to having a regular supply of carbs, so it starts flashing the low-fuel warning light. You start seeing pictures of cookies and candy everywhere. You drive past a gas station and you don't notice the price of gas you only notice that they also sell subs and have an offer on Coke.

But you have decided that this is IT. You're going to go for it. No carbs. So your brain runs out of fuel. You can't think straight, you get headaches (and these are headaches that Tylenol won't touch!) and you get the mother and father of all depressions.

Here's what you do. It's the same as if you were an alcoholic or a crack head going cold turkey. Get someone tough who loves you to send you to bed and make sure that you stay there. Get them to bring you eight 8-oz glasses of water a day. Eat half an avocado. Get them to fry you some bacon (but get them to check that it is NO SUGAR ADDED and isn't honey roast).

It will probably pass in 24-48 hours. Your body will give in and switch into ketosis and start producing ketones. Your headache will clear, your depression will go and you'll start to feel amazing. You'll probably decide you could do anything and you want to go for a five-mile run. DON'T DO IT. Go for a 20-minute walk. Tomorrow make it 25 minutes. Build up to an hour over two weeks.

And stick to it. If you come back OUT of ketosis, then next time you try, your body won't believe you and it will take longer to switch, and the head-achy depressed phase will take longer.

Get some Ketostix at the pharmacy and test first thing, mid-day and before you go to bed. If you are not firmly in ketosis, reduce the carbs, reduce the protein (your body can cheat by turning protein into carbs through a process called gluconeogenesis). And eat more fat. Best of all, get some MCT oil and use it for everything, except what you use coconut oil for.

Best of luck ...

James
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    We are the same. We can run on glucose or we can run on ketones. We have been humans for the last 2,000,000 years and we've only really been running on glucose for 10,000 years at most. Many of us have only been running on glucose for the last 50-60 years. And our brains run MUCH better on ketones.

Can you substantiate any of the above? It sounds an awful like it has no basis in reality and is made up by a fanatical low carber
  • catalin_mn
    Options
    After the first few days I always feel great from every point of view on a Keto diet, specially because in my case it stabilises my mood. I believe it works great for depression and anxiety! I am a big fan of this diet(even if I avoid using this word too often)
    Catalin M
    http://bigcathealthcoach.com/
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Bit of an old thread, but interesting to find. Thanks!