Running?

Options
2»

Replies

• Agatha66
    Agatha66 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have just started couch to 5k an on week 4 but have been going for 6 weeks, taking it easy with each stage. I've just been out and feel great. It's definitely an excellent way to Lear to run.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    congratulations on all you've accomplished thus far! since i've never tried wii running i can't comment on it but based on your time i'm gonna go out on a limb and say whether you run on a treadmill or outside it's going to be very different and very slow from whatever the wii is telling you. don't get discouraged though! even if it takes you 15 minutes to run 1 mile - you ran a mile and that's awesome!!! since you're starting out my suggestion is do whatever works best and run in good sneakers (if good to you is new balance or a pair of $150 sneakers then run in them). start slow and take your time. you'll never know if you like it if you don't get out and try it. :) if you decide running is for you the i suggest getting measured for good sneakers.

if you do go out today wear layers but don't bundle up so much that you're toasty warm before walking out the door.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Couch to 5K to anyone in a heartbeat if they're interested in becoming a runner. A more realistic starting goal for running slow and steady is anywhere from 11 to 14 minutes per mile. Expect 2 miles of real running to take you 20-30 minutes. The couch to 5K program helps you alternate walking and running for a half an hour to gradually phase out the walking, phasingin more running, and achieve 30 minutes of continuous running at the end of the program. Don't pay attention to the miles as much as I would the minutes! Your pace will be different than everyone else's and that is what makes running such a personal sport :) I did the couch to 5k program to begin running in May 2011, and I became addicted to running 5Ks, and ran my first half marathon this past August. Be careful, remember to take your rest days (I had knee issues and taking the rest days not only improved my running, but warded away overuse issues), stay consistent, and GOOD LUCK! :wink:

^this

10 minute miles are pretty tough for a newbie. This is a more realistic response.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Couch to 5K to anyone in a heartbeat if they're interested in becoming a runner. A more realistic starting goal for running slow and steady is anywhere from 11 to 14 minutes per mile. Expect 2 miles of real running to take you 20-30 minutes. The couch to 5K program helps you alternate walking and running for a half an hour to gradually phase out the walking, phasingin more running, and achieve 30 minutes of continuous running at the end of the program. Don't pay attention to the miles as much as I would the minutes! Your pace will be different than everyone else's and that is what makes running such a personal sport :) I did the couch to 5k program to begin running in May 2011, and I became addicted to running 5Ks, and ran my first half marathon this past August. Be careful, remember to take your rest days (I had knee issues and taking the rest days not only improved my running, but warded away overuse issues), stay consistent, and GOOD LUCK! :wink:

Agree with this.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    step one start running

there is no step two
    "If you run you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty year. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." -John Bingham
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I thought it was over estimating miles ran when it said I ran 2.25 miles this morning in 10 minutes on the Wii! I don't usually eat my calories burned off here anyways but I would like an acurate amount of calories burned to report. I guess it would be closer to maybe 60 calories burned for running to the Wii free run for 10 minutes?
    I did download an app off my phone called RunDouble that is like a couch to 5K program. Gotta figure out how to use it now.
    I will look into school tracks to run at also, that is a good suggestion.
    Thanks again for all the tips.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    2 miles in 10 minutes, then 2.25 in 10 minutes today? Don't want to burst your bubble, but if you can run that super fast, and increase that much in a few days, something doesn't sound right. If that is right, you should probably start training for the Olympics. :wink: When You are ready to try it outside, let me know, I have a 10 week program that I use with my personal training clients....and is much simpler to than couch to 5k program, but it's similar, and just as effective.