I Want Abs!

Options
It shouldn't have been too hard to get them, my body fat percentage is 17%. I do strength training and sit-ups but still there's nothing but a very faint outline. So maybe any of you has some great ideas for good ab workouts that helped you?

Replies

• HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting. Yes...I'm serious. As soon as I started that, my abs ripped fairly quickly (see my profile pics).
    I do "The New Rules of Lifting for Women".

GL!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Could you be more specific? I life weights already, but I need some routines. :) Thanks! You're looking awesome by the way.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    compound exercises(deadlifts, squats, etc) will help with the core.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your exercise diary, but it only has the vague "strength training" input into the cardio section - your actual exercises, reps, sets, and weights used aren't listed in the strength training section.

So... What, exactly, are you calling "strength training?" With that info, we may be able to help more.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    Could you be more specific? I life weights already, but I need some routines. :) Thanks! You're looking awesome by the way.

Go out and buy the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". Follow it religiously. It will get you where you want to be....promise!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    compound exercises(deadlifts, squats, etc) will help with the core.

This
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Abs are really difficult. You gotta shed the fat. It's the only way. Even a little bit of fat will cover.
  • brevislux
    Options
    Abs are really difficult. You gotta she'd the fat. It's the only way. Even a little bit of fat will cover.
    I have 17% body fat. I'm not going to drop it lower. It's very low for a woman.

Anyway thanks, I doubt I'd get the book but I'll try the deadlifts. :)
  • joeq722
    joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you know the old saying: "abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym".......
    I've always heard (for guys at least) that abs REALLY start showing around 8% bodyfat.

Thats pretty low to maintain. And not sure what the number would be for women.
    But hey, if you have a faint outline, you have more than I do!
    More than alot of people I bet.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    If you have decently built abs they should "show" at 12-14%
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    You need you body fat percentage around 4-8%. I know thats low but that is the way it is. I am at 17% myself right now. I am striving to get to 12%...
  • brevislux
    Options
    Body composition is different for men and women.

Description Women Men
    Essential fat 10–13% 2–5%
    Athletes 14–20% 6–13%
    Fitness 21–24% 14–17%
    Average 25–31% 18–24%
    Obese 32%+ 25%+
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    You guys are giving percentages for males. They are far too low for a female. 17% you * might* see them but it depends on your fat distribution. You may have to go lower. Say 15 percent. It varies from person to person.

Compound exercises are the best for definition of all muscles in my experiences. Squat, deadlift, bench, repeat
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Who ever said being able to see your abs is either natural or even healthy?

A lot of yoga people can suck their abs right in tight to the back wall of their spines but to look at there are no abs to see - you may see the oblique lines. Clerly their abs are strong to be able to suck in like that, but there is no six pack.

I doubt many people can see a clear six pack off-season as it were and cut fat back if they are working toward a coompetition or a beach-poser holiday maybe.

I can't talk - I am at fat 23%! but I know my core is strong - that's all that matters where abs are concerned.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    Just an FYI-- that book is mainly variations of deadlifts and squats. It will help you reshape your body to kill that layer of fat currently covering your abs.

And also-- I am 18.7% body fat with abs.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    eating better will give you abs, not excercises.

that being said, if you want stronger abs, squat and deadlift
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I am 28% body fat and I have a little 4-pack...which is not truly all abs, the top 2 are rib muscles...I do oriental dance and yoga...I think those 2 are the major core builders for me...I would love to be 17%, I'm sure that would look so much nicer!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    DEADLIFT.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised nobody has posted that pic (that was only a tiny bit funny the very first time it was posted) with the fake ab maker thingy.