I Want Abs!

Options

Replies

• zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Could you be more specific? I life weights already, but I need some routines. :) Thanks! You're looking awesome by the way.

Anything that revolves around Squats and Deadlifts. Starting Strengh and SL5x5 are the defacto standard beginner's programs.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't have been too hard to get them, my body fat percentage is 17%. I do strength training and sit-ups but still there's nothing but a very faint outline. So maybe any of you has some great ideas for good ab workouts that helped you?

if you don't have even a little visible abs at 17% body fat, you are most likely measuring your BF incorrectly.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    From what I have heard Abs are made in the kitchen. You have to make sure you are eating foods low in fat and high in proteins and good carbs. Also doing a fair amount of cardio helps as well. Unfortunately I am someone proof and someone not proof of it. During my cutting phase I did a lot of cardio and I was able to see some abs and some V shape starting out. Now that I am bulking I lost it as I have been eating more and doing less cardio. I still do abs so that my core gets stronger but I am sure that when I get back to the cutting phase I will see it again.
  • Call me crazy (I'm sure some of you will), but for abs, I like.....ab exercises. And a calorie deficit. Pretty simple combo IMO.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    compound exercises(deadlifts, squats, etc) will help with the core.

Yep this.

Also things like overhead Barbell presses, overhead barbell lunges, heck overhead barbell anything is great for your core

Also things like kneeling pallof press isoholds, ab wheels, wide stance cable rotations.

Abs will not show without proper diet and at 17% bodyfat your abs should be showing . . .
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy (I'm sure some of you will), but for abs, I like.....ab exercises. And a calorie deficit. Pretty simple combo IMO.
    That's deep, bro.
  • brevislux
    Options
    compound exercises(deadlifts, squats, etc) will help with the core.

Yep this.

Also things like overhead Barbell presses, overhead barbell lunges, heck overhead barbell anything is great for your core

Also things like kneeling pallof press isoholds, ab wheels, wide stance cable rotations.

Abs will not show without proper diet and at 17% bodyfat your abs should be showing . . .
    Thanks a bunch! :)
  • Call me crazy (I'm sure some of you will), but for abs, I like.....ab exercises. And a calorie deficit. Pretty simple combo IMO.
    That's deep, bro.

Ummmm, thanks. I'm a girl, and I've got 11 years and 2 kids on you...I was just giving my opinion. If you don't want it, that's your choice. Best wishes with whatever you do.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • michinoel
    Options
    Brevislux!!
    You don't have to weight lift in order to get abs...actually, that's the hardest way to do it!
    I suggest PILATES.
    Pilates is MEANT to tone your core, that's the whole point of every exercise within it. It's also very soothing and will help with your flexibility, balance, and to tone your legs/butt as well. :D I was taking a Pilates class to help my dance and it was the best decision I ever made! Even though I don't dance anymore, I still use Pilates to help me feel good.
    Please take this into consideration!
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    If you have decently built abs they should "show" at 12-14%

Mine are showing and I'm at just under 18% (see my pictures)

Got to change up the ab work outs. Same ole same ole will produce nothing. Also - my abs "pop' after about 2-3 days of really clean eating. Lower carbs, higher protein nad low sodium.

Mason Twists
    Bicylcles
    Scissors
    In & Outs
    Pulse Ups
    Floor Sweepers
    Crunches
    90 Degree crunches
    Weighted sit ups

Kettles Bells
    Squats
    Lunges
    Planks

Mix it up!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Brevislux!!
    You don't have to weight lift in order to get abs...actually, that's the hardest way to do it!
    I suggest PILATES.
    Pilates is MEANT to tone your core, that's the whole point of every exercise within it. It's also very soothing and will help with your flexibility, balance, and to tone your legs/butt as well. :D I was taking a Pilates class to help my dance and it was the best decision I ever made! Even though I don't dance anymore, I still use Pilates to help me feel good.

strong first post
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Honestly, not everyone can have defined abs. Jillian Michaels is crazy in shape and she can't achieve a six-pack.
  • calisunrise
    Options
    watch your sodium intake and any foods that retain water.
    also, keep in mind that not everyone can develop a six pack. some women have visible abs at 21 BF%, some don't at 17BF%. it all depends on your body.
  • brevislux
    Options
    So many new ideas. Thanks people!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Your ab muscles probably aren't big enough to show through even with as low of fat as you are. I'd suggest weight lifting (StrongLifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules) and even trying to gain some muscles (and fat) by eating at a calorie SURPLUS. They when you cut again (if you are careful to preserve muscle) the abs will show better.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Exactly! Good for you! Women with very defined abs are likely not carrying enough body fat and may result in some health problems down the road.
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    abs.jpg
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Brevislux!!
    I suggest PILATES.

Respect!

I practise yoga to the same ends, but it takes a brave soul to put this out there as an alternative approach.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Easy.

tumblr_mbmfbm7VWj1rqdszmo1_500.jpg