Calorie Formula - MFP's # Doesn't make sense

Options
So In order for me to maintain my weight my caloric intake should be 3124 a day. (U.S. D.O.H. formula: see below) I have seen some folks in the forums talk about taking this caloric intake and dropping it by 500 or by 20%. A 20% reduction brings it down to 2603 but MFP gives me a goal of 1870 at these settings:

Weight: 292
Height: 5'11"
Sedentary

-2lbs/wk

-100lb goal

I have started doing heavy cardio and yoga and I am freaking hungry all of the time even after a big meal or snacks or whatever. I have gone over my caloric intake goal for MFP twice in the last week but still way below the USDOH formula calculations. I have seen minimal weight loss but I am miserably hungry all day and I don't want to splurge anymore. I'd like to get it under control. Need advice on getting the hunger under control and someone to explain the huge discrepancy I am seeing in the caloric intake calculations. I am confused at the numbers and am worried that i am doing more harm than good.

US DOH formula:
BMR = 66 + (6.3 x weight in pounds) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

Sedentary Caloric Intake = BMR * 20%

Replies

• kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure it's because you set your calorie goal using "Lose 2lb per week." Try "Lost 1lb per week" and it should be closer to what your body is craving / the number you want to see.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    Deal with the hunger. Your body will get used to it.

At your height, 1870 is enough to keep your body healthy, and with your lifestyle being sedentary, you don't need to intake 2603 calories.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    1870 seems quite low for your height, weight, and exercise activity level. I eat 1800 per day, but I'm female and shorter than you (and heavier by only 20 pounds). I think you definitely need to be over 2000, at least. Men have higher caloric needs than females.

There are some TDEE experts around these parts, so I'll leave this up to them, but yes - I think MFP has you eating too little. That, and/or you need to eat your exercise calories back if you aren't already.
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

That would mean a slowing metabolism, which is seriously counterproductive.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

NO, just no. :angry:

Calling Side Steel!!!!
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It's because you chose 2 pounds a week. Change it to 1 lb a week. That's -500 calories.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options

A better answer would be HOW to deal with the hunger. Perhaps OP isn't getting enough protein and fiber? Or maybe he needs to drink more water?

Responses like this are not helpful; they're solely judgemental and holier-than-thou. Being hungry all the time is one of the main reasons people give up, so it's better to help them work through it than to tell them to "deal". I'm all for tough love, but that was just stupid.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    So set your goal at 1lb a week, and test that for 6wks and re-evaluate.

Or, set your goal manually and test/re-evaluate.

All the numbers are guesses - some formulas work for some people better than others. Test and see what works for you.

Are you eating back your exercise calories?

If you are set to sedentary then you are meant to eat back your exercise calories as the deficit is already built in by MFP.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    If you're doing all that cardio... then you're not sedentary, are you?

Maybe consider changing your activity level since you're not truly sedentary.
  • SusieMoon17
    Options
    I had the same problem until i started taking in more fluids and sticking to 3 meals per day with minimal snacking. Took a few days to get used to it but now drinking 2ltr water during the day and the hunger stays off. Also going to bed earlier which eliminates late night hunger. Hope this helps.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Dropping by 500 will only get you a 1 pound per week loss. (500 X 7 = 3500 = 1 lb). Dropping by 1000 will get you a 2 pound loss.

Also check your settings. Do you have gender, age, activity level, etc. accurately selected? One other thing, did you put a higher activity level in the other calculations (outside of MFP)? That may result in a difference. But regardless, you can probably eat about 2000 + exercise calories (purposeful, fitness-related activities) and be fine. I base this only on the minimal information you have provided in this thread, by the way.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I would set it at the higher amount for now, and see how that goes.

I think you have to play around with the figures until you get to what works for you.
  • aadutton
    Options
    perhaps try something in between...like 2100 calories...and see how you feel/whether you lose? (that's based on nothing mathematical, i just think 2600 is probably a little high but understand you're feeling 1800 is too low). also make sure you're eating back at least some of your exercise calories.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You are using a different formula than MFP is when calculating your TDEE. So obviously the numbers will not match up as you'd expect.

So, your issue is you EXPECTED MFP to use the same formula you used outside of the website. Which, it didn't, and thus, a different number than you expected.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    1870 seems quite low for your height, weight, and exercise activity level. I eat 1800 per day, but I'm female and shorter than you (and heavier by only 20 pounds). I think you definitely need to be over 2000, at least. Men have higher caloric needs than females.

There are some TDEE experts around these parts, so I'll leave this up to them, but yes - I think MFP has you eating too little. That, and/or you need to eat your exercise calories back if you aren't already.

First, this. I'm a bit smaller then you and eat 1800 calories. If your TDEE is 3200, you should be eating at least 2200 and that's before you do any exercise.

Second, here's a great article:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/9-ways-to-deal-with-hunger-on-a-diet.html
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    1870 per day+600 calories exercise=eat the entire 2470.

Ideally, I eat 1800 a day plus some exercise calories... and I'm only 5'3''.

I concur that changing your goal to lose 1# a week would be more reasonable. Slow and steady wins.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Nevermind misread your post.. but....

try using this http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ calculator... and since you are more active.. I would consider changing from sedentary to at least slightly active. There are even some calculators online that you can use to more closely approximate your calorie burn in activity throughout the week, like this one: http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator

As PP suggested, WHAT you're eating is part of the issue as well- I eat a lot of protein and a moderate amount of fat which keeps me full, energized, and is letting my workouts progress in spite of eating at a deficit. :-)

Good luck!!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    If you're doing all that cardio... then you're not sedentary, are you?

Maybe consider changing your activity level since you're not truly sedentary.

In setting up MFP, activity level isn't supposed to include exercise.

which is, in turn, why the OP's number on MFP is different from the one derived using TDEE.

OP, you either need to work from your TDEE, or from MFP and then eat back cals. Either way, you'll end up with roughly the same end number.

Good luck.
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    As far as the hunger goes, I think you probably need to re-evaluate what you're eating. Chik Fil A, Hooters wings, sodas, and sweet tea aren't exactly going to keep you from feeling hungry.