Calorie Formula - MFP's # Doesn't make sense

Options

Replies

• MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary and see that Cokes are part of your diet. Those give you 140 cals of pure carbs when instead you could be eating something to help fill you up and curb your hunger. I saw several food choices (bacon, chocolate, cranberry juice) which could've have been substituted for lower cal alternatives.

My impression is that MFP targets are fine. If you eat higher quality foods you'll be able to eat more of it.

I also agree with statement that your body will get used to it. Push through the hunger, it'll take a few more days.

Good luck and hope this helps!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Read this thread and go through Dan's calculations:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Running your numbers, it shows your BMR at 2569. Plug in your activity level (if you're doing heavy cardio and yoga you're not sedentary) and that will give your TDEE. Using "Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 times/week), your TDEE would be around 3982. Take a 20% cut from that and that leaves you with 3185 calories per day (3982 x 0.8). Eat at that level and don't eat back exercise calories.
  • VeloRat1969
    VeloRat1969 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think that all of these formulas/calculators, etc have a very high margin of error. If I do the formula, I get a BMR of 1,297. Had it tested in a lab last year - 1049. I am, apparently, more efficient than most of the population. :-)
  • WorkoutWarrior76
    WorkoutWarrior76 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    So In order for me to maintain my weight my caloric intake should be 3124 a day. (U.S. D.O.H. formula: see below) I have seen some folks in the forums talk about taking this caloric intake and dropping it by 500 or by 20%. A 20% reduction brings it down to 2603 but MFP gives me a goal of 1870 at these settings:

Weight: 292
    Height: 5'11"
    Sedentary

-2lbs/wk

-100lb goal

I have started doing heavy cardio and yoga and I am freaking hungry all of the time even after a big meal or snacks or whatever. I have gone over my caloric intake goal for MFP twice in the last week but still way below the USDOH formula calculations. I have seen minimal weight loss but I am miserably hungry all day and I don't want to splurge anymore. I'd like to get it under control. Need advice on getting the hunger under control and someone to explain the huge discrepancy I am seeing in the caloric intake calculations. I am confused at the numbers and am worried that i am doing more harm than good.

US DOH formula:
    BMR = 66 + (6.3 x weight in pounds) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

Sedentary Caloric Intake = BMR * 20%

Why does everyone have to throw math at me? I am thinking of takign up booze again now!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    In my experience, when I start a new workout routine or do intense cardio, I often find myself much hungrier than I otherwise would be. Not necessarily the same day, but usually the day after; I think it's the body's way of trying to maintain itself, but I'll let others answer that aspect better.

Also, looking at your diary, maybe try incorporating more high fiber, nutrient dense foods? You seem to drink a good portion of your calories, which, when you're trying to lose weight, is a wasteful way to spend them. Additionally, you have many days where you're under your calorie allotment- so, if you have the calories to spare, eat!!! Just be wise in your choices. As I said, nutrient dense, high fiber foods help you feel full while taking in fewer calories…

Ultimately, it's something you'll have to tweak and figure out what works for you. Good luck!!!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary and see that Cokes are part of your diet. Those give you 140 cals

Per 12 ounces (a small can)

Sorry, i'd rather eat.
  • justinhamlin
    Options
    The question here is what a few people have hit on already, its not to adjust your caloric intake level, however, the question is the makeup of that calorie intake.

What are you eating?
    What does your diet on a daily basis look like?
    How much water are you drinking per day?
    How much exercise are you doing?
    How are you measuring the calories burned from exercise?

To give you an example, I am 32 years old, 6'2" but weigh around 158lbs. MFP calculates my intake at around 1300 per day. Add to that the 600-1000 calories I burn each day from exercise, that brings my total to around 1900-2300 calories. Because I am onto a very healthy diet, 1300-1400 calories per day is typically plenty of food for me.

For your size/weight, 1800 calories target plus the additional calories earned from exercise, should put you around 2200-2400 per day, which should suffice, if you are eating healthy, protein rich foods.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Deal with the hunger. Your body will get used to it.

That would mean a slowing metabolism, which is seriously counterproductive.

No it wont.

There is the HUGE MYTH on MFP that a large deficit slows the metabolism. Research does not support this. The slowing in the metabolism is only significant at VERY low levels. Not 1800 Calories for a man.

Personally, I'd eat around 2200 if I was him. And yes, suck it up and deal with the hunger. Or making adjustments to your life to get your hormonal response optimal. Hunger is hormonal.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Why does everyone have to throw math at me? I am thinking of takign up booze again now!

When did you ever give it up?

:wink:
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    1870 seems quite low for your height, weight, and exercise activity level. I eat 1800 per day, but I'm female and shorter than you (and heavier by only 20 pounds). I think you definitely need to be over 2000, at least. Men have higher caloric needs than females.

There are some TDEE experts around these parts, so I'll leave this up to them, but yes - I think MFP has you eating too little. That, and/or you need to eat your exercise calories back if you aren't already.

First, this. I'm a bit smaller then you and eat 1800 calories. If your TDEE is 3200, you should be eating at least 2200 and that's before you do any exercise.

Second, here's a great article:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/9-ways-to-deal-with-hunger-on-a-diet.html

TDEE includes exercise. Unless he calculated it without exercise costs, in which case it's not TDEE
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    :smile:
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    1870 seems quite low for your height, weight, and exercise activity level. I eat 1800 per day, but I'm female and shorter than you (and heavier by only 20 pounds). I think you definitely need to be over 2000, at least. Men have higher caloric needs than females.

There are some TDEE experts around these parts, so I'll leave this up to them, but yes - I think MFP has you eating too little. That, and/or you need to eat your exercise calories back if you aren't already.

First, this. I'm a bit smaller then you and eat 1800 calories. If your TDEE is 3200, you should be eating at least 2200 and that's before you do any exercise.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/9-ways-to-deal-with-hunger-on-a-diet.html

TDEE includes exercise. Unless he calculated it without exercise costs, in which case it's not TDEE

Yes, but he stated that he used sedentary as his activity level. With the exercise he does, it wouldn't be considered sedentary.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have two ideas to answer your question - I hope this helps.

1) As other people said, you can drop your weight loss goal to 1.5 pounds a week so you can eat more.

2) I looked through your food diary since you've been on mfp, and there are a number of things you can change there to make yourself feel full. I would significantly decrease your coke/cola, processed food, fast food and junk food. You can still have those things (this is supposed to be a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet) but I would limit them for now as you are trying to create new habits for yourself. Try eating these items once a week for example instead of daily. Cola, like alcohol, is empty calories with no nutritional value. Replace these items with lean protein, lots and lots of green leaves and any type of fruit and veggie, and whole grains. When you feel hungry, drink a glass of water first - water is filling and sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger. If you don't like water, flavor it. You are also eating too little protein. Adding more protein will make you feel much less hungry - chicken breasts, canned tuna, and other seafood. As to veggies - 2 cups of lettuce has like 20 calories or something and will help you feel full, versus a small fast food burger has like 500 calories or something and you are still hungry afterwards. More fiber (found in fruit, veggies and beans) makes you feel more full. Addiction to salt or sugar also makes people actually feel more hungry after they eat a salty or sugary food. In summary, you want to increase your nutrient density per calories and you will quickly get control. Feel free to take a look at my food diary for ideas.
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    In looking at your figures, it appears that the 2603 is before the 20% reduction. That would take you to 2082 - closer to the MFP figures. Unless of course I am not doing it right - good possibility!
  • aadutton
    Options

Yes, but he stated that he used sedentary as his activity level. With the exercise he does, it wouldn't be considered sedentary.

I could be misunderstanding but I think you're combining or interchanging MFP's settings and TDEE which are totally different. On MFP I think he's sedentary because on MFP you are supposed to eat back exercise calories so you set your setting to exclude exercise--only include your activity level outside of whatever exercise you would "log" in MFP--like do you have a physically demanding job, chase kids around, etc. TDEE takes into account your average activity level including excercise which means overall it will allow you to eat more but you DON'T eat back exercise calories. I'm sure someone can and will correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it...probably at a very basic level.
  • MarcoRod
    Options
    Ignore ALL the math advice and focus on the NUTRITIONAL advice. Exercise and eat RIGHT. You will lose weight. Period.

So In order for me to maintain my weight my caloric intake should be 3124 a day. (U.S. D.O.H. formula: see below) I have seen some folks in the forums talk about taking this caloric intake and dropping it by 500 or by 20%. A 20% reduction brings it down to 2603 but MFP gives me a goal of 1870 at these settings:

Weight: 292
    Height: 5'11"
    Sedentary

-2lbs/wk

-100lb goal

I have started doing heavy cardio and yoga and I am freaking hungry all of the time even after a big meal or snacks or whatever. I have gone over my caloric intake goal for MFP twice in the last week but still way below the USDOH formula calculations. I have seen minimal weight loss but I am miserably hungry all day and I don't want to splurge anymore. I'd like to get it under control. Need advice on getting the hunger under control and someone to explain the huge discrepancy I am seeing in the caloric intake calculations. I am confused at the numbers and am worried that i am doing more harm than good.

US DOH formula:
    BMR = 66 + (6.3 x weight in pounds) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

Sedentary Caloric Intake = BMR * 20%

• AllTehBeers
    Options

I could be misunderstanding but I think you're combining or interchanging MFP's settings and TDEE which are totally different. On MFP I think he's sedentary because on MFP you are supposed to eat back exercise calories so you set your setting to exclude exercise--only include your activity level outside of whatever exercise you would "log" in MFP--like do you have a physically demanding job, chase kids around, etc. TDEE takes into account your average activity level including excercise which means overall it will allow you to eat more but you DON'T eat back exercise calories. I'm sure someone can and will correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it...probably at a very basic level.

Ah I think you're right. At 1800 + exercise would probably put him about 2600 if he does the hardcore cardio he mentioned. That is the same as TDEE - the 20%

Thanks for the corrections.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you're doing all that cardio... then you're not sedentary, are you?

Maybe consider changing your activity level since you're not truly sedentary.

This...or if you leave it at sedentary you should be logging your exercise calories as accurately as possible and eating most of those back. I personally find it easiest to leave my settings at sedentary and just log my exercise burn...not 100% accurate but less guessing than it would be otherwise...plus if I miss exercise sessions or whatever I don't have to change my goal...my net goal remains my net goal.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Ignore ALL the math advice and focus on the NUTRITIONAL advice. Exercise and eat RIGHT. You will lose weight. Period.

Which way is the right way?
  • MarcoRod
    Options
    I posted some comments, as did others. My point is that the math can be overwhelming but the common sense suggestions about eliminating sugary drinks and processed foods are easier to understand and follow.

Which way is the right way?