thoughts on subway?

Options
13»

Replies

• hushsoundislove
    hushsoundislove Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    We like Subway as an occasional treat but the sodium is really bad! I am not even a person who monitors my sodium, and I have no fear of grabbing the salt shaker to season my food, however; when I eat at Subway I am always insanely thirsty for hours and I drink water until I feel sick. It is still better that the other choices we have but the salt does effect me so we rarely go there. I also don't care for the smell of the place since they started making that certain cheese bread a few years back. My clothes will smell like the place for hours after we leave.

hahaha try working there and going home with that smell on you
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Is it good for you? Well, not exactly. But, here is the question that is probably more important. Is it a good option when you have forgotten your lunch, find yourself pinched on time or looking at the Subway sign and another fast food sign? Probably. The sodium count is staggering. Not to mention a lot of carbs. But, grab your lite sandwich, get the apples if you can and opt for a bottle of water vs the soda.

I have never been a big fan of Subway, but when the Mrs wanted to go out for lunch over the holiday break, it was a decent bet for me. I got a turkey on wheat, lettuce, onion, cucumbers, spicy mustard, black pepper and oregano with a bag of baked chips and an iced tea. You can certainly do much worse than that.
  • seresha
    seresha Posts: 65
    Options
    Thank you all very much for your input! I got some really great tips that I know I will be trying next time I go!:) I said no to taco bell today and it felt great! I've decided that subway is my only choice if I jave to "eat on the go". Thank you again for the advice!:)
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    There is no easy solution here. Subway is like anywhere else. I use to eat there almost everyday and even made an Excel spreadsheet with the *ingredients'* nutritional information. I would then "make my own sandwich" to see the fat, cal, sodium, etc. Once I was happy, I knew EXACTLY what to order and how.

And FWIW, I wouldn't say "it's good for you"...I'd say it can just provide healthier choices.

BTW, depending on your situation, lowest calories may not be the best option. Their American cheese is the lowest in calories, but high in sodium. The Swiss is (I think) 30 cals more, but sodium is minimal. You need to choose how you want to eat: is it easier for your to get rid of sodium or calories? For me, heart issues run in my family so I'd rather walk a little more to burn the extra calories.

If you'd like the spreadsheet, send me a message and I'll find a public place to post it for downloading.

Good Luck!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    They're about as common as a Starbucks, reasonably priced and nutritionally better when compared to most other fast food places.

If you're worried a out sodium, get the roast beef, it has the least amount of sodium.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I consider subway to be a healthier alternative than mcdonalds. That being said, I also treat it as a once-in-a-blue-moon thing. I wouldn't call it "healthy" per se, but I wouldn't say it's the worst. The whole grain bread isn't really whole grain and has HFCS, so I eat white bread there because it's a treat. (I never eat white grain at home)

Here's a calculator for you if you get a custom sandwich to tell you all the information!

http://www.eddieoneverything.com/calculators/subway-sandwich-calorie-carb-nutrition-calculator.php
  • R0asted
    R0asted Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I eat at Subway all the time. Even when on a cut. I usually go for Honey Oat bread and stick with either Roast Beef, Roasted Chicken, or, if I can afford the extra carbs, chicken terriyaki. Stay the hell away from the tuna. Oh, and Honey Mustard is the only dressing I will get, if any.
  • LMRoses
    LMRoses Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love Subway for lunches. I'm not sure if it's different here in Australia, but I've never noticed any extra thirst or bloating afterwards. My usual is 6 inch turkey on wheat with lettuce, tomato, onions, cucumbers and capsicum, with a small amount of sweet chili sauce. It's delicious and satisfying and around 270 calories. If I'm super hungry I can get two and have the other half through the afternoon, and it still doens't ruin the day calorie-wise. For me, Subway is a great option for lunch. Fresh food options, and I know exactly how many calories I'm eating, rather than estimating when I get sandwiches from independent places (even though I do support independents in nearly everything!)
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Still have to be smart at subway. Lots of bad choices there but lots of good ones too. I had it for dinner tonight. 660 calorie footlong. Roasted chicken breast on wheat, no cheese, spinach, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, green pepper, onion, and giardinara.. no sauces. Still 104 carbs, and almost 1200 mg sodium.. but in a pinch, about as good as I can do for fast food.
  • Happinessx
    Options
    6" Hearty Italian Turkey Breast w/ Lettuce, Tomato, Onion's >> 100 calories according to their website.
    ^ I ate one the other day but I havent ate there in a while because I usually take my own lunches.

There's no way that's right, the bread itself is at least 200 calories :/ Pretty sure the whole 6-inch is close to 300. Still sounds like a good healthy sandwich though!

I just now saw this, I went back on the website and recalculated it ~ I was looking in the wrong spot, it has 280 calories & yes, it was a pretty darn good sandwhich
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i eat subway on regular basis because there's one next to where i live. it's low in calories (my sandwiches are usually up to 400 kcal), depends what you put in it.
    it's alright. not the yummiest and the healthiest food ever but hasn't stopped me from reaching my goal weight.