How many languages can you speak?

Options

Replies

• Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hadi... Turkmusunuz ??? :))

Ben türk öğrenme yaşıyorum.

(...is that right? I'm not any good yet)

Ah you learning Turkish ????

Evet. :D

I started, I don't know, last year around this time. I'm slacking off a bit and still not very good though. I can read, but Turkish with a French accent sounds quite ridiculous, lol.
  • kepirus
    kepirus Posts: 79
    Options
    English, and I've been trying to learn Russian for 20 years, but am still a beginner. If I ever finally get that, I want to work on Spanish and ASL.
  • nickowastaken
    nickowastaken Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    English and Bahasa Melayu.

I also know a little Mandarin, French, Spanish and Dutch
  • Carol_s
    Carol_s Posts: 73
    Options
    English, Welsh, French and some Spanish and basic Italian.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You know, some people of other nationalities choose English names. I have several Korean and Chinese friends who do not use their real name, and have picked North American names.
    Thats true and it also applies with the surnames (for some). I used to have a boss who is a pure Chinese and her husband is also pure Chinese but they're using the Spanish surname Santiago which according to them, they just 'bought' it. Dunno how did they do that.

in fact Chinese have this thing of having two names, one in English or Spanish and the other in Chinese.

Yep! My sister lived and worked in China for 4 years, teaching English. They all have English names, and some of the kids had really funny names, like Ocean and Tiger!
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    You know, some people of other nationalities choose English names. I have several Korean and Chinese friends who do not use their real name, and have picked North American names.
    Thats true and it also applies with the surnames (for some). I used to have a boss who is a pure Chinese and her husband is also pure Chinese but they're using the Spanish surname Santiago which according to them, they just 'bought' it. Dunno how did they do that.

in fact Chinese have this thing of having two names, one in English or Spanish and the other in Chinese.

Yep! My sister lived and worked in China for 4 years, teaching English. They all have English names, and some of the kids had really funny names, like Ocean and Tiger!

I live in Taiwan and some of my friends have some really crazy names! (Lion, Water, Potato, Plasma, Pineapple). They pick English names because they are easier for western people to pronounce apparently.

Edit - I speak English, a little Mandarin and a little French.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    English and Yorkshire

I used to be able to speak French and Russian too but can only remember a little of Russian

I speak Yorkshire too! from which part of Yorks are you from? I'm a Donny lass originally but moved to Saltaire in my late 20's.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    English and Spanish. I use the Spanish less now, but at one point in my life I began to have dreams in Spanish!
  • Liadora11
    Options
    English, Swedish, and a bit of German. Can understand Danish and Norwegian but I always reply in Swedish as they can understand me :D
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    fluent in English (native language)

can get by in French and Arabic, plus I can read and write in Arabic (although my Arabic's a really bizarre mixture of fus-ha (classical), Levantine dialect and Gulf dialect, it's a wonder that Arabs don't roll on the floor laughing at me when I try to speak it - for an English equivalent, imagine shakespearian English mixed with London and Canadian English or something like that!)

just restarted studying German and found I remembered a lot more than I thought I would

can speak a phrase or two in Spanish, Zulu, Afrikaans, Welsh and I have quite a lot of Latin vocabulary from studying science, but no grammar. I can tell you stuff like "cerebral cortex" means "brain skin/outer layer" and "medulla oblongata" means "oblong shaped middle bit" (btw, for any science students, this is a really good trick for learning anatomy, because the translations of Latin names are very descriptive, if you remember the translation it's really easy to match it up to the part being described)
  • IamNhappy
    IamNhappy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    English, Brazilian Portuguese, ASL & Ebony Phonics =-)
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Spanish, English and Italian... although its been a while with Italian...
  • elorawood
    elorawood Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    German, English & Spanish
  • dark_light
    Options
    Three. Tres. Trois.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Three. English, Canadian and Italian.
  • blanhe2
    blanhe2 Posts: 88
    Options
    Fluent Dutch, English and German, a little bit of Italian and French as well.
  • LuccyH
    LuccyH Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    my mother language is Slovak, Czech, English, un peau French, Polish
  • peniculala
    peniculala Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I can speak English and Spanish. I can say the alphabet in English, Spanish, Dutch and French and also count to at least 100 in the same.
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    I am fluent in 3.... English, Spanish, and smart *kitten*...
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    It all depends how mad I get....lol:angry: