Crock pot tips and recipes

Options

Replies

• shnea913
    Options
    Santa brought me a crock pot. I'm so excited I've already used it twice today :)
    I would love some beginner tips and healthy recipes.
    Also, we don't eat red meat. No pork or beef.

Today I made mexican chicken cooked in salsa, and cooking now is beans for hummus.

I would love the mexican chicken recipe or did you season it with the salsa only?
  • MarthasVineyard
    MarthasVineyard Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This link is to one of my favorite Crock-pot recipes - Chicken Taco Soup. For a healthier option, you can use a lower sodium taco seasoning. The data is also in the food tracking data base. Bonus!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-chicken-taco-soup/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=slow cooker chicken taco soup&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My meat always seems to just fall apart when I cook it in the crock pot. Is there any tricks not to make it do that?

Last night I made pork chops in the crock-pot and you couldn't even eat them with a fork cause they wouldn't stay together...
  • tackie8383
    tackie8383 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    saving for later!
  • kaputch1980
    kaputch1980 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Saving for later
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i made this last night. awesome!! i served it over whole wheat pasta

bump

mediterranean chicken

6 skinned chicken thighs, bone-in
    1 can plum tomatoes, drained and cut into chunks
    1 3/4 cups coarsely chopped onion
    1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
    2 tablespoons drained capers
    1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 small lemon

grate rind and squeeze juice from lemon to equal 1 tsp. rind and 1 tablespoon juice. reserve rind and refrigerate.

combine other ingredients except chicken.
    spray crockpot with nonstick cooking spray.
    place half the mixture in the crockpot, place the chicken on top, cover the chicken with the remaining mixture.

cook on LOW for 4 hours.

garnish with lemon rind.
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    thats the best way to have meat. you dont want it tough

My meat always seems to just fall apart when I cook it in the crock pot. Is there any tricks not to make it do that?

Last night I made pork chops in the crock-pot and you couldn't even eat them with a fork cause they wouldn't stay together...
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    BUMP'ing for later. Avid Crockpot user looking for newer recipes :drinker:
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I love my crock pot and use it for a lot of things.

BUMP for later reading
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    thats the best way to have meat. you dont want it tough

I think you're going to have that because that's what a Crockpot is all about, being able to take a cheap cut of meat and have it turn out tender, fall off the bone etc.

If you want a roast to be firmer, or whatever word you'd want to use, cooking it in the oven in dry heat would accomplish that.

Too long of cooking time will also result in some meats falling apart a bit more than you planned. Make sure your Crockpot is older than 5-7 years old and you can go by the typical cooking time on a recipe. If you have one of the newer Crockpot's, which I have (mine might be 5 yrs old or so?) they heat much differently, they cook much faster. When I put a meal in mine I have to put it on for about half of the low cooking time or it's way too much for it. Burned or stuck to the sides..

One of these Crockpot threads has a guide to the new and old models and how to cook accordingly. I think I posted it not long ago, also it gave time for switching from an oven recipe to Crockpot.

Less cooking time might solve that.. I wrote a response up above as well.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I have one night a week where I prep loads of veg for Crockpot meals then freeze it in bags so I just need to throw a bag in the Crockpot in the morning and come home to yummy food. It means I can buy veg in bulk and makes weekdays far easier (I work long hours).

I bought a timer if the meal needs fewer hours than I'm at work for. I use my Crockpot most days.
    Handy! Do you blanch them first or simply chop and freeze in the baggies? I've heard this idea but have yet to do it, think after seeing you mention I'll do that this week! Thanks for the reminder!:wink:
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    bump
  • alt426
    alt426 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I got a slow cooker for Christmas too! I'll definitely look at this page. Luckily, I also received the "Fix and Forget it Lightly cookbook." I've tried 4 recipes so far and they all tasted fantastic.
  • rquick6
    rquick6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with my crock pot!! I make whole chickens, my own stock, soups, and even bread!! Def check out pinterest for recipes. Theyre are a ton!! And pick up some of the liners I swear by them!
  • Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I like taking a bag of frozen Bertolli Tuscan-style Beef and Vegetables and cook it in on low while I'm at work. I add some pepper and garlic powder because it seems to be a bit bland otherwise. Half the bag, prepared, is only 360 calories. Served with a bagel instead of bread or biscuits and the calories are only 620.
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • emnora
    emnora Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    great idea
  • rockstarrabbit
    rockstarrabbit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Homemade Applesause!:glasses: Add me and my recipe is one of my favorites!