2012 Photo Journey

Options
waldo56
waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
While I joined MFP prior to 2012 and began my weight loss journey in 2011, in 2012 I decided to that regular progress photos were as important as any other measurement. Here is a collage of my transformation in 2012.

In 2012 I finished my initial cut, bulked for a while, then cut some of the excess fat off at the end of the year. I'm still nowhere near my ultimate goals, but here is my progress in 2012:

2012Collageresized.jpg

Some notes:

- Initial cut lasted to 5/24, actual start was 9/11/2011, weighed 262.5 lb (I don't have an actual start photo unfortunately. Big regret in hindsight)
- Bulked 6/18 to 10/15. I gained very little fat when bulking.
- Cut 10/29 to 12/19
- Ate at maintenance for 2 weeks between cutting/bulking
- Low weigh-in of 186.6 lb on 5/24
- I estimate that I was 27% BF in the first photo, 11% in the last. Most of the year, May to November, I was in the 13-14% area.

My approach:

- I am an IIFYM (if it fits your macros) eater. Calorie counting (hitting weekly goals) with daily protein goals. I don't care so much about carb:fat ratio, but will take carbs over fat any day. I strongly disagree with diets that eliminate foods.

- When I cut from fat to not fat, I cut with a daily deficit of 1000 cal/day on average over the week, 1 g/lb est LBM protein per day.

- Once I became not fat, any cutting was (is) done with a daily deficit of 500 cal/day weekly average and a daily protein intake of 1 g/lb bodyweight.

- Bulking was (is) done with a daily surplus of 500 cal/day weekly average and a daily protein intake of 1 g/lb bodyweight.

- I'm pretty hardcore into data. Charts and graphs. I weigh daily and do a full slate of measurements weekly. There is no such thing as too much data. I use weigh-in results and calorie data to reverse engineer my metabolism, in order to set calorie goals that lead to expected results. I lose, gain, and maintain as I expect to.

- I exercise 7 days a week. I never skip working out unless I planned to ahead of time, which is very rare outside of football season. When Green Bay plays, I drink beer and yell at the TV, and don't work out.

- I run, walk, strength train, and do yoga.

- For strength training I use bodyweight and some dumbbells at home. Most exercises are bodyweight, my external resistance is limited to 15, 25, 35 lb hex DB sets, an adjustable 60 lb weight vest (relatively new, got it in December, it was a non-factor), and 10 lb ankle weights.

- I don't agree with skipping cardio when bulking (I think it keeps it cleaner), don't agree with doing HIIT (except in a few cases), and have never touched a barbell in my life.

Replies

• panzerduff
    panzerduff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sick brah. Great transformation.
  • alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    What a great transformation. You are really into the numbers and it shows. Good job.
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    WOW! You look amazing! Great job!
  • sblackbear8
    sblackbear8 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Bravo ...... you look maaaaahvelous !

(I wish my husband would do this :bigsmile: )
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Kickass man!
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! Good on you, man!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    amazingamazingamazingWHATAYEAR!!!amazingamazingamazing :)
  • dsanders16
    Options
    I love to see the changes in facial expressions! Way to go!!!!!!!!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    awesome! now, put your original hair on the final picture! :)
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    nice job!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Great job.The photo's must keep you motivated.
  • christy3565
    Options
    wow you look fantastic!! Great job!!
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    great transformation, and go Packers!
  • Freedomgurl585
    Freedomgurl585 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Love this idea, I'm stealing it for my own success story. Great job you look GOOD.
  • lkokot
    lkokot Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Damn Bro!

What's your age and height if you don't mind me asking?
  • waldo56
    Options
    awesome! now, put your original hair on the final picture! :)

First picture was an epic failure hair-wise. Had bad headband hair going on after working out.

Along with everything else, I got a lot better at taking progress photos throughout the year, including not having ridiculous looking hair or facial expressions.

Though, the worse your before photo looks, the better your after looks, lol, so I really can't complain.
  • waldo56
    Options
    Damn Bro!

What's your age and height if you don't mind me asking?

34 years old, 6'1" tall.
  • Squible
    Squible Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    wow great transformation gonna show this to my o/h to hopefully motivate both of us :)
  • stephanie40403
    stephanie40403 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    dude, thats awesome
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!