so how crowded is your gym with newbies?

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Oddly nothing yet. I expect that to change soon.
    Each year, January to March are intolerable on weekdays.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    And you were NEVER new...right?
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    My gym is empty ha-ha, because my gym is in my home. Thank goodness! I never have to wait for something to be free to use and nobody to look at me while I work it, more comfortable IMHO.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    I finally felt at home! There were so many fat people there I loved it! I hope they stay it was nice to be surrounded by people that are my size rather then being the biggest one in the gym!
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    I'm THRILLED to see so many newbies! Whatever gets people motivated to move more and incorporate fitness into their lives is a move in the right direction, be it resolutions, an upcoming wedding, reunion, etc.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    About 25% new faces. No catastrophes. A few playing with their iPods or cell phones while tying up a machine. But for the most part, they seemed sincere and RESOLUTE!
  • adnil17
    adnil17 Posts: 35 Member
    Wasnt everyone a newbie at one point? Instead of waiting on them to give up why not offer encoragement to make them stay.

Ok Start of the year and more people decide to make a change but some do stick to it. I find the gym hard enough as i am not a long legged, 6ft bronzed godess with toned ABS. With out people looking and making guesses on when i will quit.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    I can't stand the resolution crowd!

Cool.
    Glad you're so supportive, I would hate to inconvenience you.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    I go in the mornings and just see the same people around, must not be a common resolution to wake up earlier.
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Resolutionists. That's funny. But I have to admit I was one a couple of times before sticking to it. There were double the normal number of folks at our gym this morning, and I just smiled and said: "hey" just like I do with the regulars. Some of them could definitely learn some locker room etiquette though....
  • I've been working out at home and outside for almost a year and a half, and I was considering joining a gym to work with people. A lot of gyms have good deals for membership these first few weeks.

Then I read this thread.

Eeeek - same here! I was thinking about going along to my uni gym for the first time, now considering waiting for a few weeks so everyone doesn't hate me! :P
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Resolutionists. That's funny. But I have to admit I was one a couple of times before sticking to it. There were double the normal number of folks at our gym this morning, and I just smiled and said: "hey" just like I do with the regulars. Some of them could definitely learn some locker room etiquette though....

You mean I am not supposed to just walk around naked and dry my balls with the gym provided hair dryer?

Oops.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Lol, the pool of old people sounds like something from the movie Cocoon. Please nobody get upset and report me. I've been warned and trying to be on my best behavior. I certainly don't want the mods or AARP to get upset. I do love old people. I mean "less young" people.

What were we talking about? Noobs? I'll be going to the Y today but I'm betting on yes, plenty of 'em.
  • Rcsie
    Rcsie Posts: 17
    Haha, this was me today, but the gym was empty except for me and the friends I went with.. And I wiped down the equipment because I'm not a dbag.. Nice to know how welcome I am!
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    I'm THRILLED to see so many newbies! Whatever gets people motivated to move more and incorporate fitness into their lives is a move in the right direction, be it resolutions, an upcoming wedding, reunion, etc.

^^^This. I can't believe the snobs in these forums sometimes. Act like it's their home gym or something. Kudos to all of you who get out and at least try. Everyone is new at some point so don't let these gym snobs deter you.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    I finally felt at home! There were so many fat people there I loved it! I hope they stay it was nice to be surrounded by people that are my size rather then being the biggest one in the gym!

Hahaha I felt the same!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    my gym wasn't terrible, but I saw some odd ducks in there. One girl (must have been about 15) was in a Bench winter jacket on the stationary bike. Another guy brought his entire family (toddlers aren't allowed upstairs!!!) and they just roamed around the entire time I was at the gym. I was a lot less self conscious because of all the overweight people there lol Although I do have some sympathy for the Resolutionists, I am overweight, and the people at my gym (which I've been going to for over 3 years) treated me like a newbie. Even the guys in the free weights were looking at me funny, I just wanted to scream "YOU SAW ME DEADLIFTING TWO DAYS AGO!!! STOP STARING!!!"
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Not too bad at my gym yet. I usually go at 0500, so I only see the very serious that early. The rush will start next weeek and go for a month maybe two. It is nice when some of the new ones stick around, but most don't.
  • Nimadi486
    Nimadi486 Posts: 93 Member
    Yesterday I went about 10 and it was awful. When I was on the bike I saw two younger girls walking through, one on her phone and bashed right into a guy doing lat pull downs, another one was on her phone the row behind me for over 20 minutes, and talking loudly. Tons of people not wiping down their equipment. I started wiping it down before and after each use. I was seconds away from asking one girl just sitting flipping through her phone on the leg press if she was not going to do a set to let me work in when she must have finished doing whatever it was on her phone.

Oh and my usual pet peeve of people bathing in perfume/cologne. Around some people it hung so heavy in the air you could taste it.

^^^
    THIS

I'm happy that people are trying to make healthier choices and join the gym, but the gym etiquette is HORRIBLE.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    I normally go at 4:30am, but today I didn't feel like getting up. So today is going to be the first day that I'm going to battle the afternoon crowd....I'm not looking forward to it. :grumble:
    That's what I get for being a lazy a$s and sleeping in today.....