so how crowded is your gym with newbies?

Options

Replies

• chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    the gym ive joined will all be newbies , its a newly opening gym end of this month lol
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine calls them Resolutionists. You know them - the people who make a New Years Resolution to lose weight and join a gym only to quit after a few weeks.
    They subsidize your gym bill. You know that, right? Without them, your fees would skyrocket, or the place would close its doors.
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Not too terribly bad yet. But then, I have been making it a point to go before the 5pm crowd gets there. I've been going about 3:30/4:00 and leave about 5:15ish. I'm sure they are on their way, though :p
  • OliveDouglas
    Options
    For the most part, my gym is empty, but then again, I got at 5:45AM....Not many people want to workout that early.

In a few days all gyms will be empty again :-)
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    my gyms empty. all the student athletes are gone for winter break, so i have the weight room all to myself! (besides 1-2 elderly gentlemen)
  • Chelsrf
    Chelsrf Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Mine, surprisingly, hasn't been bad. Then again I am normally there after 9pm, I'm sure it is probably busier during 5-8.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Ahhh the resolute masses. :-) Everyone has to start somewhere..

I have a home gym now and it gets a little lonely sometimes, and I miss the eye candy. Not enough to deal with the resolute masses, but there's always something.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    HI!
    QUESTION :

Weren't you all "new" to your gym at some point in time? Or were you born there????
    Just sayin' :bigsmile:
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Mine was less zoo-like with gym users as it was zoo-like with people signing up and tours being given. It was like I was the zoo animal and the people came to watch me do my thing.

Oh and the trainers, new year so they have to hit their sales goals with whom they believe are new to the gym and believe theiur used car salesman routine.

I'm not bitter. :tongue:
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the new folks, the red faces, the piles of sweat. At least they are trying and maybe it will stick for some. I am helpful when i can be and not a fraid to ask someone resting on a machine to hop up while I knock out a quick set. They always oblige.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I do one of the most popular classes at my gym, at the most popular time of the day to do classes. We had one new member this evening.
    I was surprised actually, because I joined in November 2011, and so saw an influx of new members in the New Year, in the start of the summer, and they seem to try it and then come back maybe once or twice and never come back.
    I see the same faces week in, week out...
  • thathockeychick23
    Options
    We were all newbies ourselves at some point. Whether our resolution to change came in the middle of the summer or the New Year, we all made that decision for ourselves. We all had to start somewhere, and it's good people are taking notice of their health and taking initiative to change it. Some will stick to it, and some will not. At least they got that in their head that they can go and make a change to better themselves.
  • PilotX
    PilotX Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    the flock will come and go some will stick around some will leave makes no difference to me. ill still be going 5 days a week
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I always call them Resolutionaries. I like the sound of it. It makes me think of revolutionary soldiers fighting up an insurmountable hill against all odds.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly there weren't many new people (other than a handful with "trainers") at my gym last night! I dont know if it was because it was cold (in the 30sF) or if it's just because i live in the fattest city in the united states and they just dont GAF.

:)
  • heatherdawn007
    Options
    I was "that person" last year! I had done workouts at home my whole life, alternating between running, swimming, videos, etc, and had just moved to my area. I joined on January 5th, knowing the regulars and gym staff were probably rolling their eyes at me and my resolution. Guess what? One year later, I've been at that gym anywhere from 3 to 5 days a week, every week this year. If I was out of town, I was working out there. Gotta start somewhere! I saw a few new faces in the locker room this morning - hope they stick with it!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    The herd stormed in with a vengeance this week.
    Most will wash out by Mid-February, and the remainder will give up on themselves by March.
    A sliver of this drone hive will actually shrug off the shackles of failure and push through.
    I salute them!
    :drinker:
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I dislike posts like this.

You were a newbie too once, ya know.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    HI!
    QUESTION :

Weren't you all "new" to your gym at some point in time? Or were you born there????
    Just sayin' :bigsmile:

What's this got to do with anything? We are simply commenting on the same old crowd that joins in the new year and stops somewhere in february (if they make it that long).

It has less to do with the time the signed up- after all anyone i see in the gym is either IN SHAPE or trying to get IN SHAPE. Makes no difference to me. What DOES bother me is the sudden influx of people who go to the gym to do a half-assed workout, take up a bunch of space talking, and don't have common courtesy like re-racking weights.

Either way, best of luck to them! ;)
  • xxempress
    xxempress Posts: 122
    Options
    I finally felt at home! There were so many fat people there I loved it! I hope they stay it was nice to be surrounded by people that are my size rather then being the biggest one in the gym!

LMFAO!!!!!! Felt at home last night!