so how crowded is your gym with newbies?

Options

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It's so many new people at the gym I may start working out at home.

It won't last long because the people in my community prefer to eat out instead of workout.
  • Wendydelmo
    Wendydelmo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Please don't feel this way. My gym was a little busier than usual- but I haven't been for awhile. too. Each and every one of us started from somewhere- and I, personally do not hater the newbies- I make a point to smile and be encouraging. Considering I cried int he parking lot for 10 minutes before I got up the courage to go to the gym (and I'm a VERY confident person) I now what you mean. Don't wait- if you want to join, join now! Do it for YOU and don't let anyone stop you- def not the people who aren't supportive.

Go for it!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Go figure...people actually USING a gym.... LIKE OMG.... I found these shoes at the shoe store....

Seriously, what does it matter? People are presently focused on getting healthier. I think you may have that focus, no?
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I dislike posts like this.

You were a newbie too once, ya know.

^agreed 100%

13months ago I was the newbie wandering around like an idiot. We all start or restart somewhere.
  • JBrown9538
    JBrown9538 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This is my least favorite thing about gyms, and also, kind of about humanity. Because you KNOW that in a month, it's going to clear out.

I canceled my gym membership and take fitness classes at a place near my house so that I go every time and so that I know it won't be overcrowded, since you have to pre-register. I also belong to two yoga studios, so I can mix up times and go when I know it'll be less crowded.

I can't stand the resolution crowd!

We all had to start somewhere. Dont forget that we were like that once too. You should be encouraging, not discouraging, just saying

Amen! Give people a break. You all started out one day too. People like this make newbies uncomfortable and fail.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Mine was pretty empty. I had to look for like 5 minutes for a spot.
  • kamiAK
    kamiAK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine calls them Resolutionists. You know them - the people who make a New Years Resolution to lose weight and join a gym only to quit after a few weeks.

My first day back at my gym was last night. I saw a few new faces but not enough that I had to wait on a machine. But I also realize that my gym is at a rehab hospital and the average age is higher, so I'm guessing there were more newbies in the morning.

No newbies in the pool last night. But we're in a deep freeze at the moment (-9F last night - BRRR!) so I'm guessing a lot of people chose not to leave their house in that weather!

The new people in the pool bother me more - they don't pay attention to where people are and that makes it tougher to swim laps. and if gets too crowded I won't swim laps. It's a really small pool with an older clientele so it's not really a lap pool, and there have been complaints about one guy who only thinks he can swim - we call him The Splasher. lol
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    The herd stormed in with a vengeance this week.
    Most will wash out by Mid-February, and the remainder will give up on themselves by March.
    A sliver of this drone hive will actually shrug off the shackles of failure and push through.
    I salute them!
    :drinker:

Yay.......you're back.........again............I've missed you like you wouldn't believe.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why people joining the gym is a BAD thing. *shakes head*

I still think ya'll should ENCOURAGE them and maybe they'll stay instead of dropping off once they forget their new year resolution. If the people at my gym hadn't been friendly I wouldn't have lost that first 30lbs!!!!
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My gym actually wasn't as bad as I feared but I workout some time between 8-11 pm so its not exactly peak hours. I'm sure 6-8pm was a zoo.

Exactly - I work out at 5 am and there were a few - but not nearly what I thought it would be. Like you said - I'm sure spin class at 6 will be MOBBED so I'm going to pass this week I think.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it. Sure I have to wait for a rack, or a bench, but I think it's cool that they're out and getting started, and there's a proportion of them that will stick with it, and that's even cooler. Long live the resolutionists, I say.

After all, it's not like it's MY pool, or MY rack, or MY bench. If I want to get proprietorial over equipment, I guess I'll have to buy it for myself.
  • moxleye
    moxleye Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This is my least favorite thing about gyms, and also, kind of about humanity. Because you KNOW that in a month, it's going to clear out.

I canceled my gym membership and take fitness classes at a place near my house so that I go every time and so that I know it won't be overcrowded, since you have to pre-register. I also belong to two yoga studios, so I can mix up times and go when I know it'll be less crowded.

I can't stand the resolution crowd!

We all had to start somewhere. Dont forget that we were like that once too. You should be encouraging, not discouraging, just saying

I agree with you 100% if only 50% of them continue after a few weeks at least they are trying!
    I am looking forward to meeting some new people just starting out on there weight loss journey.
    I am very polite but I will tell someone after they are finished with a piece of equipment " the towels and spray are over there."
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why people joining the gym is a BAD thing. *shakes head*

I still think ya'll should ENCOURAGE them and maybe they'll stay instead of dropping off once they forget their new year resolution. If the people at my gym hadn't been friendly I wouldn't have lost that first 30lbs!!!!

I don't think anyone is saying it's a bad thing. This happens every year. The gym gets busy for a few weeks, and then tapers off to the normals. I've seen it about 18 times now.

No one is saying it's bad. They're just stating what happens, every year. I joined a gym for the 1st time in Spring, and was taken back by how many people joined and then dropped out at the 1st new year there.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the newbies at my gym. :-x I switched to Planet Fitness instead of my ladies' gym that I've gone to for almost 2 years now... so I'm one that people are looking at judgmentally. Or would be if it weren't the judgement free zone. :p

LOVE PF! I started at one when I lived in Syracuse, NY, and waited very impatiently for one to open where I live in Michigan now for almost 4 years before we finally got one. I signed up before they were even open!

To the OP, I went straight from work (got to the machines around 5:30) and there were some of everything open in the cardio. Weight machines were hit and miss and the circuit was mostly empty. I was shocked because PF deals are unbelievable so I figured that, like last year, there'd be a swarm of people. Maybe it'll take another few days! The more the merrier as long as everyone's respectful...and the guy who happened to be on the machine I was going to use before me wiped it down in front of me then wished me a good workout!
  • kamiAK
    kamiAK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    in one breath you say the pool ISNT a lap pool and in the next you say some new person is in your way from swimming laps...and then complain that this ~new person~ is some loser because he has the nerve to grace your presence and not be a expert swimmer! how about cheer him on because he is trying to learn. you complain that ~new~ people are coming in to your gym but out of the other side of your mouth you say....i just came back.
  • farmboyphotography
    farmboyphotography Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I work out at the Anytime Fitness by my office during my lunch breaks. There was not one new face there, but I think that is because in the middle of the afternoon, this particular gym is always nearly empty. Now, if I worked out at 5:00-8:00 p.m., I guarantee the place would be crowded during those hours.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the newbies at my gym. :-x I switched to Planet Fitness instead of my ladies' gym that I've gone to for almost 2 years now... so I'm one that people are looking at judgmentally. Or would be if it weren't the judgement free zone. :p

LOVE PF! I started at one when I lived in Syracuse, NY, and waited very impatiently for one to open where I live in Michigan now for almost 4 years before we finally got one. I signed up before they were even open!

To the OP, I went straight from work (got to the machines around 5:30) and there were some of everything open in the cardio. Weight machines were hit and miss and the circuit was mostly empty. I was shocked because PF deals are unbelievable so I figured that, like last year, there'd be a swarm of people. Maybe it'll take another few days! The more the merrier as long as everyone's respectful...and the guy who happened to be on the machine I was going to use before me wiped it down in front of me then wished me a good workout!

The PF in Syracuse is pretty nice. I just spent two weeks in Syracuse on business in November, used that club almost every day I was there.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I have to say I have only ever seen one person on their phone - well chatting on his hands free - on the early shift ... But dude is drop dead GORGEOUS so I kinda let him off and just smile at him. A lot.
    (And try not to fall off the rowing machine while staring at him) ....
    Sorry, where was I .. Oh yes phones bad.

Actually saw a staff member at my gym tell someone who was talking on his phone while using the elliptical on Tuesday that he had to confine his phone use to the lobby area. That was kind of refreshing.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    youre a jerk. those people are trying to make their lives better and you're in here judging them where they can see it. No wonder so many people are scared to go.

Yeah, I really dislike posts like this. Makes me want to push off a goal I had about joining a gym later this year back further. And no, it isn't because I'm lazy. I workout at home. It's just I am very self-conscious and have a bit of social anxiety. The gym was both a physical and mental step forward in conquering two things at once, but then I see threads like this (mostly during the New Year but they still pop up throughout the rest of the year)...and I think maybe I shouldn't go after all.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Not busy at all, but I go to the YMCA. Non-trendy gym FTW