so how crowded is your gym with newbies?

Options

Replies

• traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    In November I was one of 120 or so people on my sex, and my age "band" in the gym I go to, by the end of December I was one of 500, in January I am currently one of 625 (and increasing) They use something called Fitlinxx to keep track of your progress, which I think is great :)

This is my first January at this gym and I was surprised to see just how many people have joined since before Christmas. Like many others I am so happy to "fit in" at the gym as I was also one of the very few very overweight people there working out at the time I go.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    My gym is a Bowflex, a Gazelle Glider and a Treadmill on my Third Floor. As far as I know, nobody has been up there for weeks. :smile:
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    No one will read this comment, but I am so sad when I read posts like this.

Do none of you remember what it was like when you first entered the gym and a "newbie".

To be honest, I would be ashamed of myself if I wrote comments like this.

No wonder humanity is going down the drain.

Instead of *****ing on a site about how someone might take up your precious gym equipment - why not help them.

Do you have any idea how damn lucky you are that you have a membership!!

Get your head out of your *kitten* and look around.
  • meechster20001
    meechster20001 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I joined mid December so count myself as a newbie. It's been quieter this week but then I've been in about 3pm so out of peak times. I think the first zumba class of the on Monday night is going to be packed out. My place is no contract and doing cheap monthly rates so I'd be very surprised if they'd not have a massive takeup on new members. I'm new, everyone has been great to me and I only use my phone for my music and couch to 5k app, no calls or texts!
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I was a newbie in Jan 2011 so, YES, I CAN poop on people. If they are still around in May I'll apologize to all (both of) them : )

**why did MFP edit my original word for poop??
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    (deleted)
  • sheismith
    sheismith Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I finally felt at home! There were so many fat people there I loved it! I hope they stay it was nice to be surrounded by people that are my size rather then being the biggest one in the gym!

Haha! Me too! :smile:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    A few more people than normal this morning....but the university students aren't back yet..that should change things starting this weekend.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine calls them Resolutionists. You know them - the people who make a New Years Resolution to lose weight and join a gym only to quit after a few weeks.

My first day back at my gym was last night. I saw a few new faces but not enough that I had to wait on a machine. But I also realize that my gym is at a rehab hospital and the average age is higher, so I'm guessing there were more newbies in the morning.

No newbies in the pool last night. But we're in a deep freeze at the moment (-9F last night - BRRR!) so I'm guessing a lot of people chose not to leave their house in that weather!

The new people in the pool bother me more - they don't pay attention to where people are and that makes it tougher to swim laps. and if gets too crowded I won't swim laps. It's a really small pool with an older clientele so it's not really a lap pool, and there have been complaints about one guy who only thinks he can swim - we call him The Splasher. lol

how nice. I bet people there were people who thought you were a resolutionist,too when you first started.

my gym was the usual mix of people shopping,walking dogs,riding bikes and driving cars,buses and trucks.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, the gym was packed - it's a small, grotty whole of a gym, and there were a good 25 people. Today, there was 3. Including me.

Those resolutionists drop off fast.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My gym is open 24/7 so its great to have new members to fill the place out. The more the merrier I say, I hate being the only one is the gym!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine calls them Resolutionists. You know them - the people who make a New Years Resolution to lose weight and join a gym only to quit after a few weeks.

My first day back at my gym was last night. I saw a few new faces but not enough that I had to wait on a machine. But I also realize that my gym is at a rehab hospital and the average age is higher, so I'm guessing there were more newbies in the morning.

No newbies in the pool last night. But we're in a deep freeze at the moment (-9F last night - BRRR!) so I'm guessing a lot of people chose not to leave their house in that weather!

The new people in the pool bother me more - they don't pay attention to where people are and that makes it tougher to swim laps. and if gets too crowded I won't swim laps. It's a really small pool with an older clientele so it's not really a lap pool, and there have been complaints about one guy who only thinks he can swim - we call him The Splasher. lol

how nice. I bet people there were people who thought you were a resolutionist,too when you first started.

my gym was the usual mix of people shopping,walking dogs,riding bikes and driving cars,buses and trucks.

Good for you?
  • _TEMPEST_
    _TEMPEST_ Posts: 205
    Options
    I think those who are experienced gym members should put together a Gym Etiquette post.

If someone is new to a gym, they may not know about simple things like wiping down machines, phones, personal property, etc. It is intimidating to go into an unfamiliar setting, feeling awkward about yourself, seeing experienced folks all around you and trying to learn all at the same time.

Let's help the noobs!!!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I haven't been at my gym long enough to know who is new and who is not. How many people here have started a lifestyle change, and ended up falling back into the same ole routine? Guilty. Sometimes it takes a few tries for it to really set in. The more supportive people are versus judgemental, the more likely people continue going and try to better themselves.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

Do none of you remember what it was like when you first entered the gym and a "newbie".

Instead of *****ing on a site about how someone might take up your precious gym equipment - why not help them.

I read your post and I couldn't agree more.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Busier, but not to crowded. I've got 5 new clients since the 1st and expect a few more. But every year, for every 3 I get, just one stays.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    406573_419296138140982_1634712702_n.jpg
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Ok this will Probably seem like a shameless attempt at self-promoting another thread. However, before anymore of you jump down eachother's throats for being judgmental or complain about resolutionists, please consider reading my post in this forum titled "Why do we get annoyed by Resolutionists". I think I've summed up a lot of the perspectives on both sides of this and I really believe based on what I've seen in this thread that it would provide some useful information to help us understand eachother rather than getting upset or turned off to gyms or whatever. I'd also like you kind folks to point out any points I might have missed. Rather than judging eachother maybe try understanding eachother first?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/835861-why-do-we-get-annoyed-by-resolutionists
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

I read your post and I couldn't agree more.

i agree with this 100%... there is another thread where some girl is affraid to go to the gym, worried that others will be judging her and making fun of her... THIS IS WHY! do you know how many peole have atleast 1 false start before succeeding at weight loss or just a healthy lifestyle in general. id bet just about every one of us here have had failed attempts at one time or another! why are there threads like this that actually discourage "newbies" from taking that step and giving it a good try? are people this unhappy with thier own selves, thier own progress, thier own lives that they have to tear others down? my god, how about some encouragement for those who are trying to make a fresh start?
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    it was a bit busier....but not bad, weight room was dead, cardio was so so...no issues with trying to get a machine , thought it would have been busier