so how crowded is your gym with newbies?

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This thread is annoying me now. What I'm see in here is way more: meh, my gyms no too crowded yet, but it probably will be this weekend an will last a month or two (non-judgemental)

Or, "yeah, they're in there, hopefully it'll stick (statistically speaking a vet low percentage of people who make New Years resolutions actually stick to them. The likelihood of it becoming a new habit is more likely at any random day of the year).

And a lot of "why are you guys being so mean? You were new once too!" (Defensive when very few comments on this post are actually negative).

I encourage you all to defy statistics, as a group fit instructor and a lover of being active there is nothin is like I'd like to see more then 100% success rates.

Note: I hate typing on my phone and blame it on any and all typos. It's a *kitten*.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    This thread is annoying me now. What I'm see in here is way more: meh, my gyms no too crowded yet, but it probably will be this weekend an will last a month or two (non-judgemental)

Or, "yeah, they're in there, hopefully it'll stick (statistically speaking a vet low percentage of people who make New Years resolutions actually stick to them. The likelihood of it becoming a new habit is more likely at any random day of the year).

And a lot of "why are you guys being so mean? You were new once too!" (Defensive when very few comments on this post are actually negative).

I encourage you all to defy statistics, as a group fit instructor and a lover of being active there is nothin is like I'd like to see more then 100% success rates.

Note: I hate typing on my phone and blame it on any and all typos. It's a *kitten*.

i refuse to type on my phone because i make so many typos... lol

my only point is that its threads like this that turn people away from making changes and attempting to use a gym. this site should be the last place that someone who is genuinly trying to make changes, and find out how, should come to and be degraded and made fun of. its scary for new people to walk into a gym, then they see threads like this, and it validates thier fears, thats all... its just not cool to do...
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    extremely crowded. there was no parking today.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    extremely crowded. there was no parking today.

you know the only day i had a problem with parking, believe it or not, was on new years eve... i figured everyone would be getting prettied up for the night... but nope, they were at the gym... it was ok tho, i parked so far away in the next parkinglot that i felt like i got a good chunk of my workout over with just by walking from my truck to the gym... :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

my only point is that its threads like this that turn people away from making changes and attempting to use a gym. this site should be the last place that someone who is genuinly trying to make changes, and find out how, should come to and be degraded and made fun of. its scary for new people to walk into a gym, then they see threads like this, and it validates thier fears, thats all... its just not cool to do...

To me this post is about perspective. I'm actually seeing only a handful of people over 7 pages complaining about new members at the gym. Maybe complaining about access to equipment, but not about bodies. Yes we were all new once (mine was 6 years ago), but you have to keep it in perspective. The 10% of people who actually are judgemental are twatwaffles and no one should worry about what they think anyway. Seriously, why let that 10% of the population that you may only assume (most wont say publicly anyway) who gives a **** be the excuse as to whether or not you succeed. Whether or not you're in the gym they're judging you. And guess what, once you make and change and stick with it there's a whole other 10% that's judging you for something else. The only one who can change anything in this situation is the person with the perception of being judged. They can make a decision to do what they want, what they need to so, and not give a **** what anyone thinks.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

To me this post is about perspective. I'm actually seeing only a handful of people over 7 pages complaining about new members at the gym. Maybe complaining about access to equipment, but not about bodies. Yes we were all new once (mine was 6 years ago), but you have to keep it in perspective. The 10% of people who actually are judgemental are twatwaffles and no one should worry about what they think anyway. Seriously, why let that 10% of the population that you may only assume (most wont say publicly anyway) who gives a **** be the excuse as to whether or not you succeed. Whether or not you're in the gym they're judging you. And guess what, once you make and change and stick with it there's a whole other 10% that's judging you for something else. The only one who can change anything in this situation is the person with the perception of being judged. They can make a decision to do what they want, what they need to so, and not give a **** what anyone thinks.

totally agree, your spot on!!! but when young girls are intimidated by that 10% posting threads for them to read on a site that should provide motivation and not discouragement, it just makes it that much harder for them to even get in and start to make that change. for the rest of us, people who have been at the gym, people who have more to worry about than who MIGHT be judging them, or people who just dgaf, yeah, that 10% means nothing, but there are some who are affected by it, thats all.

wait... twatwaffle??? wth is that? im going to start calling my husband that...
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    LpGeK.gif
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Right now....quite a bit busier.
  • Webbygail
    Webbygail Posts: 116
    Options
    WOW. There are so many gym "elitists" on here, it's crazy. I'd say be supportive and encourage people who are working out, don't bring them down. Something is really wrong with some people on here. >_<
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It wasn't too bad. I am glad to see people making an effort and I hope they stick to it. I did hide out in the free weights area, though--newbies usually don't venture there.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Person gets fat. Extremely Fat.
    Person joins gym and is intimidated by the people making fun of them because it's January 1st.
    Person gives out dieting advice to everyone even though they're fat.
    Person sees the light on what it takes to not be fat, after failing 5 times and trying every diet in the book.
    Person finally loses the weight, a lot of weight.
    Person then judges others for trying to do the same thing and mocks them for their dieting and exercise habits because they think they're stupid.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i live in a small town, and our local gym really hasn't been that packed. i guess that is a plus...able to lift and get my cardio in without having to wait a million years for the racks and machines.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I usually go to gym on the first hour coz i hate a mid morning to evening crowded gym and when I'm there, I go straight to the free weights area to train. Its pure business for me so don't have the time in noticing the new faces there.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    This is another good reason to go at 3:30AM....Just wish it wasn't so damn cold.
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've been on vacation the last couple of weeks, so I've been going mid-morning when it's just retirees and housewives and it hasn't been too bad. I expect Saturday morning will be crowded though. Back to work on Monday which means I'm back to going when they open at 5 a.m., along with only a dozen or so other diehards.
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    After being an instructor in gyms for 14 years I've seen the ebb and flow of new people AND the reaction of the regulars to them. Maybe because I primarily taught cycling classes where there is a finite number of bikes available it was more pronounced when the New Year brought new people in and some of the regulars would complain because they didn't get a bike. I'd just remind them that everyone is entitled to take a class and next time they should probably make a point to get there earlier. I was as welcoming as possible to everyone just so that maybe they would find their experience positive enough to continue coming.

I'd also mention to the regulars, well before the New year began how the needed to remember how they may have felt intimidated when attending a class or the gym for the first time.

(New Years isn't the only time there's an uptick in membership. There's also the Spring uptick when people start getting serious about their sports or getting ready for swimsuit season and the another uptick in the Fall when people come back to indoor workouts when the weather gets crummy or because the kids are back in school).:smile:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    After being an instructor in gyms for 14 years I've seen the ebb and flow of new people AND the reaction of the regulars to them. Maybe because I primarily taught cycling classes where there is a finite number of bikes available it was more pronounced when the New Year brought new people in and some of the regulars would complain because they didn't get a bike. I'd just remind them that everyone is entitled to take a class and next time they should probably make a point to get there earlier. I was as welcoming as possible to everyone just so that maybe they would find their experience positive enough to continue coming.

I'd also mention to the regulars, well before the New year began how the needed to remember how they may have felt intimidated when attending a class or the gym for the first time.

(New Years isn't the only time there's an uptick in membership. There's also the Spring uptick when people start getting serious about their sports or getting ready for swimsuit season and the another uptick in the Fall when people come back to indoor workouts when the weather gets crummy or because the kids are back in school).:smile:

perfect! love this!
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Who cares? I'd rather sit in a pool of acid than ever meet some of you gym elitist a-holes.

To those who complain about people trying to change their life and "crowding" the gym... do me a favor? Don't breed and if you have..dont do it anymore. See, the world is getting crowded and I don't like a-holes...so....
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I would be ashamed of myself if I wrote comments like this.

No wonder humanity is going down the drain.

Wow - I asked for an observation and I've been called discouraging, judgmental, the sole reason a few of you decided not to join a gym, a snob, a jerk, a complainer, in a bad mood (need more carbs?!), the reason that people are uncomfortable and fail, hypocritical, non-supportive, degrading to other people, intimidating, and an elitist. And now I'm one of the reasons that humanity is going down the drain.

Pretty amazing.
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    not bad , but I switch to morning workouts and its always few eople there at that time