Any healthy ground beef recipes??

Options
I have some ground beef in the freezer and would like to have it for dinner tonight... Any suggestions? We're over tacos, spaghetti, hamburgers... bleh. Need something new and delicious!

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Meatloaf!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no such thing as "healthy" ground beef. Best you can do is to eat only 2 to 3 oz. for each meal.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no such thing as "healthy" ground beef. Best you can do is to eat only 2 to 3 oz. for each meal.

2 things. 1) You are incorrect 2) your cat looks like hitler
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    meatloaf and sloppy joes
  • kylashealy11
    kylashealy11 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

lol this made me laugh.

I'm actually thinking about a salisbury steak... like this one... http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/superfast-salisbury-steak-10000000665157/
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

False. Ground beef is just as "healthy" or "unhealthy" as most other cuts of beef. Get a grip.

OP: Tonight I'm making shepherd's pie but with mashed sweet potatoes and double the vegetables in the filling.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    bacon cheeseburger
  • kylashealy11
    Options
    bacon cheeseburger

doesn't sound healthy... lol
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Chili.....crockpot enchilitas I found tortia shells that are low car high fiber and only 50 cal that work great for this along with fresh veggies, organic kiddney beans, and low fat cheese
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I really like this recipe and if you have a family, it is kid friendly. Or, at least my picky nieces and nephews will eat it:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/broccoli_beef_potato_hotdish.html
  • kylashealy11
    Options

False. Ground beef is just as "healthy" or "unhealthy" as most other cuts of beef. Get a grip.

OP: Tonight I'm making shepherd's pie but with mashed sweet potatoes and double the vegetables in the filling.

I have very mixed feelings about sweet potatoes... hmm.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    sloppy joe
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I buy 97% fat free ground beef. here is an idea
    saute an onion and some chopped garlic in a tiny amount of oil until transparent, add a pound of ground beef and break up and cook until it changes colour, add a tin of diced tomatoes, some sliced zucchini, some chopped mushrooms ( optional) some pepper, ( you may not need salt taste first), cook until veg are tender, then add some cooked rice white or brown about 2 medium cups, also some dried oregano and basil. simmer for a few minutes then cool. The mixture should not be too " sloppy if it is add a little more rice. Use this to fill halves of red or green peppers, small eggplants ( you can scoop out some of the flesh and cook with the mince, even hollowed out tomatoes ) bake in the oven until tender. I sometimes cover them with foil and then remove it when they are tender, sprinkle a little low fat grated cheese over the top and leave until cheese melts. Any leftover filling can be frozen for using later. :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Keema (Indian Ground Beef Curry) (Edit post)
    Posted on 06/18/2012 by taunto
    This recipe is shared by my sister-in-law. Keema is a very popular dish in Indian/Pakistan/Afghanistan and is very cheap to make, plus it can be fairly low in calories because you get huge servings out of little amount of beef.
    Ingredients
    Onions 2 large or 3 medium. Very thinly sliced
    2 cloves (optional but they add a nice flavor and and arom)
    4 black pepper corns
    1 tsp cumin seed
    1 tbsp ginger+garlic paste. Can use fresh garlic/ginger too
    2 lbs ground beef (I used 15% fat but you can go lower leaner. Infact I encourage leaner. Any higher % fat ground beef is too much for Keema)
    1.5 tsp red chilli pepper powder (Use cayan pepper if you got it)
    2 tsp ground coriander powder
    1 tsp garam masala (can use curry powder though I wouldn't recommend it)
    1/2 tsp turmeric powder
    2-3 tomatoes depending on size finely sliced
    3 medium sized potatos into small cubes
    2 tbsp olive oil
    salt
    cilantro
    Recipe
    Brown the onions in olive oil. Once they change the color to golden brown add pepper corns, cumin seed and cloves. Add ground beef and giner/garlic. Let it fry in its own fat along with onions till all the water is evaporated
    Once there is almost no water left, add the spices (chilli pepper powder, salt, coriander powder, garam masala and turmeric powder). Stir it up and cook the meat with the spices for a few.
    Add Tomatoes and about 1 cup of water and let it cook on slow heat for about 20 minutes. Add the potatos and about 1 more glass water. Let it cook for another 20 minutes or till you feel the potatos are very tender. Ideally you want to have a bit of a liquidy curry since you will be serving this with bread or rice however if you want less liquidy Keema you can let the water evaporate more. Add cilantros and have at it :)
    I usually eat this with home-made chapati (Indian bread, very easy to make) or rice but you can use this for tacos and burritos too.

Nutrition info per serving
    This recipe makes about 8 servings
    Calories 357
    Carbs: 19
    Fat: 21
    Protein: 23
    Fiber: 2

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    oh, and chili... how could I forget chili???
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    you could do mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes on the shephards pie. That would be even more healthy!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

this....

also, add bacon...
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

I have very mixed feelings about sweet potatoes... hmm.

You do? Why?

They're nutritional powerhouses: high in vitamins E and C, excellent source of copper, manganese, potassium, iron and vitamin B-6. They're much better for you than regular potatoes just in terms of the nutrition they pack and they taste amazing. You can cook them many, many different ways (and in all the same ways as regular potatoes).
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have some ground beef in the freezer and would like to have it for dinner tonight... Any suggestions? We're over tacos, spaghetti, hamburgers... bleh. Need something new and delicious!

The easiest chili recipe on earth!

1 lb lean ground beef
    1 large can of no-salt added whole tomatoes
    1 can of low-sodium kidney beans
    *edited to add: chili powder to taste

Seriously... like 200 calories a bowl and a ton of potassium and protein.
  • sandyog19
    Options
    Next time try turkey instead of beef.. A lot healthier! Enjoy!