Replies

• newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no such thing as "healthy" ground beef. Best you can do is to eat only 2 to 3 oz. for each meal.

wrong
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have some ground beef in the freezer and would like to have it for dinner tonight... Any suggestions? We're over tacos, spaghetti, hamburgers... bleh. Need something new and delicious!

The easiest chili recipe on earth!

1 lb lean ground beef
    1 large can of no-salt added whole tomatoes
    1 can of low-sodium kidney beans
    *edited to add: chili powder to taste

Seriously... like 200 calories a bowl and a ton of potassium and protein.

I found organic kidney beans have the least amount of sodium in them (at least for the grocery stores around me)
  • fitagainmom
    Options
    I honestly have done this for years...I brown the hamburger, and I rinse it and then add back into the pan and add onions and seasoning...no one has ever noticed the difference. Just a suggestion!
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    chili
    and yes her cat does look like Hitler
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I usually brown it, throw in taco seasoning, then mix in tons of onions/cilantro and eat it by the bucket.
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Super Easy Bean Burgers

1 lb ground beef
    1 onion chopped
    1/2 cup ketchup (add more or less to your taste)
    1 can baked beans
    salt and pepper
    hamburger buns

Fry up the beef with the onion. Add in the ketchup and beans. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve on hamburger buns.
    I'll often add a bit of garlic when frying up the beef and onion.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Next time try turkey instead of beef.. A lot healthier! Enjoy!

Believe it or not... that isn't true. In many cases, lean beef is better than ground turkey.
  • OzarkMountainMan
    Options
    The first thing I found out about hamburg is to brown it well then rinse it off at least three times. I do it simply by filling the pan I've got the meat in with hot water, shake it around real well, then drain. Three times should let you see the amount of fat diminish each time on the water in the pan. I do this for all the meat I cook that I use in recipes. :smile:
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Hamburger Helper! :love:
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite sloppy joe recipe. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/10/skinny-sloppy-joes.html
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Stuffed bell peppers
  • kylashealy11
    kylashealy11 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

We try to eat ground turkey... I can't taste a difference, but my husband loves the beef.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no such thing as "healthy" ground beef. Best you can do is to eat only 2 to 3 oz. for each meal.

False. Ground beef is just as "healthy" or "unhealthy" as most other cuts of beef. Get a grip.

OP: Tonight I'm making shepherd's pie but with mashed sweet potatoes and double the vegetables in the filling.

I have very mixed feelings about sweet potatoes... hmm.

This may change your mind:

http://simplyfreshcooking.com/2012/05/mexican-sweet-potato-skins/
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    2 or 3 ounces times 8 right? I usually eat meat by the pound, not by the ounce.
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options

False. Ground beef is just as "healthy" or "unhealthy" as most other cuts of beef. Get a grip.

OP: Tonight I'm making shepherd's pie but with mashed sweet potatoes and double the vegetables in the filling.

That actually sounds really good.
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options

We try to eat ground turkey... I can't taste a difference, but my husband loves the beef.

I cant tell the difference either. I just need to use what is in my freezer so I can actually buy healthier stuff like that.
  • kylashealy11
    kylashealy11 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite sloppy joe recipe. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/10/skinny-sloppy-joes.html

doing this! yum
  • susanprows
    susanprows Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try this when using ground beef for any recipe... buy the leanest ground beef you can find. Crumble cook it in a skillet. Boil a kettle of water. Put cooked ground beef in a mesh strainer and pour the boiling water through it. That will remove a LOT of the remaining fat and you will have a very lean and healthy product. As with all meat, it is high in calories and cholesterol... this process eliminates many calories and a lot of the cholesterol... but you still have to pay attention to portion sizes. I know, 3 oz feels like a tease! Hope you like this suggestion. It is great for chili and tacos and soup... any recipe where there is a liquid or gravy type base.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options

2 things. 1) You are incorrect 2) your cat looks like hitler

So funny. Thanks , made my lunch break!!!