Beginner's Lifting (Proper Form)

Options
2»

Replies

• Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I read somewhere on here that LA Fitness "trainers" are not certified by any organization, and are only certified by the company.. so I'd ask about their certifications before I do anything with them.

Anyway, venture in and look to see who knows what they are doing. If they seem friendly, then approach and ask for tips.
    Videos are nice, but I think it's better to have someone there who can give you real time feedback.

What certifications sould I expect?

1. American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
    2. National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
    3. American Council on Exercise (ACE)
    4. National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM).

If they don't have one of these, what else would they have?
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I read somewhere on here that LA Fitness "trainers" are not certified by any organization, and are only certified by the company.. so I'd ask about their certifications before I do anything with them.

Anyway, venture in and look to see who knows what they are doing. If they seem friendly, then approach and ask for tips.
    Videos are nice, but I think it's better to have someone there who can give you real time feedback.

I wouldn't trust anyone or trainer to critique my form unless they have 'powerlifter' or 'bodybuilder' under their name.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    They put you on the weight machines and tell you how many reps.
    alone?

Do more research on a trainer. I have never been to one that uses machines. They are likely people that just work at the gym and aren't truly certified as a trainer. Be up front with them right off the bat and tell them you wanna LIFT!
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    BTW, thanks to everyone who has given input. Somtimes you ask a question and you get an answer, but than have 10 more questions. But the more I ask, the better off I will be. I do plan to purchase the NROLFW, but I just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet.

I also got a call back from the gym, and I have a 45 min assessment, tomorrow (where they will try to sell me PT sessions for an ungodly price). But I hope to go into it with a plan so I don't cave under some type of sales pressue (cause I can be too nice to my own detriment).

What I really want, is maybe a monthy accessment to see if I am progressing. I don't mind paying for that, but I dont want to pay for a babysitter.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a perfect plan of action. Don't give in to their sales pitches, they are taught more how to sell their personal training than how to actual train. Personally I would not use them even for a monthly review because they can manipulate that to make it seem like you would have more progress using them. Instead, track your workouts and how much you lifted using a website (bodybuilding.com, fitocracy, or something along those lines), buy a fat caliper, scale, and measurement tape and make your own assessment.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is come up with exercises that you think are best to achieve your goals. Search the internet and find a good workout program that you feel will help you achieve your goals, therefore bodybuilding workouts are not necessarily the best thing to do. Once you know the exercises you want to perform, watch vidoes of proper form and practice without weight using a mirror. Next, make your way to the gym, it is best to hire a personal trainer for a session or two just to help with form. Make sure you ask for a trainer with weight training experience and make sure your trainer understands your goals and what you want from the session before you start. If you can find a friend that knows proper form and is experienced in lifting, they will do fine and much cheaper.
    This is basically what I did. Looked up exercises, found an experienced friend at the gym to get started, called and got set up with a trainer. When I contacted the trainer, I was specific about what I wanted: free weight lifting form and kettlebells.
    What I really want, is maybe a monthy accessment to see if I am progressing
    Tell them that. Make a list of what you want and a price/frequency you can afford/accept. Stay in your limits.

Most importantly: have fun!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    BTW, thanks to everyone who has given input. Somtimes you ask a question and you get an answer, but than have 10 more questions. But the more I ask, the better off I will be. I do plan to purchase the NROLFW, but I just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet.

I also got a call back from the gym, and I have a 45 min assessment, tomorrow (where they will try to sell me PT sessions for an ungodly price). But I hope to go into it with a plan so I don't cave under some type of sales pressue (cause I can be too nice to my own detriment).

What I really want, is maybe a monthy accessment to see if I am progressing. I don't mind paying for that, but I dont want to pay for a babysitter.

i think one of the best ways to avoid a sales pitch is to be clear about your fitness goals, making sure they include something related to lifting, and sticking to those.

saying something like "i want to lose 20 pounds " or "i want to run a 5k" is pretty broad enough to invite them to try and sell you.

but if you say something like i want to be able to deadlift 200 pounds in 6 months then you're definitely going to separate the wheat from the chaff :laugh:

also i'm not sure i understand about the monthly assessment to see if you're progressing.. you progress by increasing weight. you dont need to be assessed to see that, you can see that for yourself when you load more weight
  • metroins
    metroins Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com

This. Don't be afraid, there is a womens forum section as well.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

The weights are where it's at.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Nothing...

Anyone can claim that they are a personal trainer, but it doesn't mean that they know jack ****.

What you are looking for, you probably want to go with someone who is part of NSCA.