Freaking Girl Scout Cookies

Options

Replies

• jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    My niece joined girl scouts a couple years ago and I found out then that you can just write a check out to have them donate the cookies to some place like a nursing home. Niece gets the credit, I get good Auntie points, no calories AND a tax deduction!!
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Well, I was good and didn't order any this year when the folks at work brought in their daughters' order form.

...BUT I ended up falling for the Butter Braid fundraiser instead and ordered 6 Butter Braids!!! For those of you who don't know what Butter Braid is, it's like a giant filled croissant (in loaf form). Yeah, there's no calories in there!

However, I'd made a promise to myself at the beginning of February that I would eat no baked goods until March 15th unless they were made from scratch by my own hand. Butter Braids don't quite count (even though you have to thaw them and bake them yourself). Hopefully, when March 15th comes around, I'll only bake one Butter Braid and have only one or two pieces total from it (make the dh eat the rest ;-) ).
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    broke down and bought 4 boxes
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I also love frozen thin mints! mmmm
  • klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    Options
    I, too, can't say no to the girls. So what I do is pay them the cost of a box of cookies and tell them to keep the cookies. WIN-WIN: I don't have cookies in the house and they get $ (because when my daughter was selling them, the troop only makes like 25 cents per box - this way it's all profit for them)

PS - Do they still have it where you can pay for a box to go to the troops?
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Klyb...

Below is answer to your question. Thanks Jojo...I am going to pass the word to my friend who went on a buying spree...to save her from NEXT year.!!
    My niece joined girl scouts a couple years ago and I found out then that you can just write a check out to have them donate the cookies to some place like a nursing home. Niece gets the credit, I get good Auntie points, no calories AND a tax deduction!!
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    MMMMMM. I don't care too much for the girl scout cookies but had to buy a few boxes from my nieces. Of course once you start eating them you're hooked, right. My faves are the Lemonades and shortbread. We still had lots of thin mint left because the kids didn't like those, so I've been crushing up 2-3 in with 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt. It's a yummy dessert for about 180 cals.
  • Jess522
    Jess522 Posts: 6
    Options
    Love, Love, Love the carmel delights and the lemonaides. But, I do have to say that even though we have 3 boxes on top of the fridge i have beena good girl and only eat 1-2 a night..
  • scaredofcoasters
    scaredofcoasters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love Thin Mints because they aren't terrible for you. You could have 4 and not break your diet. It's awesome!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I can avoid buying then because I never carry cash or my checkbook.....they don't take credit cards!:drinker:
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Somehow Saturday I happened to have $6 cash in my purse. I bought one box of Samoas. They didn't last the weekend but at least I can say I wasn't the one who ate the most of them...my husband did!
    Thin Mints are second best IMO and I wouldn't mind picking up a box or two of them and shoving them behind the meat in the big freezer in the garage!
  • mdeguzman
    mdeguzman Posts: 35
    Options
    Thin Mints are my absolute fav. No one in the house likes them so I don't even have to hide. I bought 3 other boxes for my boys and the Thin Mints are all MINE :)
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    You can now buy the cookies and donate the cookies or money to the troop or council - no need to feel guilty or have to eat them anymore.
  • Yammie
    Yammie Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the cure - become a troop leader and cookie mom. I am SOOOOOO sick of looking at girl scout cookies the thought of eating them makes me crazy!!!!!! I know, good cause and the girls will have a blast when we go camping in May on the proceeds, but urgh, I've sworn off the darn things! :ohwell:
  • shcroxford22
    Options
    I went to go reach for a thin mint today and then i realized my progress in just a week and i put that cookie away lol so fast!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I can avoid buying then because I never carry cash or my checkbook.....they don't take credit cards!:drinker:

This is always my excuse - But I am a sucker for the boy scouts or whoever sells the $10 popcorn :grumble: . Everyone in my office bought a bunch of cookies and they were delivered today and of course everyone is willing to share! I like Samoas ok but aren't really crazy the cookies overall, if I want a cookie, the hubby makes some BOMB sugar cookies from scratch! :love:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Those little Jezebels cornered me in the wal-mart parking lot. I was helpless. Like a little lamb. I couldn't defend myself...

... I left with a box of caramel delites, a box of thin mints, and a box of peanut butter sandwiches. BUT I took them to a party and only had one of each. So I was good.
    Damn, good move dude. Those things are pure evil... :laugh:
  • weaverc
    weaverc Posts: 158
    Options
    I love them all! Thin mints, dos-si-dos, tag-a-longs, samoas.... I love cookies. We aren't buying anything this year cause I just know that it is more temptation than I can handle. I did conquer oreos though. We have had oreos in the house for over a week and I have not had any since the three I had when we opened the pack. I think it will be harder to conquer girl scout cookies.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    My wife always gets me a box of white fudge covered Oreo's for Christmas. I haven't even opened them yet. Talk about control!!! They are 100 calories per cookie.

Those are my wife's and I's favorite oreos! We can only seem to find them when we are back in ohio visiting family. Out here in california we've never seen them at the market, which of course is a great thing.

edit: o and samoas are my fav girl scout cookies. someone left a carton in the coffee/break room and i had two...then i put them in my food diary, saw the result, then made my wife promise not to buy any this year lol
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm oreos... :tongue: