PCOS weight-loss input..

Options
I have PCOS and it makes it hard to get this stupid weight off!!! Anyone out there have this problem and if so what have you done to be successful?

Replies

• Chelseajohnson89
    Options
    I'm going on 8 yrs w pcos an I am struggling tremendously w my weight. Ill do great for a while then gain back... Good luck to you! Feel free to add me maybe we can figure this out together!!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Are you insulin resistant? I am and have been on Metformin for years. Once I really got serious about losing weight, the Metformin made it possible (when I seriously tried in the past, before Met, I just didn't lose much at all).

The other thing I've found an absolute requirement is exercise. An absolute must for me.

I have tried a low GI diet before and it did nothing but make me unhappy. So I don't limit my carbs.
  • lmbs1966
    lmbs1966 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have this too, I googled pcos and it says that doctors recommend a low carb diet, reducing carb intake,results in lower insulin levels which prevents further fat storage. Also, lots of walking is recommended. I was diagnosed with this two years ago, and the doctor just told me to diet and exercise, I was frustrated because I hardly ate anything and I would gain weight. I felt miserable about myself, so I got on to mfp and put in all my info and goals. I have just watched my calorie intake and I don't eat much bread, potatoes, cereal, or pasta. I started walking and am up to five miles now. I have lost 37lbs since August and feel much better. I have about 50 more pounds to lose. Hope this helps a little. good luck!
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have to keep my carbohydrate intake at 45% for breakfast, lunch, and dinner...For snacks, I keep my carbohydrate level at 15%....I have been following that requirement, since I started in September 2011. Keeping track of my food intake and exercise output has really kept me going. There are days, when I'm not perfect, but I'm honest about it. And don't rely on the scale numbers, because in the end, it is all about getting healthy.
  • nornas42
    nornas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of good PCOS groups here on MFP - you are not alone!

Metformin really helped with my insulin resistance if you have that problem. I try to restrict my carbs to a diabetic style diet - still eat good carbs, just watch the quantity carefully. (I freaking LOVE carbs.... it's so hard not to eat them, but after pulling back, its much easier to eat fewer of them. I love potatoes but I rarely eat pasta or rice. I eat very few sandwiches. I still love cereal in the morning but I try to make healthy, high-fiber choices).

Food/drink and exercise. I think PCOS women have a tougher, harder road, but its totally possible! I have friends who have lost the weight and kept it off with an active lifestyle and that's my goal as well.

I started MFP and my journey in Nov - I'm relatively new! Feel free to add me. I have a long journey ahead - 99 lbs to go before I reach that goal.
  • maddhare
    maddhare Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm insulin resistant and am also on Metformin. I've been on it for six years and it just seems like I have to do a crazy amount of exercise and cut out all carbs and sugars to even see the slightest loss. It's just frustrating!
  • ohhman10
    Options
    I also have PCOS... I just started MFP... My doctor wants me to diet and excerise before getting put on Metformin. I have been on it before and it made me sick so I'm gonna try the old fashion way first!
  • me765
    me765 Posts: 3
    Options
    I lost a ton of weight when I went on Spironolactone, it takes a good few months to kick in and some bad side effects at first but I couldn't live without it now it reduces all the symptoms. I stopped taking it and got bad carb cravings and put on a ton of weight but I already feel better since starting it again. I tried Metformin but unfortunately didn't make a difference for me.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS... I just started MFP... My doctor wants me to diet and excerise before getting put on Metformin. I have been on it before and it made me sick so I'm gonna try the old fashion way first!

What 'old fashioned way'? Metformin isn't a weight loss drug and doesn't cause weight loss (barring some possible initial loss due to side effects). It's treating a hormonal imbalance and nothing else. Exercise can help reduce insulin levels but not typically by a significant amount for those of us who were insulin resistant BEFORE we gained weight. That's like saying someone with thyroid issues is cheating by taking thyroid meds.
  • Sabine321
    Sabine321 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS for about 5 years now. It took me forever to figure out what to do to lose weight. And for me only a strict diet and exercise worked. Even after hitting my goal about 2.5 years ago, I still have to live on a reduced calorie diet and watch what I eat just to maintain. But it's worth it.
  • Cowgirl_Jody
    Cowgirl_Jody Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ive had PCOS for over 15 years now and its still a battle everyday. Im insulin resistant but have very low blood sugar. I took Met for years and it did nothing for me but make me extremly hungry and always craved carbs. i went off it without my doctors knowing and cravings went away as did always being hungry. I never went back on it. Its just a constant battle over food you cant ever have. I have finally come to realize its all about what foods you just cant have ever in your diet. When I eat what Im supposed to I do great, but it sure gets old fast.
  • Cowgirl_Jody
    Cowgirl_Jody Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also took Spirolactone for a long time and it helped with the hair problems and I swore by it too. My doctor left and my new doctor took me off of it and I was so mad!! It seems thats when I lost controle over my weight again
  • shannasaurus_rex
    shannasaurus_rex Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about five years ago. I didn't take it very seriously at first, just took my birth control pills and yo-yo dieted like always. Now that I'm married (in 2011) and ready to start a family, I'm realizing all the damage PCOS has done/can do. I have let my weight get so out of hand that I have well over 100 pounds to lose. I can't even believe I let that happen. It creeps and creeps and creeps up, and all of sudden you're like, who is that fat girl in the mirror??

Anyway, I'm working on it losing it (for good this time!) by eating more plant-based foods, less processed things, and using a simple pedometer to keep myself active. If I have learned anything over my years and years and years of losing and gaining and losing and gaining, it is this: gimmick diets rarely hold the test of time. The key really is changing your lifestyle - not that I've been wholley successful in this yet.

My advice is to eat real (not processed) food, move around more today than you did yesterday, and find a support system (whether they are family, friends, of strangers on MFP) who you can cheer on and who will likewise encourage you when you will inevitably feel discouraged. And...most importantly... don't give up on yourself!
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    ohhman10, if metformin made you sick, try the extended-release meformin. it makes a huge difference.

cutting back on processed foods, strength training, and paying close attention to carbohydrate totals works for me. the strength training is very important, as it builds muscle and helps muscles 'eat' glucose.

for anybody taking metformin: a long-term side affect seems to be a possible deficiency in vitamin B12. i mean very long term, as in years. i can't remember where i read that.
  • vwchel
    vwchel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was dx with PCOS in 2008. I didn't get serious about the weight loss part until this past summer. I started my weight loss journey with a 1 week detox. During this week I only ate fruits and veggies. No dairy, carbs, meat, sugar, etc. Black coffee and unsweetened tea were ok. I lost 10 lbs that week. As expected I gained a couple back when carbs were reintroduced about 6 weeks later. To date I am down 27 lbs. Only 4 more to reach goal #1. Goal #2 is another 20 after that. Now that the holidays are over, I am going to do another detox next week bc I have been stuck for a few weeks. Long story short, try a detox to jump start your weight loss. Then try limiting carbs. I also take Metformin extended release. This did cause some tummy troubles for a while, but once I got my diet under control, the side effects were much less intense. Now its only bad when I eat bad. Hope that helps! Feel free to add me :)
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and have lost over 180 pounds. What worked for me is cutting back on processed foods...trying to have one grain free meal per day most days (usually my evening meal) and working out 4-6 days a week with a combination of resistance and cardio :)
  • SiouxsieQueue
    SiouxsieQueue Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. Cutting sugar almost completely (and working out) helped me lose 40 lbs in less than three months. It was completely worth it. I have incorporated some sugar back into my diet and am still losing weight.
  • cwatson1214
    cwatson1214 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i was diagnosed with PCOS not that long ago. yo yo dieting for me as well. I am trying to take the Metformin, but it makes me very sick to my stomach, to the point where it effects my day. cant work because i am always in the bathroom. I stopped taking it and asked the dr what else I could take and she really wants me to stick it out and get slowly accustomed to it. I dont know if i can deal with it.
  • vwchel
    vwchel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i was diagnosed with PCOS not that long ago. yo yo dieting for me as well. I am trying to take the Metformin, but it makes me very sick to my stomach, to the point where it effects my day. cant work because i am always in the bathroom. I stopped taking it and asked the dr what else I could take and she really wants me to stick it out and get slowly accustomed to it. I dont know if i can deal with it.

Are you on the extended release? It makes a huge difference! Also, ask about Fortamet. That does the same thing but is easier on the stomach....might be more expensive though. I believe there is 1 more similar medication, Glou(something). Referred to as the "Cadillac" by dr. When I had the same complaints to the dr he told me to space my carbs evenly throughout the day. That didn't help me, but maybe it will help you. I found limiting my carbs to be much more helpful. It definitely takes time to get acclimated to Met. Start on a lower dosage and work up to the prescribed dose.
  • EmiLia1087
    Options
    I am 25 and I have PCOS and some insulin resistance (no diabetes). I was diagnosed in May of last year by my gyno. I've tried to lose weight by changing my eating habits, exercising, and nothing seems to work. Today my doctor prescribed me Metformin (once a day) and I'm really hoping that it helps me to lose weight. Weight has always been an issue and I'm ready for a change. I'm under 5 ft so any weight gain on me is easily seen. Ideally i would like to lose 70-80 and be within a good range of my BMI. From what I read there have been mix reviews as to whether Metformin helps in weight loss. I'm going to try and do a moderate carb diet and excise along with the Metformin to help in my journey. If anyone has tips or recommendations let me know!