Ideas for a 1000 calorie burn?

Options
2»

Replies

• janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I don't do well with running outside. Lately I go out and walk the hill behind my house with my husband at just before dusk. We did it tonight - I burned 973 calories. I wear an epulse2 hrm, he wears a Scosche & uses myrun or something on it. It took 2 hours. 45 mins into walking our hill and I had already burned 345 cals. The way down is easy. The way up is the calorie burn.

If you want, friend me, I talk a lot about hill walking.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I get the most killer burns doing plyometrics (lots of jumping), but if you have tricky knees, that would not be the answer. Neither would running! If you're looking for high burn DVDs, I'm a huge fan of P90X and Turbofire (no, I don't work for Beachbody), although they are not cheap. Jillian Michaels stuff is great too, and most of it can be found on youtube, I think. I love 30 Day Shred--I'm about 165 and I burn like 300 cals for one of those 25 minute workouts, so it's a big bang for your buck, time wise. I get a pretty high burn doing kickboxing, too, and it's a tad higher if I wear wrist weights for punching. And that can be fairly low impact.

Good luck! Have fun! :bigsmile:
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Stair sprints, or cycling, no question.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    If you're looking at a class, I'd go with body combat over zumba, for the burn. It's much more intense. I tend to get close to my running burn in combat, but nowhere near in zumba.

(Of course, this depends quite a bit on the instructor!)

I get my best burns from running.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Oh and zumba's pretty hard on your knees, so if you do decide to take that route, go carefully.
  • kraftya1
    Options
    tapout......gotta double up the routines.......great workout and fun
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I weigh around 187.5 right now and have never run! I run out of breath after 10-15 seconds. Knees also are not in great shape?!
    I was thinking Zumba could do a high calorie burn?

i think you need to start working on burning just a few hundred calories at a time first. baby steps. you can't go burning 1000 calories in a session right out of the gate.

start by walking. walk a little further and every few days. start running. no one says you have to run 3 miles all at once. run those 10-15 seconds and then catch your breath by walking a minute or two, and then repeat. soon enough you'll be running for 30 seconds straight, then a minute...